Dracula-X / Symphony of the Night

Translating Dracula X / SOTN Beta V1.02 1.021

I too have encountered the crash facing and defeating Beelzebub. Freezes just as the flames finish and the HP Max Up starts to appear.
Patch 1.00 Classic Boy Gold for Android.
Also have two items that have the wrong name and description. As in they need to be swapped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210121-205338.png
    Screenshot_20210121-205338.png
    402.5 KB · Views: 198
  • Screenshot_20210121-205332.png
    Screenshot_20210121-205332.png
    416.9 KB · Views: 183
Because the prologue takes place during Dracula X so it makes sense to use the Dracula X portrait with the Dracula X Richter sprite and the SOTN portrait for the SOTN sprite since it is 5 years later and he has aged.

Okay, so has this turned from translation project to one of those Working Design tier romhacks where the game gets changed around because the translators think it looks better that way? Consider my interest dropped then.

Okay, so has this turned from translation project to one of those Working Design tier romhacks where the game gets changed around because the translators think it looks better that way? Consider my interest dropped then.
Um..... bye then?

You are more than welcome to use one of the many many other translations that have spawned over 25 years to play this game on the Saturn. I promise you, I will not be hurt by it.

Knight0fDragon His work is perfect, especially placing the image of Dracula X's Richer in the prologue to be more faithful to the story. Something Konami hadn't done. Don't worry about those comments from Nutella people who don't like having a new version with improvements over the original game. Just ignore that people like this are not even talking here in the forum, this is just a dead weight of such hypocrisy. We are all rooting for you and loving your project and of course looking forward to it when it’s finally finished for launch. Success my friend and thank you on behalf of everyone for providing us with a better version of Castlevania SOTN for Sega Saturn. This video game really deserved it. Congratulations and thanks.​

Knight0fDragon His work is perfect, especially placing the image of Dracula X's Richer in the prologue to be more faithful to the story. Something Konami hadn't done. Don't worry about those comments from Nutella people who don't like having a new version with improvements over the original game. Just ignore that people like this are not even talking here in the forum, this is just a dead weight of such hypocrisy. We are all rooting for you and loving your project and of course looking forward to it when it’s finally finished for launch. Success my friend and thank you on behalf of everyone for providing us with a better version of Castlevania SOTN for Sega Saturn. This video game really deserved it. Congratulations and thanks.​

Both of you are being silly.

1) Changing Richters portrait makes this no where near the level of a Working Designs localization.
2) Not liking the change is a legitimate criticism/complaint that can easily be addressed by either offering a version that doesn't have that change or someone else making an addendum patch to remove it.

Thank you. No need to insult them though. I am fully aware that not everybody is going to appreciate the executive decisions I will be placing into the game. The one thing I am very responsive to is constructive criticism. If anybody has suggestions, or does not like something, make an argument as to why it should be changed, and I will change it if I agree with the argument, or at the very least, the community agrees strongly enough that my biased opinion is insignificant.

Thank you. No need to insult them though. I am fully aware that not everybody is going to appreciate the executive decisions I will be placing into the game. The one thing I am very responsive to is constructive criticism. If anybody has suggestions, or does not like something, make an argument as to why it should be changed, and I will change it if I agree with the argument, or at the very least, the community agrees strongly enough that my biased opinion is insignificant.
I'll keep this simple. You're doing a great job. This translation has breathed new life into my Saturn, which I had not played in years. Thank you and keep up the good work.

He is not working for you, go back to the ps1 version.
Or do your own translation hacking.

Okay here's my constructive criticism for the portrait choice. Obviously, at the end of the day, it's your choice and that's totally fine. And I also recognize why you made the choice, and it's a valid reason. I come at it from the perspective of consistency in the artwork, however. If you look at all the other portraits in the game, they have an extremely similar style, expression, their faces have a similar angle to them. They are incredibly consistent in their design. So, in my opinion, the Rondo of Blood portrait there clashes quite a bit with what is otherwise a pretty carefully crafted set of portraits. Sure there's a slight discrepancy with Richter's Rondo design, but that could be the case for all sorts of reasons.

Again, I get why you did it. Just trying to throw out a different perspective here than just "why you change it". To me, the new portrait sticks out like a sore thumb. I think if you line up all the portraits, and put Richter's Rondo portrait next to them, you see what I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Okay here's my constructive criticism for the portrait choice. Obviously, at the end of the day, it's your choice and that's totally fine. And I also recognize why you made the choice, and it's a valid reason. I come at it from the perspective of consistency in the artwork, however. If you look at all the other portraits in the game, they have an extremely similar style, expression, their faces have a similar angle to them. They are incredibly consistent in their design. So, in my opinion, the Rondo of Blood portrait there clashes quite a bit with what is otherwise a pretty carefully crafted set of portraits. Sure there's a slight discrepancy with Richter's Rondo design, but that could be the case for all sorts of reasons.

Again, I get why you did it. Just trying to throw out a different perspective here than just "why you change it". To me, the new portrait sticks out like a sore thumb. I think if you line up all the portraits, and put Richter's Rondo portrait next to them, you see what I'm talking about.
Follow the entire thread here (Go to page 4 if you can't be bothered), and you will see it is a work in progress.

That's great, I understand that. In the meantime, however, I'm quite happy playing this as it is with a finished translation. And thanks so much for your work. I think it would be nice if we could just get a build that doesn't have unfinished material in it, seeing as the translation is done and ready to go, while this portrait is not, as it seems you're saying.

The translation is not done and ready to go, the game just has the Japanese parts translated, there is a huge difference on these parts.

It is why v1.00 is a special build for the contest and not updated here on this forum.

Okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. Generally "beta" means the project is basically feature complete, but needs more testing. It appeared to me like the project was close to finished besides some extra things you wanted to include, as you said it seemed all the text was translated.

Carry on and thank you again for this project.

"beta" normally means it needs outside testing. "alpha" is internal testing. A release candidate is what you are referring to, and I won't hit that until I get the text background transparent. Versioning is of course independent on developer, and the way I do versioning is the higher number introduces major changes while the lower number introduces minor changes. Version 0 was mostly just text translation, Version 1 involves quality of life changes. My lower number is the % of goals completed.

Last edited:

What a bratty, ungrateful comment haha.

Knight0fDragon owes all of us exactly fuck all.

Play it or dont. Surely that should be pretty obvious?

Carry doing what you're doing K0D

Back