the Saturn is a *great* console, but I still got a

Q1 : I have a PAL Saturn, and I found that I have "16/9-ish" vertical black bars when playing japanese games, and I also need to lower the video sharpness of my Sony tv, otherwise there is a hell lot of waving interferences from bottom right to top left.

Is that because my Saturn runs at 50 Hz and my games are japanese ?

Could I modify my Saturn to run at 60 Hz only ?

Q2 : I bought a grey cartridge that was supposed to be an Action Replay, but there's a sticker that only says "8 MEG" on it. It also says "new 8 meg ram card v2.1 for Saturn © 1997" when booting the console, BUT it always gives a black screen when getting into the system preferences when the cartridge is fit. And SNK games still say they require the 1 MB cartridge.

I got scammed, right? :{

I opened it, it's got 2 "flashram SST-like" chips, and one controller. Any clue please ?

Q3 : was there a "Capcom generation" volume with "Ghosts'n Goblins" and/or "Ghouls'n Ghosts" ?

And has there ever been a port of "Sidewinder" from Arcadia Systems ?

Last thing, for Saturn newbies like me, I would advise a great shooter : "Soukyu Gurentai"(aka Terra Diver?). I like it more than Radiant Silvergun(that is way too overhyped in my opinion). "Ikaruga" is still "numero uno" in my book.

Thank you for your help in any of those questions gentlemen, and long live Sega-Extreme!

Originally posted by leeperry@Feb 24, 2003 @ 10:44 AM

Q1 : I have a PAL Saturn, and I found that I have "16/9-ish" vertical black bars when playing japanese games(...)

Is that because my Saturn runs at 50 Hz and my games are japanese ?

Could I modify my Saturn to run at 60 Hz only ?

Yes and yes. See this page for instructions, but beware that if you have a different model motherboard they may not work as-is.

Q3 : was there a "Capcom generation" volume with "Ghosts'n Goblins" and/or "Ghouls'n Ghosts" ?

Yes, volume 2.

The cart you have sounds like it's a save memory cart. It may be broken, or you may have run into the infamous "Saturn's cart slot isn't so grand" problem. Try inserting it all the way, and then pulling it up just a tiny bit and see if that gets it going.

Originally posted by leeperry@Feb 24, 2003 @ 04:44 PM

Last thing, for Saturn newbies like me, I would advise a great shooter : "Soukyu Gurentai"(aka Terra Diver?). I like it more than Radiant Silvergun(that is way too overhyped in my opinion). "

I prefer Souky too, but I'm sure there'll be a few willing to argue for RS here
smile.gif
. What's your highscore on Soukyugurentai, out of curiosity?

wow, great advices, i'll try that
smile.gif

I'm getting desperate to find that Capcom Generations 2 now
smile.gif

anyone has it for sale, or could please PM me ?

I checked the FTP section, no luck :[

I was busy trying shooters this week-end, I'll try to get a high score now
smile.gif

Your cart is a memory card, it has nothing to do with games needing extra 1MB or 4MB RAM cartriges like most SNK's.

Check if the Cart is from a company named Interact, in which case I would recommand you not to put it *ever again* in your Segasaturn as those carts 1/ are not reliable 2/upset the Saturn's bios.

Back