SSF

I haven't seen many posts about it (the search won't allow me to search "SSF" because it's too short), so I decided to post.

Now that I got a processor that can run it (the lastest SSF versions require SSE2), I rushed to give it a try. And I'm impressed! It run nearly anything I threw at it, with sound, at nearly full speed, and the graphics are *very* close to the Saturn's. Even the VPD1 "glitches" are there.

And Grandia is almost perfect on it (the only major bug is the missing battle backgrounds):

I am playing Burning Rangers in the lastest version, and it works 100%. Almost full speed (slight auto-frameskip), full featured (even the transparencies are working), no glitches. It's entirely playable.

I'm running it on an Athlon 64 3000+, and it loads directly from disk without any kinky aspi instalation needed.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Tue, 2005-10-25 @ 12:22 PM

I am playing Burning Rangers in the lastest version, and it works 100%. Almost full speed (slight auto-frameskip), full featured (even the transparencies are working), no glitches. It's entirely playable.

I'm running it on an Athlon 64 3000+, and it loads directly from disk without any kinky aspi instalation needed.

[post=141053]Quoted post[/post]​

its great to see saturn emus running good :banana i have a saturn but will prob play with it a bit

To improve, SSF needs to:

1. Lay off the fancy processor instructions until the majority of the world uses them.

2. Allow loading from binaries and CD images as well as CDs, and bypass the security ring.

SSE2 has been around since 2001, and is hardly fancy. You also clearly don't have any original games, or have not tried SSF because it quite happily bypasses the security ring. If you absolutely must use binaries, I'm sure daemon tools will work just fine.

For a piece of alpha software, I'm mightily impressed.

SSF is one of the oldest Saturn emus. It works fine with deamon tools and CD-R.

I'm wondering why they don't call it version 0.9. I don't know the newer versions, but the only advantage that other emus got (compared to the old SSF I'm using) is speed and debugger capabilities.

If it works with Daemon Tools, why is there no way of choosing which CD drive to use? It just ejects my CD-RW (first CD drive) for me, which I find rude.

The lastest versions have a nice "CD-ROM" selector in the options (did you try the options?).

I just tested some games using Alcohol's virtual drive, and it works like a charm.

BTW, you can change the emulator UI language to English by editing the "default" file in the "message" folder. Just put "English" on top of "Japanese", and everything will become readable.

Since the image output seems Saturn perfect in most games, and the speed is very good, SSF turns out into a nice tool for taking screenshots of Saturn games to spread some Saturn love on the internet.

My bigger interest in saturn emus is to test translation stuff without having to record to cd-rw and try in the real thing once and another. So, SSF is becoming a really handy tool.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Wed, 2005-10-26 @ 12:11 PM

The lastest versions have a nice "CD-ROM" selector in the options (did you try the options?).

Are these the same latest versions which require SSE2? If so no, because I don't have an SSE2 processor and can't foresee getting one for a while.

As I said, it just loads, instant fullscreen, and spits my CD drive door at me.

The old 0.6x SSFs did work for me, with both originals, CDRs and mounted images.

It shouldn't spit the CD without at least displaying an error message (did you change the emulator UI to english?). Probably some ASPI issue.

Anyone able to get a shining force 3 to work with ssf? SSF just detects it as a audio cd with 2 audio tracks. I am using alcohol with a mounted image. Other games seem to work.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Wed, 2005-10-26 @ 06:04 PM

The old 0.6x SSFs did work for me, with both originals, CDRs and mounted images.

It shouldn't spit the CD without at least displaying an error message (did you change the emulator UI to english?). Probably some ASPI issue.

You misinterpret - it spits the CD drive for me to insert a game CD, there's no UI to change so I can't choose my CD drive, and ASPI is fine.

Does your CD drive appears in the drive list on the options screen?

I remember the 0.6 SSF versions had SERIOUS ASPI issues. It took forever to get a proper ASPI setup that made it happy. Most of the time it either won't find some or any of your drives, sometimes the drives are there but it can't read anything from them.

I knew SSF was the best way back in 2002. =)

Damn I can't wait to get my A64.

I'm wondering why they don't call it version 0.9. I don't know the newer versions, but the only advantage that other emus got (compared to the old SSF I'm using) is speed and debugger capabilities.

The author posted on his BBS that he will rewrite the frame counter in 0.08 because right now its useless, and as a sideeffect the emu will display the fps by default. He also posted a few other things but I don't remember.

Seeing the release numbering he used so far, I'm wondering why the latest release wasn't 0.08 anyway.

Well, most of the releases were bugfixes anyway, I guess new version numbers will always have major changes. I can't even imagine how 1.0 will look like.

region lockout removal is completely and entirely unneeded, you can already change the region the emulated Saturn uses in SSF.

Back