Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

It's not just that one, it's quite a few of them. I'm not going to go in and change every single one when it fits fine in the text box. The correct solution would be to fix the priority. But it's really a very minor issue which is why I haven't dug very far into it.

Makes sense. It really is something minor.
I'm playing the game for the first time ever, and being very completionist, especially with dialogues. After each minor event, I talk with everyone in every town, to see all the dialogues (already with 35 hours and just made to gadwin house).
To the point, this is the first "bug" I found. I will report if something else comes up, but I really doubt there will be anything.
Thank you for the opportunity to play Grandia the way it was meant to be played!

I'm not preserving the original localization for authenticity's sake, if that were the case I wouldn't have removed the censorship. What I'm getting at is that almost all of what you're reporting as bugs aren't bugs at all. They're either things behaving the same way they do in the Japanese version or it's nitpicking over things that are just going to happen when going from Japanese to English. English takes up more space which will cause the script to possibly spill over into another text box here and there.

I'm hesitant to change things like this because all I'm being given is an out of context screenshot. Without a save to see how those lines are playing out it causes me to have to make guesses. I can fix the "Then..." line but I'm not going to touch any of the others. That said I'd prefer to have a save of that part of the game to get a better idea of the context.

I also don't have a save file near that point in Laine. I'll try to find a YouTube LP that includes that line for context.

Makes sense. It really is something minor.
I'm playing the game for the first time ever, and being very completionist, especially with dialogues. After each minor event, I talk with everyone in every town, to see all the dialogues (already with 35 hours and just made to gadwin house).
To the point, this is the first "bug" I found. I will report if something else comes up, but I really doubt there will be anything.
Thank you for the opportunity to play Grandia the way it was meant to be played!

Yeah, I have done tests on changing the priority and it seems to work, but I have no idea how the rest of the game will react.

Basically to give a quick rundown as to what's going on, the compass is drawn by VDP1, and the text boxes by VDP2 on NBG 2 and NBG3. VDP2 has sprite priority registers that it uses to determine how sprites are to be layered with it's layers. I can change the value of the register that is being used for the compass from 7 (Highest priority, Text boxes are 5 and 6 for comparison) to 4 and it does lower it to be behind the textbox, however I don't know if there's any other sprites being assigned to that register that will get screwed up by that change.

Yeah, I have done tests on changing the priority and it seems to work, but I have no idea how the rest of the game will react.

Basically to give a quick rundown as to what's going on, the compass is drawn by VDP1, and the text boxes by VDP2 on NBG 2 and NBG3. VDP2 has sprite priority registers that it uses to determine how sprites are to be layered with it's layers. I can change the value of the register that is being used for the compass from 7 (Highest priority, Text boxes are 5 and 6 for comparison) to 4 and it does lower it to be behind the textbox, however I don't know if there's any other sprites being assigned to that register that will get screwed up by that change.
When you talked about priority, I assumed it was something like that. Seems risky to lower the compass priority. It would probably take at least one full playthrough to confirm it didn't break something else.
But, maybe you could try that in the next RC (if something else needs a fix), and, if it don't work, just revert to priority 7 for the next release.

Don't know if its a bug or how the PS1 version's text is but the end of this first line says "father'd"

Edit - I found a copy of the PS1 script and that is how it is displayed there. So it must not be a bug...

Attachments

• PXL_20210312_132346573.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210312_132346573.MP.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 180
It's a contraction of Father and would. So it reads "Do you think Father would be happy...". And yes, it is correct grammar and is a real thing:

I finally got around to playing through the latest release build. I can confirm that the FMVs with subtitles are working on physical hardware very well. On the two voiced cutscenes I have watched so far, there were a few slight issues with the subtitles.
PXL_20210313_183048677.jpg
\
Should be "continued" not "continue"

PXL_20210313_183135050.jpg

Should be "Icarian twins" not "Icariant winds"

PXL_20210313_183158826.jpg

Should be "one's" not "ones"

I presume these are a pain to encode so apologies if this makes a bit of work. I will keep playing through disk 2 and then try to get back and check disk 1 as well.

Nonetheless, these subtitles are very impressive and this continues to be amazing work.

Reactions: vbt
The subtitles are ripped directly from the HD Remaster. So I'll need to check and see how it actually lines up with the English audio.

Ah, that is interesting. I did not realise that is where they came from. I did watch the English FMVs just to check - I can see how someone would hear "Icarian Twins" as "Icariant Winds" but that is clearly not right. The other ones are more minor and just come down to how carefully someone wrote the subtitles.

Here is the video I watched with the English voices:

I'm playing at the volcano and the game has frozen 4 times at the start of battles within a 15 minute span. I had to reset each time. 3 of the 4 the music was on a quick loop, stutter like, and the controller was unresponsive. The other time there was no sound and the controller was responsive to reboot the Saturn.

Playing on real hardware and TY discs with no visible scratches, I will try burning another copy this afternoon.

Edit: it's happened 2 more times in a row at the exact same spot. Location attached.

Attachments

• gd1e_d23a~2.png
    gd1e_d23a~2.png
    55.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
I can confirm that there is something wrong. At the bottom of the V in the circle of the above image, there is a skull enemy. When battle initiates with him it will freeze as the battle starts right after the location shows up and nothing else is on the screen.
I confirmed it was the disc by burning another copy and even repatched the game and burned that image. On three discs I can confirm that this happened.

On my earlier playthrough this morning it did this on the path between the 1 and 3 on the attached map twice. For those though, after a restart it would play I could fight the enemy it froze on, and then it would freeze on a different enemy. The skull at the bottom of the "V" freezes every time.

I can confirm that there is something wrong. At the bottom of the V in the circle of the above image, there is a skull enemy. When battle initiates with him it will freeze as the battle starts right after the location shows up and nothing else is on the screen.
I confirmed it was the disc by burning another copy and even repatched the game and burned that image. On three discs I can confirm that this happened.

On my earlier playthrough this morning it did this on the path between the 1 and 3 on the attached map twice. For those though, after a restart it would play I could fight the enemy it froze on, and then it would freeze on a different enemy. The skull at the bottom of the "V" freezes every time.
Please provide a save file.

Last edited:
You can give this a try:

In the mean time I'll see if I can find a save that can get me to the volcano on Digital Museum.

I'm playing at the volcano and the game has frozen 4 times at the start of battles within a 15 minute span. I had to reset each time. 3 of the 4 the music was on a quick loop, stutter like, and the controller was unresponsive. The other time there was no sound and the controller was responsive to reboot the Saturn.

Playing on real hardware and TY discs with no visible scratches, I will try burning another copy this afternoon.

Edit: it's happened 2 more times in a row at the exact same spot. Location attached.

So I was able to get save from Digital Museum that got me to the Volcano. After testing in Mednafen, on Real Hardware using the Satiator, and on Real Hardware using a burned disc, I have not been able to reproduce this bug. I ran through the area you specified multiple times getting into battles with the enemies you mentioned and all the others I could find and I didn't have it crash on me once. I also tried both normal battles, "Your Initiative" battles as well as Ambushed battles.

So I'm going to say this is either a bad burn, or a Saturn with a dying laser.

So I was able to get save from Digital Museum that got me to the Volcano. After testing in Mednafen, on Real Hardware using the Satiator, and on Real Hardware using a burned disc, I have not been able to reproduce this bug. I ran through the area you specified multiple times getting into battles with the enemies you mentioned and all the others I could find and I didn't have it crash on me once. I also tried both normal battles, "Your Initiative" battles as well as Ambushed battles.

So I'm going to say this is either a bad burn, or a Saturn with a dying laser.
I hope it's not the laser I replaced that 2 years ago. A friend suggested loaing it up, resaving and trying again. I did that and no problem, but the old save still did the same thing.
So it may have been a corrupted save file?

Back