The PSP/DS Thread

If it's a rechargable battery ala GB SP, then 8 hours isnt that bad.

The SP has a 10 hour battery life.

8 hours from a disc based device is kinda surprising.

That's pretty shitty, but not nearly as bad as I would have thought.

Every time I look at that machine I can feel arthritis starting to develop in my hands. :biglaugh

I think that 8 hours is more than most of us need, i'd be using the power supply to save battery, that what i do with my nomad, and my gba sp.

RolfWrenWalsh: If it's a rechargable battery ala GB SP, then 8 hours isnt that bad.

Not quite fair to compare two different kinds of portables, both have different kinds of power consumptions.

Look at the pricetag and features; PSP isn't competing with GBA/DS as much as it's competing with the entertainment half of PocketPC. As for battery life, well, it looks like anything that uses the drive much is going to kill it quick, the drive seems to use several times more power than the rest of the system combined. Developers will probably be heavily encouraged to limit disc activity. Personally, unless a homebrew scene gets going on this I'd rather have a GP32

Sony has pulled off some amazing battery saving shit in the past. My MiniDisc player can go for a good 40 hours on ONE AA battery. Granted that's only playing music but it's still pretty good considering it's a disc medium.

I have to say it's not really an issue unless you're going to be watching movies on the PSP. I mean at least it's no NOMAD, haha.

I'm not on the road enough to get a portable system anyways. So I'd rather save money and not get either DS or PSP.

I have to agree. The music battery time is very good. And as for games, up to 8 hrs isn't terrible. It's just not great. And as for movies, I wouldn't expect much more than that. Both my laptops, on a full charge, have about 2-3 hours of movie time.

Compare the battery capacity to Nintendo's unit and I think you'll find the PSP is eating a lot more power regardless. Meaning the battery figures include the fact that they're using the best batteries they can reasonably use at this time. Let's hope the batteries can be recharged a bazillion times before they start to really lose capacity, because I can't think an OE or better replacement would be cheap.

Originally posted by it290+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290)</div><div class='quotemain'>8 hours isn't too bad, although I'm sure that will vary considerably depending on what the game does (example: A Space Channel 5-type game has to read from the disc a lot more than say, Ikaruga does). If they would just rotate the screen 90 degrees, I'd probably buy one.[/b]
Yeah, but you're an arcade freak. :D Most people like 16:9 widescreen, and all the COOL kids have it. Plus they're trying to push their retarded proprietary UMD crap for movies. Everyone movie dork knows 16:9 == win. Even though you could just physically rotate the device for movies as they don't require you to push buttons. :(

Oh, and yeah any game with lots of movies or that otherwise loads a lot from the disc will eat battery life like candy. Sweet, sweet candy.

<!--QuoteBegin-ExCyber

Personally, unless a homebrew scene gets going on this I'd rather have a GP32[/quote]I'd rather have a GP32 2. Seriously, Sony will probably do everything in its power to make non-Sony-approved activities difficult. But GP32 is 1) Somewhat dated and 2) Somewhat overpriced.

I was talking to Locke a few weeks ago, and he said it got delayed a year, since $ony only managed the battery life to be one hour...

Pathetic...

They did all they could to reduce power consumption. But the unit is so much more powerful than the DS, and uses optical media. Sometimes you can only do so much with today's tech.

Japan: PSP Pricing/Date Confirmed

By Daniel Kayser -- News Writer

Published 10:02 AM CDT, October 27, 2004

Sony announces the PSP will be available sooner and cheaper than most thought.

While the gaming industry has been overrun with speculation regarding Sony's upcoming handheld device, today SCEI silenced rumors by announcing the official release and pricing information for the PSP. Available in Japan on December 12th, 2004, Sony's PlayStation Portable will debut for the retail price of 19,800 yen which equates to about $185 US. Also available to Japanese consumers will be a bundle including both a Memory Stick Duo (2,800 yen) and Headphone with remote control (2,940 yen). This bundle will be available for 26,040 yen or about $243 US. The system will launch with 21 titles and loads of accessories, some of which will prove to be necessities to anyone hoping to truly take advantage of the system's portable gaming power. The lineup includes an AC Adapter (3,500 yen), Battery Pack (4,800 yen), Headphone with remote control (2,800 yen), Soft case and hand strap (2,000 yen) and Memory Stick Duo (2,800 yen).

The announcement comes as a surprise to many who have speculated the handheld device would launch with an MSRP upwards of $350. Also interesting is the timing of the launch which will see Sony's PSP hitting Japanese store shelves only ten days after Nintendo's latest handheld, the Nintendo DS, arrives in the region. Sony's PSP is expected to hit North American shores sometime in 2005.

» Daniel Kayser

Source

I must be trapped in an alternate dimension... :blink:

Nice bit of info... i was hoping it would be cheap like this. I may just get one! unless its more expensive in this WEIRD dimension. Its crazy in here :looney

Sony has officially announced PlayStation Portable launch information. The PSP will launch in Japan on December 12, for 19,800 yen (US$185). The PSP package includes the PSP system, AC Adapter and Battery Pack. The battery life has also been confirmed, the PSP uses rechargeable Li-Ion battery which can be used for 4-6 hours for playing games, and 4-5 hours for watching videos. 21 titles will be released throughout December 2004.

So it's even less than we expected, and this is SONY saying this.

Sony has officially announced PlayStation Portable launch information. The PSP will launch in Japan on December 12, for 19,800 yen (US$185). The PSP package includes the PSP system, AC Adapter and Battery Pack. The battery life has also been confirmed, the PSP uses rechargeable Li-Ion battery which can be used for 4-6 hours for playing games, and 4-5 hours for watching videos. 21 titles will be released throughout December 2004.

Even less battery time then stated before.

Back