Sega Already has Nintendo DS dev kits

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
Looks like Sega is already jumped on board to make games for Nintendo's new platform, the Nintendo DS. I have no idea what kind of power this thing is going to have, but maybe it has enough to where we have portable remakes of Saturn games :). Maybe even w/ updated graphics? :wub: . Here is the story over at IGN.

"February 06, 2004 - According to a report in Japan's Nikkei Industrial News, publisher and developer Sega is onboard to create software for Nintendo DS, a dual-screened portable set for release later this year by Nintendo. Sega's president Hisao Oguchi also confirmed that the company is ready to make software for Sony's forthcoming PlayStation Portable (PSP) system.

Hisao told Nikkei that Sega has been in possession of Nintendo DS development hardware since last year. Nintendo of America only recently sent out development kits to US development studios.

Nintendo DS, a unique new portable which is being called the "third pillar" to GameCube and Game Boy Advance by firm president Satoru Iwata, features two screens positioned vertically on top of each other and is able to play cartridge-based software. The device boasts two ARM processors and backlit screens. Nintendo promises that the system will be revealed in full at the Electronics Entertainment Expo, at which time it will be on display in playable form.

Sony's PSP handheld features a widescreen TFT LCD backlit monitor, a MIPS R4000 32-bit Core CPU, two graphics chips, wireless LAN capability and more. Development sources have indicated to IGN that games are already up and running with PSP emulation software and that the system is capable of outputting "PS2-like graphics." PSP is expected to launch before the end of the year.

Nintendo recently stated that its DS portable is not a successor to Game Boy Advance line and that it will not compete with the PSP. It also said that it is currently in development with the follow-up to its highly successful handheld."

-IGNCube

Errm, the article seems to tout the power of the PSP more than the GB DS. Sega is making games for PSP too. PSP will probably be considerably more powerful. Not that performance or graphics really matter.

I think it should by this point be expected for Sega to make games for ANY console that comes out. I mean shit they made a bunch for nGage.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Feb 8, 2004 @ 12:07 AM

Errm, the article seems to tout the power of the PSP more than the GB DS. Sega is making games for PSP too. PSP will probably be considerably more powerful. Not that performance or graphics really matter.

Not really. Consider that very, very little is known about the DS's spec, as well...

And besides, remember that the DS isn't designed as a powerhouse, and I don't think Nintendo wants anyone thinking that.

Ya, it's too early to know what the DS has in store for us. I am guessing it wont be as powerful, but more powerful isn't always better. I'm interested to see what SEGA will do w/ 2 screens. Any predictions on what SEGA might do w/ this console?

An RPG with stats on one of the screens. Probably a Phantasy Star or Shining Force remake. If the machine isn't a powerhouse, I can't really see the use of an extra screen, except for rather boring stats type screens. Maybe they'll do something interesting. If anyone does, it'll probably be Sega. :)

Since the machine is supposed to be launched soon, it would be more of a surprise if devkits weren't available. Some article/report I read said the DS would have an ARM9 as main CPU (no clockspeed was given) and the same ARM7 as the GBA to control the second screen. Not exactly a power-monster, but should allow for better software-rendered 3D. Naturally all reported specs should be taken with several tonnes of salt at this stage.

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Feb 8, 2004 @ 06:03 AM

And besides, remember that the DS isn't designed as a powerhouse, and I don't think Nintendo wants anyone thinking that.

I know. I did say that performance and graphics don't really matter. Nintendo could make a Virtual Boy 2, and people would buy it at this point. I was just pointing out that in his commentary on the article he seemed to hype the power of the DS, and his desire to see Saturn games ported/remade for it. Whereas the article itself seemed to more paint the PSP as being a powerhouse, though again, power means little in a fight like this.

If DS is really going to be a "third pillar" and not a successor to GBA, it means that Nintendo is doing something other than a general-purpose gaming handheld. One possibility that comes to mind is that they're making a specialized multiplayer handheld system - they had been in talks with Motorola to produce a wireless networking system for GBA, but to the best of my knowledge it never came out. If Nintendo believes that the market for it is strong enough, they may have opted to launch it as a seperate system to avoid GBA's screen size (GBA's screen is small by any standard, and multiplayer games tend to display a lot more info than single-player ones) and battery limitations, as well as the success-busting effects of add-ons in general.

Back