Segaxtreme will soon be closing [Updated]

SX tracks weren't removed, just placed somewhere else on the server at the moment actually.

I could host a few - just need to make sure its legal to host them ie copyrighted? I have an account and about 1GB I could use for SX with 10GB bandwidth. I guess you could work out whats best to use for that. PM me or whatever and I'll set it up for you.

So, now we can have a few of our talented posters take their web coding skills to task and make SX a little prettier, right? :D

I have been a longtime member, but as of late more a lurker than anything else, but this site has always been a sega-spot for me... a great place for everything sega and more.. so I would like to contribute to the site as well.

I'm up for people making some new SX themes. Anyone that wants to contribute should post to the thread with their ideas, I really would like to make things more community based.

This topic freaked me out. SX must never die!

These days I'm not on much because of my girlfriend and work. (WOW Also)

I'm sure a lot of people have had that same thing happen to them and it shows. I never thought I'd see a post like this on here; most sites just disappear after a time of non interest.

The issue with VGR didn't help at all either. Its been a downward spiral since then. I thought the whole thing was sad how a group of people (Rev, Skank, etc) tried to split up an online community. Hack or have the site hacked, block SX site ops from IRC chat, take over #segaxtreme on IRC, etc. The irony is that VGR doesn't exactly have an active community now.

Seriously, anyone remember back in 2001 when the site was booming and the forums were hard to keep up with? I do. It was a blast to come on and not only read, but post too.

It was awesome to find a site with a group of people who shared my love of Sega and there glory days. The blind fanboyism of some couldn't ruin it for me.

Thanks for the memories guys, I hope this site picks up again.

Later

Chris

p.s. My apologies for the long winded post.

cww80 (Or Cecil as I call him) and I share the exact same idea. Only it's work and on/off again girlfriend (Long, and somewhat depressing story. Don't ask.) that keep me from posting much anymore.

2001 was when I first joined, and in my opinion, it's peak. The whole deal with VGR was pretty pathetic too. That was back in January 2003 I believe (At least, that's when RevQuixo came back).

We can't focus on what happened with VGRebirth, Mowgli, Rev, etc. Remember, the VGR split came about because of the return of ISO trading, which had hit SX pretty hard the first time around. If you look in the forums, I was one of the people who was really against it too. It brought around the wrong kind of crowd. Then there was the DC games trading on direct connect and SX's association with that (some very dumb things were said by SX members)... it was a mess.

I agree that it could've and should've been handled better all around, especially without nearly as much acrimony from Skank, Rev and WarriorX, Mysticales, etc.

I think the most important thing (as pointed out by cww) is that the site was saved, purely because the community willed and wished for it. So now we should have some fun with it.

I've found out this thread randomly.

Oh my god !

Well, I'm a Saturn newbie, and what I'm glad to find here is support. I already knew docs from Rockin then Antime, but I like the forums for what it brings you : guru's advices.

For that, I want this site not to close.

I know it isn't everything, the site needs modos, host and so on, ... let's say time, and I'm afraid I haven't a lot. 'Guess that's quite the same for most of you.

Nevertheless, here's my gift to this site that I check ... twice an hour (!) : 25$. I know, you already got the 160$ for vB licence. But you'd know better than me what to do with that money for the Saturn Community.

Hope it'll help.

dibz said:
Note: If anyone is interested in taking over hosting for the site, we're open to the idea. Some basic notes are that the current compressed (not uncompressed!) SX clocks in around 12~13GB with media files, much less without them. The bandwidth is usually between 10GB and 20GB a month, also including media files and other downloads.

Hi y'all,

it's Eidolon from Eidolon's Inn.

I'd be interested in "taking over" the content and spirit of Sega Xtreme by in integrating it into my website.

Monthly traffic is not a problem, however the 15GB of files might need to be split on two hosts (one for frequently requested files at high speed, another one for less frequently requested files at lower speeds).

Let me know what you think - it would be really a shame to let all the great content here simply vanish into the mists of internet history.

I share your concern and frustration that interest in the Sega scene has become less and less since its activity peak in 2002... Maybe, site consolidation (bringing more people together on one site instead of watching all the small sites die slowly) can counteract that trend.

However, I certainly could not do the move alone. As some of you may know, my site Eidolon's Inn is a Wikipedia-like community site since 2004, which makes it easy for everyone to participate in creating content. So I would really be dependent on you to help make the move, by becoming "Authors" on the Inn, which means gaining the ability to create new websites, file and image galleries and forums there.

Regards,

Eidolon.

http://www.eidolons-inn.net

I really don't know if that's necessary, although thanks for the offer. We pretty much got over any hurdles with keeping the site online at this point.

vbt said:
just to wake up people

Oh my god, I've just seen the headline and got shocked. Haven't read the whole thread, but I hope that segaXtreme is NOT closing. Keep it going, guys.

Way to bump a really old thread Rockin-B. There was a point in time where segaxtreme was going to close down but the members all pulled together to raise money to pay for the server and the forum software. We also got rid of a few things to cut down on costs.

Opps my bad, sorry rockin-b :p Good idea on the lock by the way though i shall defy your lock and post this

Well, here we are again.

It's time for renewal of the forum software, which as usual, makes me reconsider the site itself.

First off, when Jelsoft was sold to Internet Brands a couple years ago, the software seems to have taken a turn for the worst. I've reconsidered my position on sticking with vBulletin. Honestly even though its one of the most popular scripts used by many popular sites, I feel it's primarily because it's too much of a pain in the ass to change.

What is every ones opinion of current forum software, paid or free? This is not a plea for donations. IP.Board has been looking nice, but frankly I haven't used any invision stuff in years.

That being said, actual segaxtreme usage has been in the decline in recent years. We had a slight boost some time ago, however, it seems to have pretty much gone to a standstill after the last time the site was compromised.

Personally I haven't had time to properly maintain the site in recent years, being that over the years I've acquired a wife, kids, as well as a good job. I know a few of you have followed similar paths. I'll be honest in saying I'm reconsidering closing the site, or maybe even giving it away or simply making the forums browse-able, but otherwise closed.

At the same time, over the years, I've found I no longer really have a hobby anymore, and am sorely in need of one. While it would be a sad day to close a (historical?) site like Segaxtreme, it's getting to the point of being a chore to maintain a site with little activity, solely to keep it online/open, with little chance of the activity growing as-is. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to chime in.

I think restoring a lot of the old content would renew some life with the site or an open wiki for Sega dev. Maybe you would hand of the site to someone with the time to restore/update the old content. A facelift and some advertising wouldn't hurt either. Both of those of course require time and or money.

I would hate to see the site closed. If it wasn't for this site I honestly would of never thought to develop for the Sega Saturn.

It depends on what you're trying to achieve I suppose. When the old content was online, very little of the additional traffic (which there was quite a bit of) translated into anything more then higher bandwidth usage and a bunch of leechers.

My honest, and rather brutal, opinion is that there are plenty of other old-school sites out there that are alive and current. Personally I see no reason anyone would jump ship and/or contribute the same thing in multiple places. Frankly, at least a few of them are ran by the people that used to drive segaxtreme itself.

I'm not going to pay to advertise this site, it's a waste of money.

If you can explain why a wiki or the old content (Much of which is outdated) would actually bring life to the site, aside from give the handful of regulars something to do, I'd be glad to hear it. The majority of the old content is honestly junk, with some good things mixed throughout.

The only real thing that would bring in people that I can think of is new content, which goes for most sites. Since hardware-sega is long gone, that pretty much leaves community projects, which we really don't have any to call our own.

The best resource that actually is unique to here is the information buried deep in the forums.

One thing that lacks on the internet is a good Sega dev wiki. SX used to be a hub with a much of dev resources for Sega consoles. A dedicated wiki with regards to sega dev would draw people in.

Back