The Best Sega CD Games

racketboy

Established Member
Here's listing of most recommended Sega CD games.

They were compiled by SX members and some of the least popular ones were voted off as well.

I did my best to rank them.

Thanks to all those who helped put this together.

Lunar: Eternal Blue

Lunar: The Silver Star

Snatcher

Sonic CD

Keio Flying Squadron

Shining Force CD

Popful Mail

Final Fight CD

Silpheed

Batman Returns

Earthworm Jim SE

Ecco The Dolphin

Vay

Mickey Mania

Eternal Champions

Night Trap

Flashback

Rise of the Dragon

The Terminator

Dune

Jurassic Park

mm i think there is to many genesis ports there
sad.gif
would probably be better to get unique sega cd titles
wink.gif

Originally posted by whitesnake@Jul 16, 2003 @ 05:35 PM

mm i think there is to many genesis ports there
sad.gif
would probably be better to get unique sega cd titles
wink.gif

I only see 3 (maybe 4) that aren't a big improvement over the Genesis counterparts.

I owned Formula One: Beyond the Limit for quite a while -- it was interesting back in the day, but it got old quick.

pretty decent for the time, but I don't think it's good enough to crack the list

does NHL 94 have anything to offer over the Genny version?

ETERNAL CHAMPIONS: CHALLENGE FROM THE DARKSIDE ISN'T ON THERE?! !?!?!?! That's the best game on the Mega CD! Why isn't it on there!?

Originally posted by Cloud121@Jul 16, 2003 @ 10:11 PM

ETERNAL CHAMPIONS: CHALLENGE FROM THE DARKSIDE ISN'T ON THERE?! !?!?!?! That's the best game on the Mega CD! Why isn't it on there!?

I thought we decided to have it on only the Genesis list?

Originally posted by Mr. Saturn@Jul 16, 2003 @ 10:11 PM

Ok, good arguments, but Thunderhawk was absolutely phantastic for its time and today!

Haven't tried it -- maybe I'll have to look for a copy someday

Originally posted by Supergrom@Jul 16, 2003 @ 08:40 PM

the sega cd version of eternal champions is practically a sequel though. Its got TONS of advantages over the genesis version. I'm with cloud, it should be on the list.

Absolutely. Eternal Champions for was the whole reason I got a Sega CD, including a Genesis to hook it up to. It's my top pick for the system. Beyond just being a superb fighter, it had probably the most impressive video and general use of the Sega CD hardware of any game for the system.

Hmm...That's a good point. I think that's going to be a reoccuring problem with these "best games of (random system)" threads. That's true that there are a lot of "ports" between systems, and the SegaCD or 32x will probably get the nomination for a "port" that was on genesis because of the superior graphics/sound it had compared to the genny cart version.

What about Dune? Am I the only one that thought that was good on the SegaCD.

Dune and Eternal Champions have been added.

That makes it an even 20 games.

If any more are added, some other one has to get kicked off.

I don't know anything about Thunderhawk, so I won't add it unless more people convince me.

Originally posted by ratfish@Jul 18, 2003 @ 03:32 AM

Hmm...That's a good point. I think that's going to be a reoccuring problem with these "best games of (random system)" threads. That's true that there are a lot of "ports" between systems, and the SegaCD or 32x will probably get the nomination for a "port" that was on genesis because of the superior graphics/sound it had compared to the genny cart version.

What about Dune? Am I the only one that thought that was good on the SegaCD.

Keep in mind -- even though SCD titles have better sound etc, they also have worse load times. That can make a difference too!

In my honest opinion, if you own a Sega CD you should own ALL the great RPGs it has! And this last lacks one in particular that I loved. Unless it got voted off before (and I don't know why), why isn't Dark Wizard on the list??? No need to add it if you like the nice round number of 20... but this was a very good game on the SegaCD. There are others, but due to them either being only Jap or just not as good as the ones on the list, but then you do have Jurassic Park on there (i.e. Ecco2 which has just enough more to offer then the genny one, those videos just rock, and the soundtrack sounds so much better.and every version of Shadowrun just rocked, even the SegaCD one!) But eh, this is my opinion only.

Back