swap trick with sfIII scenario 2 translated???

I've been using the swap trick on my model 2 saturn and all my backups work. Well, almost all of them work. The only backups that won't boot are the translated sfIII releases. (scenario 2 and premium disc) Is it because my saturn isn't capable of booting these games via swap??? Both images run fine on ssf, but I want the genuine article as nothing runs better than my real saturn. I apologize if I've posted improperly. I looked at all the stickies and rules, but noobs always find ways to screw up. This is of course my first post. Thanks for your time everyone. I'll break down and buy a mod if I have to, I just need to know.

sorry it took me so long to reply, I'm using the double method. Starting with copied disc, switching at saturn screen to legit disc, hitting reset button, switching back to copied disc. Does that really make a diff???? Thanks again in advance.

disc not suitable on cd player screen. I even made sure it was patched with the region patcher. Come to think of it, can you swap on a version 2 with a gameshark cart in? I wanted to use it for save games. Thanks again for the reply.

Just a thought, but could the TOC for my original disc be too small??? I have about 30 backups and haven't encountered this issue with any of them. The only original game I own is Virtuacop, so it's the only one I've ever used. It's always worked without a hitch.

If you see "Disc unsuitable for this system", it means that it doesn't recognize the disc as a Saturn game (as opposed to "Game disc unsuitable for this system", which means a region mismatch). This can happen due to a bad burn, bad swap timing, and a couple other miscellaneous things. As far as I know, if you're using the double swap method it shouldn't matter which disc you're swapping with (that's why the double swap - so that the TOC gets picked up from the CD-R and not the original). However, I have heard some anecdotal evidence suggesting that some games are "picky" about what they're swapped with. I haven't really messed with it for a while, so I don't remember the details.

If I open the disc image in region patcher, it'll confirm the current region for me right? I'm sure the image is good, as it does play when mounted in ssf. The only thing I can think is that the region isn't right, but the game was pre-patched by a reliable source... don't want to mention it incase I'm breaking rules doing so. Should I maybe get a hold of the NTSCJ version and apply the translation and region patches myself? That way I know it's correctly dl'd and patched from the get go. Also, is the swap possible with gameshark cart on ver 2 saturn? Thanks again for all of the help, I really appreciate it.

Update: Dl'd NTSCJ version of sf3scn2 and patched it with sfcentral's translation patch. Opened patched iso in region patcher and discovered that the sfc patch makes the iso multi-region. So, since this didn't work for me last time I decided to repatch the region strictly for USA. I still get the same error. "Disc not suitable for this system." Any suggestions would be awsome. Again, all of my other games run great using swap method.

Ok, another update. I patched the NTSCJ sf3scn2 disc to USA region without the sfcentral patch. Guess what??? It works.... so the saturn does not like the sfcentral patch, and that sucks. I suppose I just need to learn japanese or play the game on an emu. This really does suck.

Did they finish the translation of the second scenario? If so, then I will patch a copy and burn it and see if it boots fine on my mod'd saturn.

yes they did. Well, they claim it's at 99.9%. I've heard very good things about it, and the translation does look sharp from what I've seen via ssf.

It really sounds like the patch is somehow screwing up the disc header. IIRC, there are ways to screw up the header such that it'll work in emulators or with an AR but not with just a stock Saturn. Can someone post the first 4KB of the patched ISO somewhere?

I don't know of a standard tool on Windows that can do it. There's probably some hex editor that will do it, but I don't know of a specific one to suggest. On unixlike systems (including Mac OS X and Cygwin, but I don't suggest installing Cygwin just to do this), the "dd" program is great for this kind of thing. The command would be something like:

Code:
dd if=sf3patched.iso of=ip.bin bs=4096 count=1

Ok, how about something more practical??? Do you know how to change the "header" and correct this? When I open the region patcher, it does say some sort of crap about sega header and 3rd party header. Maybe???

vbt said:
You can find an easy way to extract sectors here :

http://forums.segaxtreme.net/showthread.php?t=22045#5

Akuma did even make a screenshot.
smile.gif

ok, i've got CDmage downloaded. What info do I need to send you guys to get to the bottom of this??? I don't even know what I'm looking for, and vbt's link is broken. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

dutchmunky said:
ok, i've got CDmage downloaded. What info do I need to send you guys to get to the bottom of this??? I don't even know what I'm looking for, and vbt's link is broken. Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Well, I'm not sure which thread vbt was referring to, so I did a quick advanced search for Akuma's username plus the word sector, and picked out the ones with pictures in reference to vbt's description:

http://segaxtreme.net/community/topic/6227-please-helpburning/page__view__findpost__p__60414

http://segaxtreme.net/community/topic/6055-about-ipbin/page__view__findpost__p__58303

http://segaxtreme.net/community/topic/3031-cd-rom-file-system/page__view__findpost__p__27779

I'm guessing it's the middle one in the above, as that's matches post #5, which shouldn't have changed with the new boards, and the original URL vbt posted suggests.

Back