Sega Ages: Phantasy Star II

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
ps21.jpg
ps28.jpg

Here are some new images of the upcomming Sega Ages Phantasy Star II remake for the PlayStation2. This game is scheduled for a February 24th release in Japan.

This one is looking awesome! I REALLY hope they have an english release.

Thanks to the Magic Box for the info.

Holy shit!

Look at Rolf! :cool:

You two seem to have forgotten about the Phantasy Star Trilogy being released as a pack here in the states. There WILL be a stateside release. All the Sega AGES titles are being released in the states.

Heh.. From the title screen, Kain looks a bit like Robert from KoF (KoF 99 anyway).

Is that Hugh on the left of Rolf? Rudo's got a big part of the screen left and above Rolf a bit. Nei looks interesting (right of Rolf), Shir looks great next to Nei, as does Anna above her. I guess that narrows the one above Rolf, between Rudo/Kain to be Amy.

I wonder how they're gonna translate the names as. Will he be Eusis in the English version, or be Rolf as he was in the original NA release? Anna's and Amy's names got switched between characters in the english translation of the original.

Hm...

Official Homepage :cool:

Lots of screenshots!

Character Page

Check out Shir! :drool:

Damn! Amy looks good too!

Actually, all the females look great! :drool:

Like my new avatar? :p

Various screenshots of the menus and battle screens

Everything looks awesome. I guess when you do a strong attack you get a close up of your character ala Capcom's "VS" series.

Screenshots of the story cut scenes

OH HELL YES! Rolf's dream sequence is pretty damn cool looking.

The cities and world map look to be the same, only updated graphics. :drool:

I cannot wait to see PSIV....

The greatest RPG series ever is getting so much better!

:cheers

Hm...

I read the japanese text and apparantly all characters have special abilities. You have a gauge or something like that and it charges with every attack you do, similar to Street Fighter. When full, you can release a special attack. There is another gauge, you can charge by not attacking and waiting (I'm not to sure about that, so if anyone has read the text as well please coment on this). And yes, you ARE able to change between new arranged backgrounds and the old blue grid.

Sweet... :drool:

God I hate that new anime art they gave the characters, They should have stuck with the old 80"s and early 90's style, or at least redone it a little better then THAT. Everyone looks horrible, especially Nei.

Other then that I have no quims with this game. I hope to see it in the states in the future cuz I love me some PS.

Thanks for the extra info! I hope some movies make it out soon.

So far, I can, without a doubt say that they took Phantasy Star art design and flushed it. I was hoping that the style of medevil meets futuristic body-armor would maintained for the remake, but it seems that 3D-Ages' character designer was too heavily swayed by Final Fantasy's 'oddworldly and unpractical' fashion theme to keep things straight.

Here's an example

01.jpg

vs.

rudoend1.gif

I mean, how in hell is that Bra thing going to protect Rudo i the new game?

Not to mention the character portraits..

He doesnt have the same thin James Woods/Dolf Lungdren look to him anymore.

rudobig2.gif

Instead, this guy here below is sporting a post-paralysis Christopher Reeve look. He doesnt look like a tough-ass hunter, set to avenge the murder of his family.

03.jpg

This isn't Rudo folks, this is Fabio making a guest appearance in a video game.

The other characters get me just as much. They should have hired Andrew from Ill-intent.. He does the characters far more justice than these sloppy 3D Ages goons.

Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that there are remakes of some of my favorite being made. It's just too bad that they will most likely be garbage

I like Rudo much more in this version.

He's supposed to be big, burly, and muscular, yet he didn't seem like that in the original.

My only problem is Nei. I know she's supposed to look real innocent, but she looks a bit too innocent in this version. In the original, you could tell she had strength under that, not so much in this version.

But then again, that observation is really for first time players. For those of us who have completed the original, we all know that Nei kicks ass. :)

So we are going to be able to buy the remakes of PS1 2 and 4 together? That would be cool. I also cannot wait to see IV as it was my fav in the series.

Yes, apparently, but we're going to have to wait some time. :( Stupid SCEA won't let them release them one by one over here.

They should remake PS3 as well; that would give them a chance to fix the problems with the original.

Originally posted by Darsh+Wed, 2004-12-01 @ 05:43 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Darsh @ Wed, 2004-12-01 @ 05:43 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>God I hate that new anime art they gave the characters, They should have stuck with the old 80"s and early 90's style, or at least redone it a little better then THAT. Everyone looks horrible, especially Nei.
[post=124805]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-RolfWrenWalsh
@Thu, 2004-12-02 @ 12:19 AM

My only problem is Nei. I know she's supposed to look real innocent, but she looks a bit too innocent in this version. In the original, you could tell she had strength under that, not so much in this version.
[post=124880]Quoted post[/post]​
[/quote]

Rock the vote! :lol:

Originally posted by it290@Fri, 2004-12-03 @ 10:01 PM

They should remake PS3 as well; that would give them a chance to fix the problems with the original.
Oh, like the fact that it wasn't really Phantasy Star? Yeah, that'd be an interesting one to fix. :p :D

The only way I could ever think to possibly think to make PS3 make sense is that it took place on one of the spaceships iwth the doms when parma exploded. (I think it was parma?)

You see pictures of those in PSIV, somewhere.. I cant remember where though, its on a PC screen. Anywho, in PS3 you went through from world to world, which i just tossed up to going from one dom to the next.

The only way I could ever think to possibly think to make PS3 make sense is that it took place on one of the spaceships iwth the doms when parma exploded. (I think it was parma?)

You see pictures of those in PSIV, somewhere.. I cant remember where though, its on a PC screen. Anywho, in PS3 you went through from world to world, which i just tossed up to going from one dom to the next.

Yeah, that's what I thought it was.

I hate it when people say that PSIII is not part of the main plot.

Major spoilers ahead!

"We're the descendants of the people of Palma, a planet that once circled the distant star Algo.  Palma was destroyed by an evil being that haunts us every 1,000 years, bringing death and ruin.  This evil incarnate is known as Dark Force!"

"The people of Palma were thinkers and creators.  They knew of the plans made by the evil being.  When the vile Dark Force stirred 1,000 years ago, preparations were made to escape from Palm."

"Our ancestors built a fleet of 400 spaceships.  This armada escaped the destruction of Palma and set off into space to find a new homeland."

Is that enough for you?

Here's some more:

Rika, Phantasy Star IV:

"Wait... This is not the only ship that escaped from Palma!  It seems that other similar ships were able to escape successfully.  Most of them landed either in Motavia or Dezoris, but it looks like some of them went right out of the Algo solar system.  I can't get an accurate number, but it looks like some tens of ships."

However, there are some flaws with Rika's statement.

Let us assume for a moment that PSIV is correct. After escaping from Palma, most of the worldships decide to land on Motavia and Dezoris. Yet this landing is never seen anywhere in Phantasy Star II. Are we to honestly believe that the landing of 200+ massive worldships full of Palman survivors landing all over Motavia and Dezoris was simply not shown to us within the game? That is far too much of a stretch for me.

It is undeniable that the ships were "cloaked" in some way when they departed from Palma, else Tyler would have seen the worldships escaping when he recorded the footage of Palma's destruction. But how 200+ of the worldships actually touching down on a planetary surface can go unnoticed, I do not understand.

Why in the world would they build as their escape craft gigantic ships consisting of domed, habitable worlds, when their trip was to be just a quick jaunt across the system?

Clearly, the very worldships themselves are the proof that they were designed to be long-term homes for the Palman refugees. If the Alisa III and the image seen on the Wreckage's screen are any indicators, every worldship was designed so that its domes would contain an assortment of landscapes, from plush green valleys to frigid tundras to arid deserts. It is absolutely illogical to suggest that such massive, living worlds were designed simply to get the Palmans from Palma to Motavia or Dezoris.

Everything you have said proves that it wasn't really part of the major plot. They (and you, and others) have simply fudged it hardcore to make it "work", even though there are still all sorts of problems with it.

PSIII was made by different people, and when PSII was made, there were no worldships. Again, this was fudged in later.

Yes, I know Phantasy Star III was made by the Golden Axe team, while Kodama was busy with another project, as was Naka with Sonic (although he only did PS and PSII).

This is a real shot in the dark, but with PSII and PSIII release dates being only thirteen months apart, look at this screenshot from the end of PSII.

Attachments

• dezo.gif
    dezo.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 113
  • dezo.gif
    dezo.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 108
  • dezo.gif
    dezo.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 107
Nice try. I mean really, some of the connection theories I've read are very interesting. Like the one where PSIII and IV take place at the same time. I'm exaggerating when I say it's not a PS game, because it is. But I think of PS III as a "side story" more. Really it's not a bad game, but regardless, PSIV is more of a sequel to PSII. So you could cut out PSIII and still retain essentially everything.

Back