Segaxtreme will soon be closing [Updated]

The forums seem to be the most appealing part of the site to the people actually interested in the community, and not just leeching downloads. At the present moment it looks like hosting will not be an issue, having received a few offers -- I can also host the forums myself likely without any issue on one of my private hosting accounts, as thats much less of a burden.

As for switching forum software, I'm up for suggestions, however many free forum softwares I find are slow to update when security issues crop up. It happens with all scripts of course, but it is what it is after all. Before anyone suggests phpBB -- No.

dibz said:
The forums seem to be the most appealing part of the site to the people actually interested in the community, and not just leeching downloads. At the present moment it looks like hosting will not be an issue, having received a few offers -- I can also host the forums myself likely without any issue on one of my private hosting accounts, as thats much less of a burden.

As for switching forum software, I'm up for suggestions, however many free forum softwares I find are slow to update when security issues crop up. It happens with all scripts of course, but it is what it is after all. Before anyone suggests phpBB -- No.

I could host forums also and I think with a big part of the files. I have an account with 10Gb and sure I can ask for a second account as I got two addresses. It's free accounts so I'd say they will never disapear.

Sure moving to a free board would be a good choice and money will be saved.

Moving to a free board would have some problems though, we'd have to go through the whole broken password for everyone issue again. Personally I would rather stick with vB, as I find the security (when properly setup!) to be very good. The theme itself can be changed quite a bit to make it more lightweight.

I've been a lurker / on and off again member for a while now and would hate to see this site go. If all it would take is a few donations to keep it up than I'm willing to donate. About how much more money $$ do you need to keep it running for the rest of the year. I can donate up to $50 USD by the end of the day. Again this site has been a great visit place for last several years not to mention lately I've been very board at work and the arcade became really attractive. :joyman: I'm always willing to donate to a good cause. Reply saying you still need donations and the money ($50) is yours. :motz:

Long live SX :rock:

What other sega (or any retro-gaming) forums are out there? Are any surviving, or were we the last one? Which ones would you recommend should we need to find somewhere else to live?

When I first started out, I was on Eidolon's Tavern as well as this one. It seemed a lot of people were on both. After a while I stoped regularing the taven because it didn't require registration and started just getting tons and tons of spam.

I think that some of the (non-forum) content needs to be saved, as it's history we don't want to lose, like manual scans, old magazine ads, etc, and useful things like the translations.

My question is, what other sites on the interweb specialize in these areas? For instance, gamefaqs seems to be the king of reviews these days, so it might be best to just send all the reviews over there, rather than trying to duplicate it. I know vgmuseum has cover scans and screenshots. Are there any other defacto places that have manual scans, CD scans, old ads, or translations?

I'd be willing to host any of those things on my site, assuming the size and bandwidth isn't too hight (not like music or movies). I'm planning to make my own retro-video game section to my future website.

It's kind of like when the SegaBase died. Someone setup a mirror of it so we can continue visiting it. That site should never be lost. Those essays on the history of Sega consoles are just AMAZING. I've actually read through them all several times just for the joy of it, they're so well written, and the nostalgia of reliving those periods of my gaming life. And then of course it's the only place that has information on every single Sega CD game ever made.

There's a few things I have on my site now that are unique things that are from abandoned websites. For instance, I have the replacement video clips from the Tenchi Muyo screen saver. It's from like 10 years ago, but the video clips in the screen saver were accidentally done in a mac-only quicktime format, and I found a site long ago that had reencoded them so they work with a PC. Then that site went down, and I was the only only remaining place on the interweb to have them (for a while, AnimeNation.com linked to my site to download them). And then I have those Genesis, 32x, and 3DO hu-card manuals that I got off a website that was shut down (curiously it was shut down because the owner of the copyright on those old hu-cards shut them down...) but I felt they were beneficial to the community so I kept them.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Maybe it's best to just keep the forums (so we save the archive of useful information in old posts), but let other websites have the media, who already have a bigger collection of the media.

I agree too, that the drop in posts seemed rather sudden. The place was very active. And then all of a sudden, a week went by with no new posts, and then ever since then, it's been only sparse posting. I even thought about trolling sometimes just to spice things up.

I think the problem is that, besides the occasional new DC game or sega PS2 title, there's nothing new to talk about. Only old things to reminisce about, and we've already talked about all the old things already. It's like trying to think of something new to talk with your wife of 50 years about.

I think that we either need to expand a bit more (become a whole retro-gaming forum that equally represents sega, nintendo, atari, 3do, commadore, odyssey, etc) to capture a larger user base, and cross-infuse the posts. For instance, dont have a 3DO forum and a sega forum, Because only 3 people post in the 3DO forum. It's best to mix them together, so that people who only read the sega forum will occasionally browse some of the 3DO posts and might get intrigued.

It's kind of like on some of the Hermit Crab boards I'm a part of. The more "social" ones have fewer topics, so you're forced to browse through more threads and see other things you might not have otherwise thought were interesting. But some boards have split every single possible aspect of crab care into it's own separate topic, and it's just a pain to have to browse all the topics, especially since individually, they only get like 1 post a week, but combined we'd have more active traffic of dozens of posts a day.

Getting rid of the site entirely would be a shame for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that its forums are a meeting place for people in-the-know about Sega hardware. The loss of these forums would be both an inconvenience to a lot of troubled gamers and a blow to progress on Sega-related projects of all kinds.

I remember when the cherryroms forums went down and I needed to ask some questions about my SNES copier. It took quite a while indeed to get those questions answered. I am perfectly aware that nobody owes us the work it takes to keep the site up, but I hope it is understood that there is still something valuable at segaxtreme, in the form of its community.

Let's keep the forums up!

Jedi Master Thrash said:
What other sega (or any retro-gaming) forums are out there? Are any surviving, or were we the last one? Which ones would you recommend should we need to find somewhere else to live?

Sega-16 is still up and going strong. That aside...

I have a gig of webspace and 5 gigs of transfer a month I can space for the site. Hopefully VBT can get that extra 10 gigs from his host. After friday if I have money left over after paying for school I will donate some more.

I will certainly contribute some amount of money - that's a start, since there's clearly a desire for SX to stick around. Most importantly, it's not just a community, but a resource. JMT is right - if SX disappears, a huge chunk of knowledge regarding the Sega Saturn, DC, CD, 32X disappears as well.

Let me sum up, if I may - a more lightweight forum theme, possibly a lighter-weight overall site redesign? (How much bandwidth does the text only documentation carry?) Perhaps merge many of the boards into several bigger ones?

It goes without saying that there are quite a few very intelligent people who still visit this site. Further, there isn't spam and there aren't idiots. On the intertubes, that's rare, am I not correct? We have to take care of what we can.

I've been pretty much a lurker these last couple of years, but I find the community here to be great. I'd be more than happy to donate some money if it will help SX up and running. 2k a year for hosting this site is an incredible amount of money. I hope that you can find a lower-cost or even free alternative . I also agree that the forums are the heart and soul of the site. If at least that can be preserved, then in my opinion SX will live on. It's a different world out there for consoles, but Sega is not out for the count. They're still making a games, and classic games compilations, so that must be there is still interest in Sega.

I could probably work on hosting it...

I'd hate to see everything disappear. I would need some help to try to organize stuff, but we'll see how it goes

Contact me for details

Hey guys, I just want to sum up the current status of this and what is likely going to happen.

At the moment it looks like the site in some form will likely stay online. So far it is pretty safe to say that the forums will be staying online. As for the other content, in case anyone is worrying, I do have a complete archive of everything stored locally. That being said, the site itself will likely undergo a slight redesign. Basically the heavy hitters are going to go, at least in their current form. All text based information (including pdf documents) will probably stay online, the manuals etc will probably stay as well. The soundtracks and possibly wallpapers will go due to the size and bandwidth they take, although that goes without saying -- they may just go to different methods of distribution.

So basically, at the moment we are just looking for donations towards the vB license -- with the target being $160. The paypal link in the menu is fine for donating, although please reply to the thread with the amount when you do. It'll make it easier for everyone to keep track. If enough goes over the $160, I may look for another form of hosting the larger downloads, but that isn't the immediate goal.

eek $160?!

Now I know why I run phpbb :)

I can host some media files if you want. I have a lot of storage and bandwidth that isn't being used.

I would be contributing to the site still, but mine has kept me more than busy.

I would never run it on phpBB if you paid me directly to do it. It's easily the script I see most often at work get hacked/exploited/causegenerallyserverbadnessonitsown piece I've ever seen, even the stock newest versions. Even if it was secure, I see what kind of crap that script does every day to a server without being hacked, and its just...not worth the price of free. I'm not against free scripts for the forums, but it isn't going to happen with phpBB. SMF or some other I might consider though.

As for the media, I really do question how much the community regulars (read: participating members) really use the music and wallpaper downloads. I imagine they are used by time to time by (semi-)active members, but I see very often that most active forum members never use the non-dev-related download content at all. I don't see any reason not to keep downloads like the manuals and document scans, as those aren't really leeched and never really cause any issues -- no worries there.

On the $160 thing -- honestly it does sound like a lot for a script, although I've seen many things that cost much more then that that aren't worth a toilet seat. vBulletin is pretty decent software when in the right hands, it does take a good amount of tweaking to really work well, but that really isn't an issue for us.

I just donated $20 via the PayPal link on the left hand side navigation bar. Transaction number: 4NS35597C6008001T . What is the current donation level at?

Looks like we have two $20 donations so far. Just in case anyone notices, the paypal link was updated just moments ago to go to a different email address. Looks like the old link was outdated and I wasn't aware of it -- don't worry though, we just moved the already donated funds over.

dibz said:
I would never run it on phpBB if you paid me directly to do it. It's easily the script I see most often at work get hacked/exploited/causegenerallyserverbadnessonitsown piece I've ever seen, even the stock newest versions. Even if it was secure, I see what kind of crap that script does every day to a server without being hacked, and its just...not worth the price of free. I'm not against free scripts for the forums, but it isn't going to happen with phpBB. SMF or some other I might consider though.

As for the media, I really do question how much the community regulars (read: participating members) really use the music and wallpaper downloads. I imagine they are used by time to time by (semi-)active members, but I see very often that most active forum members never use the non-dev-related download content at all. I don't see any reason not to keep downloads like the manuals and document scans, as those aren't really leeched and never really cause any issues -- no worries there.

On the $160 thing -- honestly it does sound like a lot for a script, although I've seen many things that cost much more then that that aren't worth a toilet seat. vBulletin is pretty decent software when in the right hands, it does take a good amount of tweaking to really work well, but that really isn't an issue for us.

I know what you mean -- I get a decent amount of spam, but I run things pretty low-cost, so I'm willing to deal with it.

The spam is only some of the problem on phpBB forums. I was more referring to the insane way it handles database access, and generally bad (internal) design. vBulletin is a little heavy server wise on it's default config, but with tweaking it is easily a top performer.

Just donated the promised $50 USD. The trasnaction ID 59M036813H039672U

I hope it helps. Also pleas try and keep the arcade section if you move the board to a new server.

dibz said:
The spam is only some of the problem on phpBB forums. I was more referring to the insane way it handles database access, and generally bad (internal) design. vBulletin is a little heavy server wise on it's default config, but with tweaking it is easily a top performer.

hmmm.... been running it over a year and haven't had any issues so far other than spam...

Back