Sonic and the Secret of the Rings for the 30/03/2007

vbt

Staff member
It could be the sonic we are waiting for many years. All latest sonic were quite bad, the Sonic fo the XBox360 has really bad ratings.

secretrings01.jpg

Attachments

• secretrings02.jpg
    secretrings02.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 129
  • secretrings03.jpg
    secretrings03.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 125
  • secretrings04.jpg
    secretrings04.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 117
Maybe it's just me, but this is the only way for Sonic to go back to his/its roots is to do a pseudo rails type game (if we're going to insist on 3D), like Sonic R or Panzer Dragoon Orta, with branching levels, like Outrun, which is what this appears to be.

Sonic in 3D space is too much like a 'Sonic in Mario world', and you lose what made the game so great - ridiculous speed, beautiful vibrant worlds and attitude.

Article on the game here: http://www.gwn.com/news/story.php/id/11022/title/Sonic_and_the_Secret_Rings_Due_March_07.html

Maybe what the Sonic franchise needs is the Wii. Maybe the controller will give back something that was lost once it made the switch from 2D to 2.5D (Sonic 3D for the Saturn). I will say Sonic for the N-Gage is pretty fun, even if the game doesn't work well with the screen.

yeah I too miss the old 2d platform sonic. The new sonic games just don't get me excited like when I bought sonic 2 for my genesis all those years ago.

Honestly, I think it was a miracle that Mario transitioned so well into 3D. Nintendo knows what they are doing. The Sonic Adventure games weren't bad, but let's face it; Sonic is a 2D game. It was designed very well in 2D - to translate it is difficult. It can be done, but Sega really needs to understand the 3D world better.

To me, Sonic is built around speed. The SA games definitely capitalized on that, but was "on-rails" as was stated before. If you want a free-form 3D Sonic game, you'll need to give Sonic a safety-net, an "air-bag". I don't know exactly how to do this, but you'd need to keep the sense of speed while giving the breadth of freedom a 3D game has to offer. I think it can be done; it was done to certain extent in the 2D games. Of course, you'll always have hardcore fans that will hate it: Not everyone loves the Metroid Prime games. I don't like them - they don't feel right. But damn, you can't argue that they're not well made. Same with Castlevania. I hope this new Sonic game will be good. It certainly has the potential.

What I dont understand is this, has the market for 2D games dried up to the point where a traditional sonic game would fail miserably? Why can't sega just release a brand new old school style game with mind-blowing graphics and gameplay that runs at 60 frames per sec?

There are still 2D games being released on handhelds. Perhaps that is why handhelds are so popular at the moment. Because the games are more simple and based more on gameplay than latest technology.

It's being released on 30/03/2007, the Third of Tridecember?:tomato:

I thought that the first couple of "action" levels on Sonic Adventure 1 for DC were extremely good translations of what the 2D sonic would look and feel like in 3D.

Especially that level where you're running at lightnight speed down these air-bridges and everything around you starts breaking up and thrown into a giant tornado. It was really cool.

I don't understand why they didn't just keep improving on SA1, instead of going backwards in quality. And then of course, everything xmanofstle said.

(BTW, where'd all the other smiles go?)

tsumake said:
Honestly, I think it was a miracle that Mario transitioned so well into 3D. Nintendo knows what they are doing. The Sonic Adventure games weren't bad, but let's face it; Sonic is a 2D game. It was designed very well in 2D - to translate it is difficult. It can be done, but Sega really needs to understand the 3D world better.

I read on wikipedia that most of the concepts for Mario64 were done while in the Snes era and was designed to be a Snes game at first Using Super FX chip technology. So by the time they came to make the game for the N64 they already were toying with the idea for a long time.

tsumake said:
To me, Sonic is built around speed. The SA games definitely capitalized on that, but was "on-rails" as was stated before. If you want a free-form 3D Sonic game, you'll need to give Sonic a safety-net, an "air-bag". I don't know exactly how to do this, but you'd need to keep the sense of speed while giving the breadth of freedom a 3D game has to offer. I think it can be done; it was done to certain extent in the 2D games. Of course, you'll always have hardcore fans that will hate it: Not everyone loves the Metroid Prime games. I don't like them - they don't feel right. But damn, you can't argue that they're not well made. Same with Castlevania. I hope this new Sonic game will be good. It certainly has the potential.

Yeah I agree some games don't feel right in 3D I also don't like Metroid Prime compared to the 2d games.

I think the pinnacle of Metroid was Super Metroid on the Snes.

I Personally liked the Sonic adventure games however they were a mixed bag as the article on Racketboy's website outlines. The free roaming sections were rubbish I prefered the all out action stages.

This game looks a WHOLE lot better then the XBOX360 counterpart.

But that isn't saying it is going to be great yet. I am definately waiting to see how it performs after release. If I hear good things then, I will buy it.

I was REALLY pissed with Sonic on XBOX360 and PSU on PC. I won't purchase a new Sega title for a while until something really freakin' wows me.

Jedi Master Thrash said:
It's being released on 30/03/2007, the Third of Tridecember?:tomato:

I think it's only you crazy Americans that put the month first when writing the date like that.

Yeah, pretty much. I prefer to stick with YYYY/MM/DD myself, avoids confusing us stupid americans. ;)

Well, in some cases it can't be avoided I guess. heh

mal said:
I think it's only you crazy Americans that put the month first when writing the date like that.

I think there is a couple more places that do it as well.

I think he knew that though... that may be why he has the tomato throwing gif next to the statement.

dibz said:
Yeah, pretty much. I prefer to stick with YYYY/MM/DD myself, avoids confusing us stupid americans. ;)

Well, in some cases it can't be avoided I guess. heh

I prefer this form as well... but people I know have problems with it. You should see it at work. We deal with paperwork coming in from all over the world and the DD/MM/YY and YYYY/MM/DD are the forms we come across most often and half the employees in the office can not get their heads around it. WTF?

Well back to talking about the game. I heard the basically sonic will be constantly running and you will only have steering capability with the Wii remote. It sounds like a bit of fun but still not in the same class as the 16-bit Sonic games. Keep trying Sega!

msimplay said:
I read on wikipedia that most of the concepts for Mario64 were done while in the Snes era and was designed to be a Snes game at first Using Super FX chip technology. So by the time they came to make the game for the N64 they already were toying with the idea for a long time.

Hmm... I didn't know Shigeru and company were tinkering with 3D for so long. Makes sense though. At least Nintendo thought of software and hardware hand-in-hand. Too bad the other companies don't....

Yeah I agree some games don't feel right in 3D I also don't like Metroid Prime compared to the 2d games.

I think the pinnacle of Metroid was Super Metroid on the Snes.

I Personally liked the Sonic adventure games however they were a mixed bag as the article on Racketboy's website outlines. The free roaming sections were rubbish I prefered the all out action stages.

I quite liked SA1 as well. SA2, I couldn't stand. It should have been at least as tight as the first.

How's this for a thought - Releasing a PSP port of SA1/SA2, or making another Sonic game in a similar vein? Considering that the PSP has the same graphical prowess as the DC.....What do you guys think?

tsumake said:
How's this for a thought - Releasing a PSP port of SA1/SA2, or making another Sonic game in a similar vein? Considering that the PSP has the same graphical prowess as the DC.....What do you guys think?

It could work, but I'd hate to see the franchise diluted, especially by releasing games that the community at large disliked (or at the very least, simply tolerated).

I doubt it'd be a money maker, anyway, for the aforementioned reason.

The release date got bumped forward,its now coming out Feb. 20th

I'm hoping it'll be good... the most recent games should tell me otherwise but on the bright side I highly doubt anything could be worse than Sonic 360/Ps3

I believe Sonic and the Secret Rings is for the Wii only actually (exclusive).

Yet another reason I want a Wii. :)

Back