Strange audio problems

My saturn is drunk and slurring its speech. Basically, all the audio is very echoey, slow, and at times completely unrecognisable. I picked it up at a second hand games store, untested, for AU$10 bucks. Its a 21pin saturn, oval buttons. It didn't come with any controllers and only an RF video cable, so I ordered an S-Video cable, 2 controllers and a modchip from Jandaman.

Foolishly I didn't test it before I installed the modchip. Games boot up fine, and as long as you don't knock the console around they play OK. Nights into Dreams is good fun. Sound, however, is horrid. CD Audio is at least somewhat OK, but very scratchy and muffled. Everything else is shit.

I was wondering what I could do, or what is at fault? I'm just a beginner to electronics, I noticed that while wiggling the cable for the modchips power, the tone of the audio changed. Its soldered on, and I've tried both the second and third plugs from the top. I doubt it would be a bad connection, since the point looks quite clean. Could the power supply be at fault?

From installing modchips I know that if the chip isnt in right the sound would be distorted in the CD menu and during bootup. This was especially true for the 64 pin saturns. Very slow and scratchy sound.

However anytime the sound was messed up the Saturn would not boot backups, and most of the time I got some combination of sphere colors in the CD player which of course ment that some part of the installation was not quite right.

Did you use the A+B method to install your chip?

You can try disconnecting the chip from the motherboard and plug the ribbon cable directly into the motherboard, boot the saturn up and see what results you get.

Have you tried using the R/f hookup? See if it has bad sound, could be a fault in the S-video cable.

Originally posted by mal@Sun, 2005-09-04 @ 01:01 AM

Where in Australia are you?

I may be able to help you out.

[post=139155]Quoted post[/post]​

Gold Coast.

Anyway, tried it without the modchip, same deal, so that doesnt seem to be the problem.

I have a 32 pin saturn, I soldered the blue wire to the chip and the red to the power.

RF Hookup makes no difference.

hmm im not sure what it could be then.. I doubt its the fault of the TV.

If you guys figure it out let me know, im curious to see what the solution to this may be.

Back