Saturn games being ported to PSOne?

Yeah, I read about that some time ago (last year?) It seems nothing ever came of it, though.

Originally posted by antime@Aug. 07 2002, 10:54 am

Yeah, I read about that some time ago (last year?) It seems nothing ever came of it, though.

well that stinks -- would be nice to get some of those games at a cheaper price then the Saturn originals.

The article was from Feb 2001, but I had never heard anything like that before.

They should have at least done PDS, Shining Force, and some other big ones. They could easily sell them.

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug. 07 2002@5:21 pm

They should have at least done PDS, Shining Force, and some other big ones. They could easily sell them.

I'd hate to see those games be ported to the PSOne. Those games, and other exclusive titles such as NiGHTS and Radiant Silvergun are what make the Saturn the excellent console that it is.

Some would, some wouldn't. The Saturn has more processing power, but many games seem limited by the video processor which the PSX should handle better.

Originally posted by gamefoo21@Aug. 07 2002, 2:08 pm

i dunno do you think the games would work as well as on a saturn?

Doesn't the PS have more 3D capabilities?

I know the Saturn was much more of a 2D powerhouse -- especially with fighters.

Some probably wouldn't look as nice, but at least others could get the game -- looks aren't everything -- especially with the classics.

Heck -- re-release them on another system like CG or something. It's a shame so many good games "die-off" because once new systems come out, the old ones are pushed aside -- except by people like us Sega freaks
cool.gif

It is true that Saturn would lose a little bit of its charm if the key games got ported. Such a dillemma. But it doesn't look like it's gonna happen I guess.

But if anyone has heard any differently, please let us know

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug. 06 2002, 6:52 pm

No.

Basically, no one knew how to properly utilize both the Saturn's processors (or never attempted). The Saturn, when done properly, was a great 3D system. Look at the VF series (especially VF2).

Originally posted by MTXBlau+Aug. 07 2002, 2:55 pm--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ Aug. 07 2002, 2:55 pm)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Aug. 06 2002, 6:52 pm

No.

Basically, no one knew how to properly utilize both the Saturn's processors (or never attempted). The Saturn, when done properly, was a great 3D system. Look at the VF series (especially VF2).[/b][/quote]

I've never played a 3D PS game, so I wouldn't know.

That's just what I've heard.

So basically the PS1 sucks compared to the Saturn is basically what we've determined?
smile.gif

haha

The ease of development counts too, though not much considering PS2's huge library of games, some of them even good.

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug. 06 2002, 7:30 pm

So basically the PS1 sucks compared to the Saturn is basically what we've determined?
smile.gif

No, not really. What was determined was the Saturn was harder to program for. And that's not really a conclusion, but a fact.

The Saturn does have 'clearer' graphics though. But each system has their own merits.

I'm sure if there were better marketing and a single processor, and possibly a lower pricepoint the Saturn would/could still be around. I don't think the pricepoint would have been as much of an issue as the marketing and easier programming (and SDK support).

I think we will see most of the ports comming on gamecube, xbox and ps2 sorry psone... oh well.

Originally posted by stack99@Aug. 07 2002, 2:08 am

I think we will see most of the ports comming on gamecube, xbox and ps2 sorry psone... oh well.

Actually, a little while ago someone posted an article that showed that the xbox and gc would get ~15 games, and the PS2 would get ~35+.

And in other news, 1+1=2.

What's funny is when they get ported, the Saturn versions will still look better than the PS2 ports.
biggrin.gif
(may or may not be true... time will tell).

Basically, no one knew how to properly utilize both the Saturn's processors

I can't find the post over at the Tavern since it hasn't been archived, but IIRC Steve Snake told me that many developers did in fact use the slave SH2 (which is what I assume you mean by "both processors"), but mostly did so to avoid learning how to properly program the SCU DSP (which I gather is bizarre and scary black magic from a traditional programming standpoint). Considering that multiple-processor systems are not that rare (Genesis, SNES, PS2, a whole lot of arcade games, etc.), I think too much emphasis is put on that element of Saturn's architecture to explain its difficulty.

Back