Snatcher and Bladerunner

Supergrom

Ban Hammered
Well, yesterday i had nothing to do, so i sat down in front of my tv, and played straight through snatcher for the first time. Amazing game, i might have to set next saturday apart and play through it again, see if i can find some more cool stuff =). Anyway, i was looking at some snatcher webpages afterward and stumbled upon this. It got me interested, so i went out and rented bladerunner. Id seen a little before, but not much (and i promptly fell asleep, missing almost as much as last time, but thats beside the point too). I noticed that in the beginning of the movie Deckard (Harrison Ford) is beckoned over by an oriental food vender. He orders 4 of something, and the man says 2. Deckard insists that he wants 4, and the old man persists that 2 will be enough, and Deckard adds that he wants some noodles too.

In Snatcher, when you are in Atlan plaza meeting Napoleon for the second time (the time he is dressed as Santa), and you persist in looking at the area, you can get lunch at a Ramon restraunt. The conversation that Gillian has with the Ramon man follows the bladerunner one almost exactly.

Nothing that important, just a cool little tidbit that i stumbled on. Anybody else find others? I think Kojima MUST have been a fan of bladerunner for their to be so many parallels and references.

Yeah, it's pretty cool actually; the BR shit in Snatcher.

Snatcher is basically the videogame version of Bladerunner for me.

Policenauts also has a lot of reference to Lethal Weapon as well (though, not as obvious as Snatcher).

(Edited by Rade at 1:34 pm on Feb. 27, 2002)

Quote: from Cynnamin on 9:55 pm on Feb. 26, 2002

Why don't you read the book Blade Runner since the movie was based on it and then rethink your sega references.

Huh? I think we were just talking about the movie and the obvious visual and story based homage it pays to the MOVIE.

Are you saying that there are more references in the book as well, or are you just being book elite?

Why don't you read the book Blade Runner since the movie was based

Just a minor nitpick, but the book is called Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (except for the versions which were retitled to cash in on people who saw the movie).

Quote: from Cynnamin on 1:54 pm on Feb. 27, 2002

*rolls eyes*

Next, please.

If your going to roll your eyes about something, please try to make it look like you know what you are talking about next time. We were talking about the movie not the book. If you played Snatcher you would know it plays massive visual homage to the movie.

Now, if it paralled the book in writing form, then yes, then that would be cool as well, but I have never read it, so I don't know that.

I remember hearing somewhere that the title "Blade Runner" was taken from something with illegal surgeons or something, and that was just because it sounded cool. I wish I could be more specific.

Quote: from ExCyber on 2:00 pm on Feb. 27, 2002

Why don't you read the book Blade Runner since the movie was based

Just a minor nitpick, but the book is called Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (except for the versions which were retitled to cash in on people who saw the movie).

that's the last book I've read, too :)

As for Snatcher, one of the reasons I bought Snatcher when it came out was because the reviews at the time were saying how much the storyline was like Blade Runner.

That's the only game I've ever had to order to get, too, aside from Jap imports... it couldn't be found in any stores in my neck o' the woods.

I remember hearing somewhere that the title "Blade Runner" was taken from something with illegal surgeons or something, and that was just because it sounded cool. I wish I could be more specific.

Yeah, I heard it was taken from an unproduced screenplay that was completely unrelated. I'd imagine that "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" wasn't ever going to be the title once the screenplay was well underway, because:

1) It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but the animal keeping stuff didn't play much of a role in it IIRC (was it even properly mentioned?), whereas it's a recurring theme in the book.

2) It's too long for us dumb consumers to remember...

3) It just sounds really odd, and the overall result suggests that they were much more inclined to go with cool than strange.

Well yes, Bladerunner was based in DADOES but had several changes. As mentioned above the removal of the animal references and catastrophic damage to the earth is mostly removed (except for the "Come to Mars" commerckal thing kept even in Snatcher). Another thing removed was the "mood organs" and the "specials", as well as the replicant animals (that were more mechanical robots that organic androids), Mercerism etc.

A lot was removed for the movie, but all that is not refered in Snatcher. For a nice combination of both, the movie and the book play the Bladerunner game, which is quite cheap nowadays. It has a very nice storyline and if you liked Snatcher sotywise/visually I am sure you will like that title (more point and click oriented though)

Regarding ths kind of references Kojima uses the a lot, as mentioned above also, Lethat weapon characters are the model for Policenauts, Sting in Dune for Randam, Rick Deckard for Gillian Seed, Snake Pliskeen for Solid Snake...

The scal ereference in the bath tub, Ridley Scott (in the Isabella Velvet Profile, The creator of the masks in Snatcher which was also in charge for the visual effects in Bladerunner.. gotta love all those

The book "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and the movie, Blade Runner, are exremely different. This is very obvious from the first page, where you see that Deckard wakes up next to his wife. Also Rachael seduces Deckard and they have sex, She knows she's a replicant from the start etc. So whoever it was who was "rolling their eyes" obvioulsy knew relatively nothing as all of the similarities run between the movie and Snatcher and the book is rather a third wheel.

Anybody play the pc version of blade runner I follow the guide but it never lets me get past the beggining . I am stuck where the chief is supposed to run away .

so, i cant get out of the factory in snatcher, even with th guide. Mind you i think that is a burn error more than anything else. When i move into my new place and get the DSL installed there i must try and find a bin/cue version. Save all those audio sync errors :)

I remember scarce reviews of Snatcher before it came out, and rented it at the local video place when it did come out. I was so drawn into it I couldn't stop playing it until I beat it. Probably the only time I've ever done that. Been one of my fave games since. I quickly bought it after I rented it, and have managed to keep it in perfect condition. Unfortunately my SCD crapped out on me and I couldn't play it, but with Gens finally able to emulate SCD, I was all to eager to pop the game back in and relive the experience.

I always really ejoyed the relationship between Snatcher and Bladerunner, but they are different enough to live out their own worlds, so I couldn't think of Snatcher as any kind of ripoff, merely homage. The Blade Runner PC game is also a lot of fun (but not quite to snatchers standard) and really expands on the word brought to us in Blade Runner.

As for Policenauts, it's said to be a Prequel to Snatcher, so I needed to get that right away. Alas, they never translated it into English. I bought an imported copy despite my lack of understanding to Japanese. Unfortunately the PSX emulator I have won't play the game. It locks up partway into the intro, and I have to play it on a emulator because my PS2 is not modded to play imports, and I will not be modding it. But, Snatcher is great.

Yea, I was amazed at the similarities between BR and Snatcher. Alas I have only seen the Blade Runner: Director's Cut, which is apparently crap compared to the original. WHY hasen't someone released the ORIGINAL Blade Runner on DVD yet?? Another big similarity is that of the Snatchers and the Terminator. Without the skin, snatchers look EXACTLY like Terminators!

Originally posted by Ransom@June 26 2002,19:06

As for Policenauts, it's said to be a Prequel to Snatcher, so I needed to get that right away.

Well, it isn't actually a prequel.. if you take a time line, it happens before Snatcher... but it is completely unrelated. The same way MGS takes place even before Policenauts, and Meryl even appeared in both games, but even then, it has no strong relationship besides the director/writter and Meryl. It could be said they occur in different universes.

Originally posted by BTails@July 12 2002,19:30

I have only seen the Blade Runner: Director's Cut, which is apparently crap compared to the original.

Not enough changed to make it "crap".

Ridley Scott basically removed the things he was forced to put in the original movie by the money dudes. To put it short, they were a narration made by Deckard during several scenes of the movie (because the producers thought people wouldn't understand the movie "as is"), and the happy ending scene (Deckard and Rachel riding a card in a sunny scenery), that was completely out of place.

There was also the unicorn sequence, and a few other scenes...

Originally posted by Artemio Urbina+July 15 2002,21:34--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Artemio Urbina @ July 15 2002,21:34)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Ransom@June 26 2002,19:06

As for Policenauts, it's said to be a Prequel to Snatcher, so I needed to get that right away.

Well, it isn't actually a prequel.. if you take a time line, it happens before Snatcher... but it is completely unrelated. The same way MGS takes place even before Policenauts, and Meryl even appeared in both games, but even then, it has no strong relationship besides the director/writter and Meryl. It could be said they occur in different universes.[/b][/quote]

but! in mgs2 there is a policenauts poster!

artemio, if you read this i need you to get in contact with me please.

Back