Saturnin WIP thread

Runik

Staff member
It's Vbt's idea, so you know who's to blame :p

Shanghaï triple threat : the game loops after what I think to be the explanation screen

Shanghai.JPG
Shanghai1.JPG

Shanghai2.JPG

Hanagumi looks nice now ! Let's see if you can spot the differencies with the Mame version ;)

Hanagumi.JPG
Hanagumi1.JPG

Hanagumi2.JPG
Hanagumi3.JPG

Hanagumi4.JPG

Saturnin WIP

Great idea, isn't it ? You start to have really great results with Saturnin. keep on your good work ;)

:bowdown: :bowdown:

The first version was out in the beginning of april, and the second (and last) version was out in the beginning of august.

But I'm working on this since april 2002 :)

I fixed some colors and transparencies problems on differents sprites modes

030923Hanagumi1.JPG
030923Hanagumi2.JPG

030923Hanagumi3.JPG

I just need to fix a little DMA issue, and I can start to speed everything up :cool:

Well, it wasn't a DMA issue, it was just a bad color index calculation ...

Now the versus pictogram is displayed correctly :

030924Hanagumi1.JPG
030924Hanagumi2.JPG

I'm pretty much done with the graphic part now (even if there are some minor glitches appearing sometimes), it's time to launch my good ol' code analyst :)

Purikura Daisakusen shows a green screen then hangs (it writes in the bios),

Groove On Fight shows the credits on the lower part of the screen and zeros on the upper right and left (it uses the 2*1 planes mode that isn't added right now),

Shienryu hangs on the slave SH2 (Haze told me that this game should be rather easy to emulate),

Radiant Silvergun hangs after the resolution change, same thing for Dynamyte Deka, and all the others games (non IC13) just keep reseting (due to a master slave internal identification problem)

Right now, without any optimizations, on my athlon XP 1700+ i have an average 13 fps during the saturn bios, and 6 fps ingame in Hanagumi Taisen Columns.

That's not fast, I know, but I'm working on a texture cache system for the VDP1 that will speed things up. When it'll be ready, I will apply this technique to the VDP2.

And I also have plenty of others optimizations that can be done :)

I updated my website with a nice Shanghaï - The Great Wall screenshot.

Here are some more :

030928Shanghai1.JPG
030928Shanghai2.JPG

030928Shanghai3.JPG
030928Shanghai5.JPG

My VDP1 texture cache is working (it only needs a better discarding detection now), and with some more optimizations I have between 15 and 20 fps during the saturn bios ...

Hanagumi had a tremendous speed increase : 33% ! (I know, that's only 8fps :lol: )

You work too much Runik. I have a little question for you, why did you choose to use Open GL API instead of Direct X API ? maybe your goal is to port it on Linux :D

Well, because openGL is far easier to use than directX (for a beginner like I was when I started to deal with graphics)

But I didn't drop the idea to use directX later :)

ok :) I didn't know that Open GL was easier to use than Direct X API.

Eh, look at this you start to become famous :

pc_team.jpg

Ah ben ... ça ... ben alors ?!? :)

C'est le PC-Team de ce mois-ci ? On m'avait dit qu'on parlait de Saturnin dans le HS émulation (que j'ai depuis acheté), mais là c'est encore plus fort !

Il faut dire que je suis plus Joystick que PC-Team, c'est peut être pour ça ;)

Merci pour l'image en tout cas :thumbs-up:

Sorry for the french language, I think I work too much, I need to rest :p

I'm in the middle of a full rewrite of the VDP2 to change it into something more generic (and more maintainable), and after that I think I will look deeper into the cd-block :blink:

It's from a french video game magazine named PC-Team ...

The same guys that did Fabien Autrel's interview some years ago (it's still present on his website)

and the duck "hes so cuuuuuuuute"

Beware of what you say in front of him, because he can kick your ass :lol:

Back