Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Might as well request the free ribbon cable. A great test for the original ribbon cable is the MPEG version of Lunar, if its not up to snuff it either won't load or skip like a scratched disc. I had no issues with Disc 2 of Grandia, even without the loader update.

YAY! This just keeps getting better! Ordered my Fenrir yesterday and now I find out that both discs of the translation are playable...SWEET :-D

All installed and ready to go :cool:
Img_4773-small.jpg

New Patch releases:

Version 0.8.5:
  • Fixed Text Alignment for "Your Initiative" and "Ambushed" in battles.
  • Fixed Text Alignment in Save/Load screen.
  • Fixed Text Alignment in Options Screen.
  • Updated text in Battle Results Screen.
  • Guidos Name is fixed in the Battle Results Screen.
  • Credits are translated
  • "The End" screen is now translated.
So what remains now is the following:
  • Remove Censorship from the script.
  • FMV Subtitles.

Attachments

• SS_Grandia_EN_Disc_1_v0.8.5.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 673
  • SS_Grandia_EN_Disc2_v0.8.5.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 491
Your job is really amazing. You did so much in a short time spam. I should do another 80hs playthrough in july/august because why not.

That's incredible, Trekkies. Excellent work! Two big jobs left, but this feels like a milestone release. You've come such a long way!

YAY! This just keeps getting better! Ordered my Fenrir yesterday and now I find out that both discs of the translation are playable...SWEET :-D
How did you manage to make it work? Mine gets stuck on the loading screen... :confused:
did you convert the iso+wav files into something else?
I tried converting it, checked the crc, redid the patch from a clean image, nothing works :afraid:
The clean image ripped from my original boots without any issue, it's just the patched one that doesn't sadly.

How did you manage to make it work? Mine gets stuck on the loading screen... :confused:
did you convert the iso+wav files into something else?
I tried converting it, checked the crc, redid the patch from a clean image, nothing works :afraid:
The clean image ripped from my original boots without any issue, it's just the patched one that doesn't sadly.

How are you trying to play it?

How are you trying to play it?
I basically used your patch for the disc 1, checked the crc checksum (it matches), converted the cue/iso/wav files to cue/bin with CD Mage, then copied the files on folder on the sd card as usual. I tried converting it with anyburn as well, no luck, still gets stuck at loading screen.
The original non patched image boots and plays perfectly tho.
Since the checksum is correct, is there anything I am missing when doing the conversion? :confused:

Edit:
I found the issue, it appears that on my Japanese model 1 game that don't have the Japanese or Asian region flag don't boot at all.

Edit 2:
My bad, it appears that the issue wasn't with region flag but with games that are not in "raw mode 2352". When the game is converted to iso it seems to be detected as mode 2048, and need to be force converted back to 2352 when converted to bin/cue :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks. I always wanted to give Grandia a go on my Saturn but the language barrier prevented it. I have it burned on SONY CDRs , had to write at 10x cause thats the slowest speed any drives I had left would do. I go through the intro and finding the pot and lid in town then I saved. Im going to buy the retail release so I can play with a clear conscience :) I'll worry about burning Disc 2 when I get that far.

Amazing work.

EDIT: Found one cheap! Import Sega Saturn - Grandia - Japan Japanese US SELLER | eBay

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I'm new here, and I just registered to send a huge thanks to @TrekkiesUnite118 for investing time in translating this game, I wish I had the knowledge to do it, but all I can say is thank you for your efforts and passion. I've been wanting to play this game for a long time, but as some stated before in here, the language barrier was way too harsh.

I got a Saturn recently with Pseudo, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the latest patch (0.8.5) on real hardware and knows whether it is safe to play or not, since I would not like to begin with this game to eventually find out that I cannot go on at a certain point, and I'd like to use the system instead of an emulator (since they always gave me problems and that's the reason why I ended up buying a Saturn).

Also, I wanted to know if there are any plans on releasing an English patch for Castlevania SOTN, since my PS1 is not chipped and the action replay I used for years does not seem to work properly now (I believe the problem comes from the lens, although even the most scratched original games I own are perfectly read by the console, so that's where my confusion emerges). I never tried this game and I'd like to learn about the story and all that stuff.

Thank you all in advance, and sorry if there were any language mistakes, English is not my first language.

I got a Saturn recently with Pseudo, and I was wondering if anyone has tried the latest patch (0.8.5) on real hardware and knows whether it is safe to play or not, since I would not like to begin with this game to eventually find out that I cannot go on at a certain point, and I'd like to use the system instead of an emulator (since they always gave me problems and that's the reason why I ended up buying a Saturn).

There haven't been any bugs reported to my knowledge. It should work fine on real hardware.

Also, I wanted to know if there are any plans on releasing an English patch for Castlevania SOTN, since my PS1 is not chipped and the action replay I used for years does not seem to work properly now (I believe the problem comes from the lens, although even the most scratched original games I own are perfectly read by the console, so that's where my confusion emerges). I never tried this game and I'd like to learn about the story and all that stuff.

Symphony of the Night last I heard was a giant mess to translate. People have tried multiple times but I'm not sure how far they've gotten. There was a Portuguese translation done recently, but from what I can tell they just hacked the font sheet to just draw their script instead of actually translating the script data. Which that's not really a good way to go about doing a proper translation.

I've finished it recently on console using a burned disc and it's fine (my console is modchipped). There is no known bugs. Just use a good quality disc and burn it at lower speeds.

I got my import from eBay. Is there any want or need for the 2 manuals to be scanned for translation?

Not sure if this is an issue with this translation or with the original English script, but it seems the New Parm shop lines should be swapped around.

Here's the first line.
grandia_shop_1.PNG

And here's the line line you get when you stop selling stuff to the shopkeeper.
grandia_shop_2.PNG

Those lines are correct. That's the order they're presented in in the PS1 version and if you look at the original Japanese lines you'll find they're pretty much spot on.

If and/or when this project reaches a point where you start fixing screw-ups found in the original PS1 version's script, one particularly bad stretch of the game in terms of translation is from the late parts of Dight and through the entire Gumbo section. I guess the localization team ran out of time for editing, cause man is some of the writing here rough and literal.

00000052.png

I don't see anything really wrong with that line. The grammar is fine and the translation is accurate to the original Japanese as far as I can tell.

9jUWKph.png

I mean maybe you could make that last bit "Did you think I was serious?" but really that's just nitpicking. As long as it's not a typo, broken English, bad grammer, or censorship I'm not about to go out of my way to change it.

Back