Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

The problem with that is this:
  • Lower all the lowercased characters to match the uppercase characters results in characters like g, j, p, etc. getting cut off. If I don't modify those then they jump up and look odd.
  • Raise all the uppercased characters to match the lowercase character results in them being right on the top of the text boxes which looks worse.
I've reached out to the people who did the unworked designs patches for Lunar 1 and 2 on Sega CD as those games use the same font to see what they did to fix this but they haven't gotten back to me.

The problem with that is this:
  • Lower all the lowercased characters to match the uppercase characters results in characters like g, j, p, etc. getting cut off. If I don't modify those then they jump up and look odd.
  • Raise all the uppercased characters to match the lowercase character results in them being right on the top of the text boxes which looks worse.
I've reached out to the people who did the unworked designs patches for Lunar 1 and 2 on Sega CD as those games use the same font to see what they did to fix this but they haven't gotten back to me.
Could you just rip their modified font out of the unworked designs release? I thought i read thats all they did but i could be mistaken.

Could you just rip their modified font out of the unworked designs release? I thought i read thats all they did but i could be mistaken.

I did explore that route in Eternal Blue but I couldn't really find it so I'm guessing it's compressed somewhere. I haven't checked Silver Star yet.

I was able to find the font in unworked designs patch for Lunar The Silver Star on Sega CD and put it into Grandia. How does this look?:

FlOOwZd.png

Looks great to me - honestly, I had never noticed the font issues until paul_met pointed them out. But the new one definitely looks better.

Do you mean the "I Rekon"? While the correct spelling is Reckon I'm not sure if that's actually a mistake. They could be trying to make that character come off as southern or something as I think that might be one of those common misspellings.

I'll see if I can find it and if it's not a pattern with how that character talks.

He does have a weird southern accent going on, but I've never seen "reckon" intentionally misspelled for the sake of one. The game also misuses "y'all" as a singular "you" a lot in Lainian dialogue, but I reckon (heh) it would a massive pain to hunt down every instance of that, despite it being bad grammar even for the sake of vernacular.

He does have a weird southern accent going on, but I've never seen "reckon" intentionally misspelled for the sake of one.
I have before by quite a few people. So again I need to see if it's a common thing.

The game also misuses "y'all" as a singular "you" a lot in Lainian dialogue, but I reckon (heh) it would a massive pain to hunt down every instance of that, despite it being bad grammar even for the sake of vernacular.
That again sounds like it's intentional. And if you're talking to them with the whole party there, technically it's not singular.

Right, but there are cases where a Lainian is talking to a single person and they still use "y'all". Here's an example from the same conversation as the previous screenshot. Darlin is specifically addressing Justin, yet he still uses "y'all". 00000096.png

Right, but there are cases where a Lainian is talking to a single person and they still use "y'all". Here's an example from the same conversation as the previous screenshot. Darlin is specifically addressing Justin, yet he still uses "y'all".View attachment 5259
Because he's saying "Justin, do you and your party have some questions for me?" But since he's to sound somewhat country/southern/redneck/etc. and saying it that way sounds way too formal and sterile, they went with "ain't y'all got some questions?"

I think when it comes to southern/redneck slang, nitpicking the details of perfect English grammar doesn't make a lot of sense. In fact, the lack of proper grammar is exactly the point.

I registered just to say THANKS for taking on this project. I just got my Terraonion MODE installed and am looking forward to giving this game a long overdue try.

While the game is playable, the audio is scratchy and glitchy to the point it could make my ears bleed. Playing a rip from my Japanese copy and the audio is fine so I'm obviously doing something wrong during the patching process but I'm following the instruction in the readme to the letter.

Any idea how to fix this issue because it is puzzling the hell out of me.

Edit: Seems to be a result of the emulator I was using. Yaba Sanshiro would play the game fine but the audio as I said before was hideous. Kronos will handle the audio without issue but all FMVs have a large red square covering the bottom of the screen, and it doesn't render the floor correctly when in game. I'll have to fire Retroarch up and see if some of the other available cores will be able to give both good audio and video.

Last edited:
Back