SF Scenario 2+3 Translations

Jaded God

Established Member
I know Aspinia Translation Team translated the script into English for Shining Force Scenario 2... But I remember there being a patch for either Scenario 2 and/or 3 that patched the text into english for the game... Are those around or am I just losing it?

I took some time to scan Scenario 1 CD to lcate where it stores the text, but I failed miserably. Shame on my translation hacking skills.

I got both English and Japanese versions of Scenario 1, so I hoped to be able to find which files are different among both versions...

That's because it's using a type of compression or encryption(I'm still not entirely sure which as I never got around to analyzing the decryption/decompression function). So of course you won't find the text using traditional means.

Cyber Warrior X

It's nice to see people trying to translate this game, I too am trying to find where the text is, but I am having a hard time locating where the text may be to decrypt/ decompress. For those who have both the jap and US versions, are there files that are exactly the same that can be eliminated from the pickings? I only have the US copy of scenario 1 and do not feel like buying the japanese version, although it may have to come down to it since my P2P buddy with a tail is failing me.

I did a quick script to find the differences between the Japanese and the US versions' files. The differences between both versions are in the attached TXT file.

There are a few JAP files missing from the US version, and a single file that only exists in the US version (voices.dat). Seems SOA merged all voice files into a single file (quick guess).

I hope I could help with something.

Attachments

• SF3_Scen_1_Analysis.txt
    15.5 KB · Views: 135
    15.5 KB · Views: 150
    15.5 KB · Views: 133
I created a far more deeper analysis then that, and found out where some of the test in the game is, e.g. x5sara1.bin contains the text in the area of saraband with the church weapon shop etc, also as noted in the shining force forums, I also found info such as

it looks like as if some where in the range of

starting addr 00000000 to

ending addr 00001a64

are the same with the exception of bytes

0000001a

0000001b

tend to be slightly different

I also looked at this file an assembly file, but then I realized that i do not know saturn assembly lol so I am kind of stuck here with my translation for now. Another question I have is if anyone was successful with rebuilding this game, I think the ip.bin is larger then a 32 k but I don't know, a little help on this?

Well Translating is really not the issue, its figureing out how the text is being displayed, if its compression, encryption, or just jumping from one address to another to grab characters

the addresses I have shown above determine how the characters are displayed, so perhaps the rest of the data are just jumps to the characters above

I just saw some posts you made on Shining Force Central Forums.. Seems you found some of the files that contain the language!!

Perhaps someone with some saturn emu knowledge could make some sort of debug window type thing so you could see what the Saturn is actually doing when it displays text and from that figure out the compression or encryption algorithim?

Perhaps someone with a Saturn Devkit would have even more luck determing who what when and where is going on?

I don't have time to check it myself (would be useless too - my knowledge on low-level programming is very low), but maybe the Girigiri debugger can run it? I don't remember if SF3 was compatible with it, but it has ots of debugging facilities.

You could also give Satourne a try. It takes a while to setup properly (it'll crash on you many, many times before you get it to actually boot something), but it might be able to do it.

You guys are certainly on the right track. Keep checking those X5*.bin files

Cyber Warrior X

--------------------

"If I keep doing everything for you people, you'll never learn how to do this stuff yourselves."

Does anyone know the size of the Shining force 3 IP.bin, I have a feeling it is a lot bigger then 32k, also what would be the best program to use to recompile this mofo, the psx compiler or whatever runs out of memory for me

YES thanks cyber i will now continue with my progress of translating

wow that code was crazy, but I managed to straighten in out and made a dialog version, now on to reversing the process

Back