The nomad

Myname

Established Member
OK, so I'm thinking about getting myself a Nomad but I know next to nothing besides you use Megadrive games in them. It's a pretty long time since I had a Megadrive so I have a few questions.. I'm in the UK and it seems as though the Nomad was a US and Japanese thing so wil I be able to play UK carts in it? I remember all you had to do on the PAL Megadrive to play imports was burn the sides off so the bigger cartridges would go in.. so using that logic the PAL games would fit in an NTSC-sized hole (um.. excuse the term) OK right? Also is there any kind of rechargable device for it like the Game Gear one instead of eating up all those batteries?

Uh.. That's it I think. Cheers for your help

Most Genesis carts were interchangable I'm sure (no territory lockout).. Apart from the later ones. I could be wrong..

US and PAL carts have the same shape.

unprotected carts will work without any adapters or anything. protected ones can be worked around by installing a 50/60 Hz switch.

You can use the rechargeable pack for the Game Gear on the Nomad.

Another little detail - there's no reset button. Essentially, you can't finish X-Men 1 (one of my favorite games, you see...)

Hehe, I remember that part in x-men. I never actually thought it meant to literally push the reset buttton on the genesis, I always died when the timer went down. It took me a few trips to mojos crunch to actually get the courage to try the reset button.

You can modify the nomad very easilly... you just need to weird-*ss gamebit screwdriver for the center bottom screw... Ive done the single-switch mod for us/uk/jap games... you just have to make sure if youre trying to run in UK mode, that you have the genesis2 model av cable... I dunno which pins are the right ones for the PAL signal, but the REGULAR ntsc pin is the same as the black level half of the pal signal.

Originally posted by Link Hylia@May 07 2002,23:41

is there a way to use an AC adaptor for it?

2 hours playing time would fly by

like the battery pack, the gamegear AC adapter works with the nomad. I never use batteries, and my battery pack hasn't worked since day one, so the AC was a must.

I think you can also use the Mega key to play improts on a Nomad and I think it works for all of the protected carts as well.

Back