Tao of Saturn Programming

Well, i was fooling around with linux a couple of months ago, and I did a couple of "Tao" like texts...

Once a programmer came to a Master, sequious of learning.

"Master", he said, "I have an idea of great avail, that will requilish all other game ever made. I want to code it, could you help me?". He then gave a long and lenghtful insight in how it would be. The Master looked into the programmer and replied "Not even I can code sutch a thing."

The student became confused "But aren't you a master of the Tao?"

The Master concluded "A Game is in his origin, a Game. The Tao of Saturn shows us no way to make Ideas, only Games. If you want to make an Idea, you must find you own Tao." and left the novice.

--

And once the Master said :

"The one that codes briefly, thinks lenghtly, and reads carefully, yes, he has a chance to understand the Tao."

--

And once the Master said :

"Fear not the SH-2 double CPU. The path to Tao does not lie in learning assembly or knowing the Saturn inside out. The path to Tao leads you by your own resources."

--

"The Tao is in every game console" claimed the master.

"Is the Tao in a GameBoy?" one apprenice asked.

"It is," came the reply.

"Is the Tao in a PS2?" continued the apprentice.

"Yes, even in a PS2" said the master.

"And is the Tao in the 32x for Genesis?"

The master coughed and shifted his position slightly. "The lesson is over for today," he said.

--

The master looked at their students and claimed "Forget not the Tao of Programming. Altough the Game demands different treatment, the Tao of Programming and the Tao of Saturn are the same.

However, you will become a master of Saturn and yet, you will not be a Master of the Tao of Programming - So it is the fate of the creators of Games, to become famous before being good coders."

--

An doubtfull student came to the master "Master, how can Burning Rangers be a sample of Tao. It has bad framerate and defrauded expectatives..."

"Ah! More than just the Game, sometimes the Tao calls for the Program. Sonic Team gathered, worked and produced a Program that transcends the own machine. You cannot blame the Program, just the expectatives. It could not have been created any other way"

...Anyone care to add anything else?

A distressed programmer approached the Master. He asked, "Master, why does Saturn have so many processors and so many memories? Is it not true that it is better for an architecture to be simple?"

"Would you create a data structure without reserving memory to store it?", the Master asked.

"Of course not. That would lead to great conflict," the student replied.

"As would creating sprites without a sprite-drawing processor, or creating sounds without a sound processor. Saturn's complexity only mirrors that of the Game. In this there is symmetry, which is greater than simplicity. The Tao does not require simplicity, only reflection."

Cough, Cough!!.........Trying to read posts......Cough, hack!........Can't see worth a ####..Toomuch incense smoke........cough, tthhbbbbt (oops! sorry!) Can't breath..gotta go.....

Well, of coarse they are. I don't doubt it and noone had better. I try to read every post I find of Excyber's and Master Akumamatata's. They know their shit!! I just found the cross corrilation between Toaism and programming a bit strange. I've been a student of Tai chi chuan, Bagua zuan and Hsing I for almost 30 yrs. These disciplines draw heavily and were founded on Toaist principles. Besides, That was just a little harmless teasing and if they took offense I'm sure they will let me know.

Actually, the concept comes from the original "The Tao of Programming", that come standart with most Linux distributions in fortune cookie format:

http://www.terrible.cx/tao/

Code:
Something mysterious is formed, born in the silent void. Waiting alone and

unmoving, it is at once still and yet in constant motion. It is the source

of all programs. I do not know its name, so I will call it the Tao of

Programming.

If the Tao is great, then the operating system is great.

If the operating system is great, then the compiler is great.

If the compiler is great, then the application is great.

The user is pleased, and there is harmony in the world.

The Tao of Programming flows far away and returns on the wind of morning.

Alas, the Tao of Saturn Programming drains from the source of all programs, to produce the game. It seeks not enlightment of programming, but understanding ^^;

enlightenment is not an object to be found, but a condition of the mind that results *from* the seach and not the end thereof. True understanding is ellusive. It can come about in a brilliant flash, but all too often it is nibbled away at like a mouse nibbles on it's dinner, grasshopper.

Back