Star Wars III - Revenge of The Sith Opinions..

[Spoilers]

I watched the film yesterday.

I loved the opening battle between the droid’s fleet & the republic’s star destroyers.

It looked amazing! They got that idea from the numerous Japanese Anime/Games, where huge SpaceShip fleets collidewith excessive use of lasers & various other weapons, like in Robotech/Macross, Gal Foce, etc… But most of all it reminded me of the battle between the 2 fleets in the 2nd level of RayForce, only this one was taking place very close to the planet’s surface.

I Also liked General Grievous’ flagship, it was so cool the way it got right next to the StarDestroyer & both sides started firing the canons like in Captain Harlock in Arcadia, last battle scene.

Personally I was with the droid army. They looked cooler. Especially the 2 body guard-warrior droids with those cool energy spears. (Except for the basic droid soldiers. Their heads looked hilarious for an action epic film.)

The General himself was both cool & funny. I kind of felt sorry for him in the end.

The 2 actors playing Obi-Wan & Anakin looked like wimps.Very bad choices for those roles. Luke Skywalker in the previous trilogy sucked & looked gay. The cheapest thing I noticed in this trilogy was how easily the Jedi Knights could reflect thousand’s of lasers with just one sword. I mean come on how fast can you get? Maybe if they were using the energy shield’s from Phantom Menace, but not with 1 sword!

Most hilarious part was the Coliseum scene in part 2 where the 20 Jedi’s even though were overwhelmed & surrounded, they lasted with minimum loses against 1000 battle droids that were firing lasers at them simultaneously!

Yeah right!

This wasn’t as bad in the previous trilogy.

I didn’t feel sorry for the Jedi’s slaughtered in the end, but it felt very cheap of how easily & fast they were put down by the storm troopers in relation to when the droids were trying to. (They didn’t lack fire power either) Why couldn’t they reflect the lasers like they did with the droids? The storm troopers were much less in the assassination scenes.

Most of the Jedi’s looked like retards imo.

The battle between the emperor & Master Yoda was cool.

I don’t understand why they showed the battle in the Yuki’s home planet? It was irrelevant to the rest of the plot.

Also I never imagined the way Anakin was injured in the end. I always thought that he had been injured in the destruction a Star Destroyer or something similar & barely escaped with his life. The Volcano battle scenes were laughable! There is no way they could have survived over an active volcano & without even having a sweat!

It was stupid the way they put Anakin on the operating table & started operating, without even bothering to take off his burned clothes, clean him up or treat his 3rd degree burns that had covered most of his body.

Other than that, I agree that the scripts were very poor compared to “Attack of the Clones” (The conversation between Obi-Wan & Count Dukou were cool & the scripts involving Christopher Lee in general from the previous film, were perfect) it would have been better if Christopher Lee had played a larger role in SWIII, the dialogues would have been a lot better.

[End Spoilers]

If one loves excessive use of modern special effects & is fan of the originals saga, then they will love SWIII, if not stay away!

Best actors in the series imo:

Ser Aleck Guiness

Christopher Lee

James Earl Jones (Voice)

Ian McDiarmid

Best Star Wars films imo:

Star Wars II – Attack of the Clones

Star Wars V – Empire Strikes Back

I thought it was the best of the new trilogy, faint praise that it is. The dialogue was woeful at times (eg, A:"You're so beautiful", P:"It's because I love you", A:"No, it's because I love you more!" Me:"WTF??!?") and pointless at others. The acting from Portman and Christensen was hopeless and the pacing and editing confusing.

I was disappointed. I don't expect Shakespeare, but I don't want to be cringing in my seat either, or bored senseless by the next drawn out lightsaber fight/effects shot either.

Originally posted by Curtis@Tue, 2005-05-31 @ 04:36 AM

I thought it was the best of the new trilogy, faint praise that it is. The dialogue was woeful at times (eg, A:"You're so beautiful", P:"It's because I love you", A:"No, it's because I love you more!" Me:"WTF??!?") and pointless at others. The acting from Portman and Christensen was hopeless and the pacing and editing confusing.

I was disappointed. I don't expect Shakespeare, but I don't want to be cringing in my seat either, or bored senseless by the next drawn out lightsaber fight/effects shot either.

[post=134728]Quoted post[/post]​

I hoped Count Douku would have played a larger part in SWIII. I was kind of dissapointed by that.

It was so lame the way they managed to escape from General Grievous in the beginning. ("Hey C3PO, get them!)

Attack of the clones was better than this imo.

I just want the beginning video with battle of the 2 fleets.

Very anime looking.

I haven't watched, don't really plan on watching it... ill see it though, sooner or later. Someone comes by and slaps it down on my coffee table or something. I'll put it in and watch.

You won't catch me spending money on it though. Shit I'll be powering my TV off my neighbors outlet to watch it!

I absolutely loved it. :D

It had cheesy dialogue, some dodgy acting and plot holes just like any of the other 5 films - yes, I'm including the original trilogy. :eek:mg: ;)

And people, don't forget - it's just a movie.

BTW, it all makes just a bit more sense if you've seen the episodes of Clone Wars that were on Cartoon Network before seeing Episode III. That series rocked. :thumbs-up:

It does what it should have... as all my friends enjoyed it. It caters to what the fans wanted.

im just not a fan...

Doesn't make it a bad movie, im just not watching it.

I saw it at the midnight showing on the Wednesday/Thursday before it came out--I'm not a huge Star Wars fan I just love midnight showings. Yes it was better than Episode I and II, but it still wasn't earth-shattering. I suppose in the film's defense it would be pretty boring to have more plot development, since everyone who's seen the original trilogy already knows the story. If Lucas was shooting for an entertaining action flick to tie the movies together, than I say he was successful.

Definatly best of the PT series. I agree with most, the romantic dialogue was so forced. I did enjoy the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight. Even though the Jedi were taken by surprise, I thought they could have lasted longer. The only ones we say putting up a fight were the younglings. And I hated the Yoda/Emperor Palpatine fight. I don't care what people say, Yoda flying around and doing backflips makes no sense.

Better than episodes 1 or 2, but that isn't saying much...

The biggest problem is that no matter what happens, we (who have seen the original trillogy) already know what's gonna happen. You didn't know Anakin was gonna get burned by volcanic lava? I thought everyone knew that. That was covered back in 1977.

The best scifi films of the last decade have been films that weren't really scifi flicks at all. Contact was really a spiritual drama, Starship Troopers was really a war film, 12 Monkeys and Butterfly Effect were really psychological thrillers. And so on...

I didn’t feel sorry for the Jedi’s slaughtered in the end, but it felt very cheap of how easily & fast they were put down by the storm troopers in relation to when the droids were trying to. (They didn’t lack fire power either) Why couldn’t they reflect the lasers like they did with the droids? The storm troopers were much less in the assassination scenes.

I don't think that a Jedi Master (As presented in the movies) could have so easily been caught off-guard, especially by weak minded clones! They could have easily sensed their thoughts & killed them before they even tried to.

In that case the Jedi's battling against the droids, would have had a lot more trouble, seeing as they were mindless machines...

But they didn't.

Most of the Jedi’s looked like retards imo.

By the way...

Similar battle scenes as SW3’s opening battle are also in:

RayForce - 2nd level just before you fight the boss, 2 fleets collide in close proximity of the moon’s orbit.

RayStorm - 4th level when you take on the Sicilian 3rd fleet around earth's orbit

Thunder Force V - 5th level you fight against the judgement sword fleet & you witness some huge battle cruiser exploding in the background just like in SW3’s opening battle.

Macross DYRL - Last space battle between the Zendrandi & Meltran fleets.

I’m sure there are a lot more.

I love this type of space battles.

Most of these anime/SWIII space battles mentioned, also remind me of the real world war II Battles of Midway or the Battle of Jutland between Japan & US. 2 huge fleets colide & bullets are fired towards all directions. That's where the idea originated.

The previous episode was better than SWIII imo.

It was good, but I was disappointed after my high hopes/initial rave reviews/hype.

I would agree with most of the positive comments on here, but I have to point out the main problems IMO:

1) When it comes to romance scenes, George Lucas can't direct himself out of a paper bag.

2) This episode seemed very rushed. There was so much to fit in in a short period of time. In order to fix this, they should have made it longer, ala Lord of the Rings. Or they should have put the beginning of Ep 2 in Ep 1 (instead of all the long, drawn out stuff **cough Pod Racing cough**) Then put the beginning of Ep 3 in with Ep 2. Then focus more on the fall of Anakin and rise of Vader in Ep 3. It seemed in Ep 3 that Anakin gave into the Dark Side WAY too easily and quickly. I mean it was pretty darn obvious that the Emporer was up to something and Anakin even realized it, but he just went ahead with it. THEN he didn't even do the thing that was the supposed reason for turning to the Dark Side. He seemed to just forget about Padme and went ahead and started killing everybody right off the bat. Very strange.

I saw it the day it came out, thought that the opening scene was too many computer graphics. Supposedly, all of the real-film scene was shot in less than 2 days. That's what, 30 seconds of film? And the rest was all digital.

I'm not saying digital is bad, but Lucas is promoting all digital, no film. With digital, you don't have the occasional grain, speckling, or even the same lighting effects it seems. In fact, it seems so perfect that it can even be fake sometimes.

As for the flim itself, I thought it was pretty good, better than attack of the clones, but not as good as phantom menace.

racketboy, I totaly agree. The movie was so rushed. The actual Darth Vader transformation took, what, 5-10 minutes tops. I would have liked more.

Who here saw Clone Wars before watching Ep. 3? I feel it did make more sense knowing that material as well. I know some people who didn't see it and had questions.

Lucas realy isn't a very great director. Other than American Graffiti and the original Star Wars, he has sucked.

Originally posted by schi0249@Sun, 2005-06-05 @ 01:18 AM

Who here saw Clone Wars before watching Ep. 3? I feel it did make more sense knowing that material as well. I know some people who didn't see it and had questions.

[post=134920]Quoted post[/post]​

I sat down and watched them again before seeing Ep III*, and a lot of things made much more sense.

Like General Grievious and his coughing if nothing else...

*mind you, I watched Ep I and II as well, but then I'm a lost cause. ;)

What made me like III better than the other two was that it actualy contained all the plot that prequelled the original trilogy. Neither I nor II actually had necessary plot to lead into IV. But III had anakin turning into Darth Vader, Leia and Luke being born, and Leia going to Alderaan with Bail Organa, and Luke going to Tatooine with his aunt and uncle. Seeing the alderaanians using a familiar corvette. Yoda and Obi-wan talking about going into exile. And the best part was seeing Vader and the Emperor inside the star destroyer at the end with everyone in original trilogy fleet uniforms, and seeing the death star under construction. All the stuff I was waiting for was here.

But that still didn't mean everything went smoothly. First off, Leia said her mother died when she was very young, and she had memories of her. This doesn't fit with padme dying giving birth. How does Luca$ explain that?

The biggest problem was why Anakin turned to the dark side. That is so freakin' lame. It was obvious that the emperor was probably giving him those visions anyway. He allowed billions of people to die just so he could learn a way to save padme, even though he only would have a month max to learn it, when it probably took the dark lord a thousand years to learn it. I mean, when I think of Darth Vader from the original trilogy, I just can't picture him as someone who gave up the light side for a girl. Lucas should have come up with something way more imaginative than that. Oh wait, lucas, imaginative, not since the 80's, sorry. Howard The Duck had more creativity.

And you're right, lucas can't do love scenes worth crap. The only reason they worked in the original trilogy was because they weren't outright love scenes. It was the tension and conflict and not-admitting feelings between han and leia and triangle with han and luke that were done well.

And what was the point with the wookie battle? The whole thing was over before it started. The only point I can think of was an excuse to make more toys and hype without actually adding useful content. And according to the literature, aren't you supposed to die if you touch the ground? The whole wookie world is supposed to be enormous dense high trees, and you never even see the ground. Everthings supposed to be up in the treetops. So that was just dumb to have the entire wookie battle happening on the shore and on land. And there's nothing about chewie remembering yoda in the originals.

I think the prequilogy would have been much better if they stayed true to everything from the original the whole time. They should have started out with real star destroyers, instead of having these inbetween clone-wars star-destroyer esque ships. You can tell me that during the next 20 years, the empire abandoned its entire fleet of clone star destoyers for an entire new fleet of new star destroyers. The clones should have been using the same armor as original storm troopers.

I'm curious, when in 1977 did they say how Anakin got disfigured? I don't recall that.

There were a couple of actually interesting parts though. The first was the implication that R2-D2's memory never got wiped, only C3-PO's. This would mean that R2D2 remembers everything from the past during the oriignla trilogy. The other was the part about how Obi-wan spent his time on tatooine learning the ghost trick from qui-gon (sp), and that also explains why he let himself die so easily on IV. Well, I'd originally thought that all jedi masters turned to ghosts. but when did anakin learn this trick? And why didn't qui-gon disappear when he was killed?

Still, I did finish up the movie in the theater thinking wow, I might actually want to watch this (and only this one) as the prequel to IV. But the more I think about the flaws, the more I'm not so sure anymore.

Back