Some Predicting a Downturn In the Gaming Industry

I say its allready happening. The video game industry has been on a downward spiral (quality wise) for a while save but a few good games. Games these days are giving in to the new generation masses which want realism violence and sex or any combination of the above. Those do not always make a great game so they just keep spewing up crap for us to buy and play once or twice. Then thats it, its garbage... Real games are those we always fall back on when we are tired of the new games. I brought my saturn to school and my classmates were amazed by what that lil thing could do especially 10 player saturn bomberman. We all have more fun playing games like that or starcraft than games like wow or guild wars. End.rant();

Anyone with at least a few braincells has said this for the last 5-6 years.

BBC was just a little late to the party.

The real issue causing the down turn is the introduction of "next-gen" consoles, or at the very least the constant focus on increasing the graphics quality among other things. The cost of developing games that can visually wow consumers, which in turn sells games to the majority of consumers -- good game or not, also rises exponentially.

With that in mind, funding sources then define what games should be made rather then the developers that actually make them. Which means, no one is going to pay a fortune to develop a game that doesn't have a high chance of a decent return. This in effect makes the vast majority of games clones of popular franchises. With this in consideration, I still don't own a 360 or PS3 -- and I doubt I will. While its true there are/will be good games for both systems, I'd rather pay more for a unique less technically impressive game then I would for the same game I've bought many times over in a new coat of paint. Granted many of them "try new things" -- although as much as the girl thinks differently, its the same girl if she's wearing another girls pants.

...which is probably why the Wii and DS are ahead of the curve. The games that are made for both consoles aren't visually pleasing like Gears of War or Resistance, but they are fun.

This happened to the comic book industry a couple years ago. Comics became overvalued and people stopped buying them to read, but instead just to horde for a future payoff. The bottom fell out, and now they're forced to write compelling stuff (instead of for instance Image Comics' one trick pony of sex and violence).

That, and the generation that grew up gaming on the Atari and so on are getting older. As we got older, the games got older. There aren't two button d-pad mashers like when we were kids - 6, 7, 8 year olds have to get used to 10+ buttons. The learning curve was a bit easier for us - AND - even if they get a handle on it, there's only Disney retreads that are appropriate for their age groups (not including DS and Wii stuff).

Unlike Sega which was too early for its time for a lot of things (going CD when people were still using carts, for instance), I think Nintendo got the right idea and is a) attacking a segment that isn't age specific and b) keeping costs low by not cranking out huge blockbuster games (isn't brain age a popular game right now?).

At some point the graphics are intricate plot lines are going to be a bit much for everyone except the most hardcore of gamers. Heck, I can't find any time to play the third installment of splinter cell on the xbox.

Now that you mention it, I did forget to mention the Wii in my last reply to this thread. I do own one of those, and like MTXBlau points out I like the games because they are fun -- I also own a DS.

My 2 year old also agrees completely, and practically demands a round of Wii Sports every night before her bed time, with her favorite being tennis followed closely by Baseball. And yes, she did beat me at wii baseball, I'll admit it.

dibz said:
I'd rather pay more for a unique less technically impressive game then I would for the same game I've bought many times over in a new coat of paint. Granted many of them "try new things" -- although as much as the girl thinks differently, its the same girl if she's wearing another girls pants.

Let's make it a little more entertaining and reapply your entire theorem to the girl example, shall we?

So inretrospect, you just said that you'd rather pay more for a less visually pleasing woman as opposed to unbelievably hot. One that will stick around longer however with unique, enjoyable qualities, and not one that you would play with for a little while and then put behind you forever.

Sounds like you have a very good relationship with your games. ;)

Back