Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Thanks a billion! Works like a charm! First time playing through, I'm an hour in, and loving the atmosphere! Question, if anyone knows, will my saves be compatible with future versions, going forward? I'm assuming so, but, not 100% sure.

Thanks a billion! Works like a charm! First time playing through, I'm an hour in, and loving the atmosphere! Question, if anyone knows, will my saves be compatible with future versions, going forward? I'm assuming so, but, not 100% sure.
Saves should be fully compatible, even with the Japanese version. The only incompatibility that will happen is with a handful of saves from Digital Museum that put the player in one of the towns that had to have their files split up due to size. In normal play though that shouldn't be an issue as none of those towns have save points in them.

@TrekkiesUnite118 In the opening video, there is this line on the top of the screen, that only shows up on real hardware. Tested on SSF and no line, but on my saturn:
20210113_111517.jpg

20210113_111510.jpg

Is it normal that inside the v0.9.1 patch the disc 2 patch says v0.9.0?
Also the readme states hashes for disc 1 but not for disc 2.

Oh wow, awesome project !
Are you planning to share the news on romhacking website ?
Sounds like a great addition to the list of Sega Saturn translations.

Hi, folks! Grandia for Saturn is the next game in my list (after SFIII: S3), so thanks a lot for the effort, Trekkies!
My tip to the one who complained of artifacts on the borders: use the "Border" shader for Reshade, adjust to your liking.

And my question: what's your favorite graphics config to playing Grandia on Mednafen, with a "best upscaling" approach, rather than a "CRT emulation" approach? It may include shaders for Reshade.

Would just like to say a HUGE thank you to @TrekkiesUnite118 and all others involved in bringing a fully translated version of Grandia to the Saturn.

Been watching this project since the get-go and wish I could have been more involved.

Sadly it soon went past my skill level and a full time job doesn't afford me as much time to play video games as I used to have.

Massive props and thank you everyone! Currently enjoying this on my JAP Saturn with Fenrir ODE :cool:

...Wonder if Grandia: Digital Museum will ever get translated?

Hello, awesome work!. I have been playing version 0.85 and now got the 0.9.1. For me the new version hangs when starting a new game on the black screen right after the grandia screen and before being introduced to the game world (after the credits and the initial dialogue). The bagpipe just starts playing and the game then hangs repeating half or so a second of the tune. Version 0.85 passes the same point without issues on my system. I am on a VA0 with fenrir and regionfree bios. There are no old savegames for any version of grandia on the system. I redownloaded and tried both US and jap version. I also went for a new flex cable on the fenrir.
Ill keep trying to troubleshoot anything specific on my system. I also have a va09 that takes discs so i can burn one to see if I get the same issue there. Any more ideas for troubleshooting ? Could it be a bug ? Is it just me getting this result ?
again, absolutely amazing work!

Last edited:
Hello, awesome work!. I have been playing version 0.85 and now got the 0.9.1. For me the new version hangs when starting a new game on the black screen right after the grandia screen and before being introduced to the game world (after the credits and the initial dialogue). The bagpipe just starts playing and the game then hangs repeating half or so a second of the tune. Version 0.85 passes the same point without issues on my system. I am on a VA0 with fenrir and regionfree bios. There are no old savegames for any version of grandia on the system. I redownloaded and tried both US and jap version. I also went for a new flex cable on the fenrir.
Ill keep trying to troubleshoot anything specific on my system. I also have a va09 that takes discs so i can burn one to see if I get the same issue there. Any more ideas for troubleshooting ? Could it be a bug ? Is it just me getting this result ?
again, absolutely amazing work!
Did you look at the checksums of the files before and after patching? If they don't match the ones in the readme then something went wrong there.

Last edited:
I'll test that later tonight but I'm inclined to say the issue is possibly either with how you patched or the Fenrir. The file that's used for that part is 2000.MDT which hasn't changed for a while now. And I'm seeing other people posting videos on youtube showing it getting past that part, though I'm not sure if they're on 0.9.0 or 0.9.1.

I'll test that later tonight but I'm inclined to say the issue is possibly either with how you patched or the Fenrir. The file that's used for that part is 2000.MDT which hasn't changed for a while now. And I'm seeing other people posting videos on youtube showing it getting past that part, though I'm not sure if they're on 0.9.0 or 0.9.1.
I just tested the part on version 0.9.1. on my Rhea and it worked fine.

Back