SX Appreciation Thread

EmeraldNova

Pluto Supporter
It's starting to look like the age of internet social media stability is starting to wind down. Facebook is exclusively for boomers and conspiracy nuts, Youtube comments are a cesspool, Instagram and Snapchat are too vapid for real long term communication, Musk is burning Twitter to the ground, TikTok is a Chinese intelligence asset, and despite Reddit jannies folding like patio furniture over losing a crumb of their pathetic power, they are right that the new changes will make the site more ungovernable once the API pricing kicks off all the useful mod tools. I hope Reddit can get flooded with shock images like the good old days of internet trolling.

I started out on the internet around the time when DSL was just starting to become relevant. I was never super big on forums, but I enjoyed seeing some communities pop up. I had a shareware copy of Duke Nukem II and Descent, a paid for copy of Doom I didn't really touch (skill issue.) I was a regular browser of Newgrounds, Albino Black Sheep, Kill Frog, and the other flash game hosts. I got my news from Fark, Gamespy (incidentally, the stories leading up to this Daily Victim post are some of my favorites,) sometimes Digg. My first social media profile was on MySpace. I got my fan fiction from media miner, not fanfiction, and some of those stories I still reread today. I learned HTML making websites on Geocities, and liked to navigate around the Sonic Webrings, spent some time on Sonic HQ enjoying the autoplaying midis. I recall spending Y2K on the internet, which may or may not be some form of irony.

Since I never got into actually posting on forums or IRC, I didn't get to connect to Sega Xtreme until very late, 2019, when I was introduced to the community by Ponut64 and XL2. Going back and seeing how many of these sites I mentioned have fundamentally changed if not shut down or died, it's comforting to see such a strong sense of continuity within the community and its stewards. We have more than two decades of history on this site. Granted, most of us hang out on discord much more these days. Sega Xtreme is more than just a homebrew development resource, it's an actual community. I just wanted to write a rambling appreciation post for dibz, and by association Ice Digger, for keeping the lights on and making sure no matter how much the internet changes, there's at least some place I can call home on the internet. I want this forum and community to outlive me if possible.

Now that I'm basically off Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, and most other social websites aging past their prime, I'm going to make an effort to actually post here more when I want to air my thoughts.

Anyway, SX Mastodon server when?

Now everyone else post their favorite old stuff from the internet before it got Googled/Zuck'd. I wanna see some bad HTML 4.0 stuff.

bruce lee shock GIF

P.S. I fixed/added Giphy support just for this reply lol.

While I agree to an extent, I still actively enjoy and use popular social media sites. Yes, it's a lonely and sometimes miserable place, I still pop off at the mouth and use it like I would any other social site. It's my little virtual soapbox where I have this unrealistic expectation that anybody actually gives a damn what I have to say. Well 8 out of 10, nobody seems to care.

I had a home computer at a young age, we had what I remember is nothing more than a dos prompt and then eventually win 3.11 the rest is history. Actively got windows distributions from 3.11 onward to windows 10. Computer was built with 56k modem so did eventually get the internet via America online.

My most fond memories are with browsing fan sites, particularly video games. I did make a dragon ball fan page, it was pretty bare bones. I later got on angelfire and made a web site I called "the Sega Reform", I remember and enjoyed that web page. I had a good amount of staff on it, and people were actively helping and contributing content. It was such a different breed of person back then, everyone was available and worked for free. It was great meeting and making friends, one of which I still keep up with compliments of facebook.

Not sure when I found Segaxtreme but I remember always being impressed and enjoying the page. Haven't ever been a very active user, but I do browse and find the information helpful.

Thanks for this post, it was a nice walk-through memory lane.

PS
angelfire.com/yt/hakusho = sega reform, it's not updated but it does remain up as long as angelfire will keep hosting it. A far cry from the caliber of this web page, but I am proud of it and like I said the community of friends and people I met because of it was really something special to me. Not to mention I was a young angsty individual, hell who am I kidding I still am lol

While I agree to an extent, I still actively enjoy and use popular social media sites. Yes, it's a lonely and sometimes miserable place, I still pop off at the mouth and use it like I would any other social site. It's my little virtual soapbox where I have this unrealistic expectation that anybody actually gives a damn what I have to say. Well 8 out of 10, nobody seems to care.

I had a home computer at a young age, we had what I remember is nothing more than a dos prompt and then eventually win 3.11 the rest is history. Actively got windows distributions from 3.11 onward to windows 10. Computer was built with 56k modem so did eventually get the internet via America online.

My most fond memories are with browsing fan sites, particularly video games. I did make a dragon ball fan page, it was pretty bare bones. I later got on angelfire and made a web site I called "the Sega Reform", I remember and enjoyed that web page. I had a good amount of staff on it, and people were actively helping and contributing content. It was such a different breed of person back then, everyone was available and worked for free. It was great meeting and making friends, one of which I still keep up with compliments of facebook.

Not sure when I found Segaxtreme but I remember always being impressed and enjoying the page. Haven't ever been a very active user, but I do browse and find the information helpful.

Thanks for this post, it was a nice walk-through memory lane.

PS
angelfire.com/yt/hakusho = sega reform, it's not updated but it does remain up as long as angelfire will keep hosting it. A far cry from the caliber of this web page, but I am proud of it and like I said the community of friends and people I met because of it was really something special to me. Not to mention I was a young angsty individual, hell who am I kidding I still am lol
I'm in favor of common sense Sega Reform.

i may be only a few months older than the NA Saturn, but I sure used a hell of a lot of internet forums before I had any use for social media. My particular prognosis leaves me very interested in anonymity. No, not 4chan; I've looked at it a few times but that was only after Snuffy got banned and /mlp/ was created. Anyway, I spent a lot of time on forums for Savage 1/2, StarSiege/Tribes, and MechWarrior. Given this interest, my predilection for Discord over the forums is a change. I've always been pointed to IRC chats and they were never attractive due to a lack of message history, embeds, categories, basically everything Discord is.
Aside from that, I've never much used reddit, facebook, or myspace. I was young when these things came up, but I never cared for them.

Yes, thank you for sX. A long-term resource for .. things... in some category is good.

Back