The Best Dreamcast Peripherals!

Dud

Established Member
Controllers

see controller adapters section below

Mad Catz Dream Pad -- A better version of the official controller

Official Sega Dreamcast Controller

ASCII Pad FT Special -- It comes in three forms: standard grey, the Black Capcom version, and the Blue SNK version. They are similar to a Saturn Controller

Arcade Sticks

Agetec Arcade Stick (Official Sega Product) -- THE BEST, It's the grey one with green buttons

Interact Alloy Arcade Stick -- review

Mad Catz Panther DC Arcade Stick -- review 1 review 2

X-Arcade -- Get this if you don't like buying arcade sticks for every one of your consoles info

Lightguns

Mad Catz DreamBlaster

Official Dreamcast Lightgun -- Only available in Europe and Japan, the only North American game they work with is Virtua Cop 2 (Sega Smash Pack Vol. 1)

Racing Wheels

Thrustmaster Ferrari Racing Wheel

InterAct Concept 4 Racing Wheel

Memory Cards

Nexus 4M Memory Card -- Hook it up to your PC and archive your saves

Sega 4x Memory Card (800 Blocks)

Sega VMU (200 Blocks) -- If you don't like having to change memory banks

Game-Specific Peripherals

Samba de Amigo Maracas -- A must for playing Samba de Amigo

Official Sega Dreamcast Twin Sticks -- Used for playing Virtual On Oratorio Tangram

Official Sega Saturn Twin Sticks with a Total Control 3 (or 5 Plus 3in1) adapter -- May be cheaper and/or easier to find than the above

Official Dreamcast Fishing Controller

Konami Pop'N Music Controller -- Essential for Popper games

Etcetera

Official Sega Keyboard -- For The Typing of the Dead and online communication

Official Sega Mouse -- It has limited uses

Broadband Adapter (BBA)

System Link Cable -- discussion

Performance VGA Box -- "The only Dreamcast VGA box with a passthrough port to switch between PC and DC easily" review

Karaoke Attachment -- A Japanese add-on for singing karaoke info

Dream Eye -- A digital camera for Dreamcast! info

Controller Adapters

There are a ton of adapters. This list is here in its entirity to show what each model does. Based on my personal experience, I'd recommend that you stick with EMS' adapters.

EMS Total Control

Playstation Controllers, supports DualShock, PSX Steering Wheels can be used with a flip of a switch

EMS Total Control Plus

Same as Total Control but it has a VMU slot

EMS Total Control 2

Same as Total Control but it also supports PC keyboards; 4 different modes selectable via a switch

EMS Total Control 3

Saturn Controllers, Racing Wheels and Twin Sticks + a VMU slot

EMS Total Control 5

PC Keyboards and Mouses

EMS Total Control 5 Plus RECOMMENDED :thumbs-up:

Playstation (supports DualShock) & Saturn Controllers, supports Racing Wheels and Twin Sticks + a VMU slot

Skillz Dream Connection 2in1

PC Keyboards and Mouses; supposedly more reliable that Total Control 5

Skillz Dream Connection 3in1

Playstation (supports DualShock) & Saturn Controllers, supports Racing Wheels and PC Keyboards

Skillz Dream Connection 4in1

Playstation (supports DualShock) & Saturn Controllers, supports Racing Wheels and PC Keyboards + a VMU slot

Innovation Dream Connection II 4-way Multiconverter

Playstation & Saturn Controllers, PC Keyboards + a VMU slot

The Agetec (official) Arcade Stick -- joystick heaven

as for regular controllers -- stick with first party

The ASCII pad is super-nice as well. I'd also add the VGA box to the list of 'must-haves'. The Interact Concept 4 wheel is awesome as well.

Originally posted by it290@Apr 4, 2004 @ 08:34 PM

The ASCII pad is super-nice as well. I'd also add the VGA box to the list of 'must-haves'. The Interact Concept 4 wheel is awesome as well.

What VGA Box brand do you recommend? There are a few different kinds.

in the 'ect.' category: Sega Samba de Amigo Maracas!

I have 2 sets :lol:

I prefer VMUs over 4x memory cards, but that might just be me.

---Ammut

What VGA Box brand do you recommend? There are a few different kinds.

They're all good, personally I have the Naki one so that's the only one I know about, but the best is probably the one that has the pass-through on it... I think it may be Interact, but I'm not sure.

edit - oh yeah, let's not forget the Twin Sticks and the link cable either. The BBA should also be on the list as one of the most prized peripherals.

Originally posted by Berty@Apr 9, 2004 @ 07:50 AM

Lets not forget using the dance mat to play virtual athlete!

Any particular brand that stands out?

The list is getting to be pretty long now. Eventually I'm going to link to some reviews, since there are a number of different controller and arcade stick options. Also does anyone know if a Sega Saturn Twin Sticks plugged into a Total Control 5 Plus will work on a Dreamcast? I heard that the Saturn Twin Sticks are better than the Dreamcast ones.

Yes, I believe they will. Definitely a cheaper route, however I think there is some move in VOOT which is hard to perform using the Saturn sticks.

Also, the X-arcade is a nice joystick, not DC specific though.

The Pop'n Music controller is pretty essential for the Popper games.

They go for big bucks on eBay too.

Official Jap Lightguns are nice...

Cmon all, What about the ever so excellent Karaoke ad on?? Thats just gotta be the best. I love singing songs in Broken english, Its super happy fun enjoy times is it not why dont you?

Originally posted by Buffi@Apr 17, 2004 @ 03:45 AM

Uhm... how could you forget the sega keyboard?

Typing of the dead anyone? ;)

You're right, we must all be on crack. :p

Back