Saturn 50/60Hz Problem

Hi,

I recently installed a 50/60Hz switch in my Saturn and I'm pretty sure I've done something wrong!

When the switch is set to 50Hz, it works fine at 50Hz.

When it is set to 60Hz the Saturn turns off!

It also works at 50HZ with none of the wires connected (i.e. wires not soldered to switch).

I reckon I have not removed the existing trace from the motherboard correctly, (Due to it working without the switch connected).

Any thoughts?

I haven't got my Saturn with me at the moment (I'm at work), Im' going to try and sort it tonight.

Is it possible to scratch off too much of the trace? I am left with a mettalic looking gap, have I scratch too far, so that the points ave become joined again?

No, if anything there should be a gap (no metal left) in the trace where you are scratching. It sounds like you've just removed the coating on the PCB.

So I havent scratched away enough? If that's the case all is good, I though I may have gone too far!

Also I think I fried my mod-chip! It was working fine, that I installed my switch and it doesn't work at all.

Original CDs boot fine without the chip, but with the mod-chip inserted nothing will boot. Does it sound like the chip is blown?

Don't go at it like a mad thing, but you can probably afford to scratch away some more.

As for the mod chip, it's possible that something isn't quite seated right - the ribbon cable into the mod or the mod into the mainboard. That sort of thing can happen quite easily, especially if you've recently taken the Saturn apart to do the 50/60Hz mod.

I'll fiddle around with the mod chip aswell, but if it is blown I can get another one.

I have to say thanks mal I used your A-B solder bridge method to install the chip and I was done in about 5 minutes. Now I just need to get it working again.

Cheers for your help.

Nice, the switch now works. I hadn't removed the trace correctly.

My mod-chip is still not working, I've ordered another one :angry: so I just need to wait for it to arrive.

Back