Star Wars Trilogy DVD Packaging Leaked

As atrocious as nearly all the special enhancements are to A New Hope, the enhancements to Empire were actually good (they didn't "screw" with anything in Empire, they just enhanced). I could have lived with it, even if some of the New Hope enhancements make me cringe.

But Return of the Jedi was another story altogether. Jedi was already perfect. There were no flaws. Even Lucas realized it, but he's a money grubbing commercialized morally vacuous person, so he had to change it anyway. He did the unthinkable. He changed, didn't just enhance, but completed barfed up both musical sequences.

The original Jabba's song was perfect. It was catchy and fun, and fit the atmosphere and movie pefectly. But by the devil himself, he changed it. Put in a completely new song which is just pure dung and doesn't fit at all, and added in these CG flying around things that make it look like a bad cheerios commercial, and added three lame-arse dancing women who just don't fit in at all.

The original Ewok celebration song was perfect. It was catchy and fun, and it fit the atmosphere and movie perfectly. But by the devil himself, he changed it. Put in a completely new song which is just pure dung and doesn't fit at all. The original song was even choreographed to the dancing and things they were doing, and the newsong is nothing more than cheaply layered ontop. The original song sounded like it was being sung by ewoks. The new song songs like the backup band for britney spears. Not to mention adding in those stupid slides of celebrations from other planets. There's no way other planets would have known about it that quickly, and anyone who's read the books knows that everything but the fringes was still being controlled by imperial commanders. There would have been no celebrations.

He went too far. I could have reluctantly lived with the other changes. But he mucked up the Jedi songs. I can never even forgive him for that. I will do everything in my power to assure that the *original* original trilogy lives on as it was intend by pre-commercial sellout Lucas (kind of like appreciating pre-commercial sell-out Metallica).

The laserdisc versions of the original original trilogy are what the good DVD copies are made from, and it's the best source. The laserdiscs had enhanced surround sound too. And the picture from them is even better than the sucky edition DVD copies made from vhs and VCDs. It's hard to find them on ebay though. Nearly all the DVDs on ebay are the sucky editions.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Mar 4, 2004 @ 07:36 AM

But Return of the Jedi was another story altogether. Jedi was already perfect. There were no flaws. Even Lucas realized it, but he's a money grubbing commercialized morally vacuous person, so he had to change it anyway. He did the unthinkable. He changed, didn't just enhance, but completed barfed up both musical sequences.

Is Jedi really that bad?

When the special editions came out back in the mid 90s I saw the first two, but ran out of enthusiasm by the time Jedi was screening.

It shouldn't be difficult to make DVDs from the LDs, just time consuming.

And most likely it won't be a perfect capture either.

You're probably better off just getting an old LD player.

Cheaper and easier

Originally posted by Curtis@Mar 4, 2004 @ 10:03 AM

You'd need a decent capture card too. Add "expensive" to "time consuming". ;)

ph33r the expense. :lol:

Originally posted by mal@Mar 3, 2004 @ 10:22 PM

Is Jedi really that bad?

When the special editions came out back in the mid 90s I saw the first two, but ran out of enthusiasm by the time Jedi was screening.

It shouldn't be difficult to make DVDs from the LDs, just time consuming.

Yes.

I saw all three when they came out. Mostly because I had not seen full-screen versions of 4 and 5 ever, and 6 only as a 5-year old in the theater. And I was very enthusiastic about finally seeing all the monsters on both sides of the screen in Jabba's Palace.

It can't be that expensive to get a decent capture card? Recent GeForce and Radeon all-in-wonder cards do real-time high-resolution capture. I've got the Asus V6800-Deluxe. Actually it's relatively old, a Geforce 1 32mb card. But it's got the full complement of S-Video and RCA I/O, and supports real-time 720x480 MP2 encoding. Though I guess it was fairly expensive. The card cost me :):cough:: my dad) about 350$ some 4 years ago. You see why I'm not so willing to upgrade anytime soon... The audio card on my new abit IC7 motherboard includes optical audio I/O. I don't know if lazerdisc players are made with optical out.

And most likely it won't be a perfect capture either.

Not just likely, but practically a certainty. LD is natively composite, and there is no practical technique for flawlessly decoding composite video; even the three-line comb filters found in high-end sets still introduce artifacts.

Does anyone know of a video capture programme that will also capture AC-3 audio? I've got an SPDIF input on my motherboard, but I'm not sure how to use it. :blush:

BTW the video I've captured doesn't look that bad... :D

you sure it's an input and not an output?

maybe there's not a difference -- I'm not an audio connections expert :)

Originally posted by racketboy@Jul 3, 2004 @ 01:19 AM

you sure it's an input and not an output?

maybe there's not a difference -- I'm not an audio connections expert :)

It has both an SPDIF input and and output.

Cloud - I'll see what I can do. I had to delete them a while ago as I was short on disc space, but it wouldn't take much to re-capture them.

Originally posted by mal@Jul 2, 2004 @ 11:21 PM

cool -- what soundcard is it?

I would think there is some setting in your driver/soundcard software to select that input as your primary input and just use any recording software

Originally posted by mal@Jul 2, 2004 @ 06:21 PM

Cloud - I'll see what I can do. I had to delete them a while ago as I was short on disc space, but it wouldn't take much to re-capture them.

Sounds cool!

How many trailers are there? Just one per movie?

Edit: Hey mal, I found the trailers for A New Hope and Empire. I can't find one for Jedi though. Do you have it?

I dont know. I havent watch the videos in a long time.
STTrilogy%20003.jpg

Back