Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

No, there are no plans for adding in the English voices for the following reasons:
  1. I have no idea where the voices are even stored in the Saturn version as they don't appear to be in the ADX archive that holds the music and other audio data.
  2. The script would need to be resynced to work with the English Audio.
  3. There is no necessary dialogue that is voice only with no text to accompany it.
  4. The Dub voices are truly awful.

The compass priority change seems to be working when I checked disk 2. Good work changing that. Did you change any other FMV subtitles? I would still like to go back to disk 1 and check those FMVs as well soon.

No, there are no plans for adding in the English voices for the following reasons:
  1. I have no idea where the voices are even stored in the Saturn version as they don't appear to be in the ADX archive that holds the music and other audio data.
  2. The script would need to be resynced to work with the English Audio.
  3. There is no necessary dialogue that is voice only with no text to accompany it.
  4. The Dub voices are truly awful.
While I have never minded the English voice dubs, I am fine without English voices. I realise that would probably be like taking on a whole other project! With subtitles, it is perfectly playable and understandable - the only places where you cannot understand the characters is in combat or at a 'Game Over' and none of that is essential dialogue.

The compass priority change seems to be working when I checked disk 2. Good work changing that. Did you change any other FMV subtitles? I would still like to go back to disk 1 and check those FMVs as well soon.

I only changed the ones that you mentioned in this thread as those were the only issues brought to my attention. If there are others you're aware of please let me know.

While I have never minded the English voice dubs, I am fine without English voices. I realise that would probably be like taking on a whole other project! With subtitles, it is perfectly playable and understandable - the only places where you cannot understand the characters is in combat or at a 'Game Over' and none of that is essential dialogue.

Honestly if I could figure out where the voices are stored and how they work on Saturn I would have tried that route a while ago as it would have made dealing with the FMVs easier. But as I've stated I just don't know where they are stored and what format they are in. They could be ADX, or they could be raw PCM. I just don't know and haven't been able to find them.

At this point though I'm not really inclined to go digging into it as it's not really necessary. The only voice only portions left in the game is one instance of Liete saying "Welcome ye who holds the spirit stone." which is repeated less than 10 seconds later with a text box. The others are the battles which is just generic banter like "Let's go!", "You'll be alright!", etc. Most of the game over banter can really just be boiled down to each character's take on "Dammit Justin!". Yes those aren't exact translations but hopefully it illustrates that you're not really missing much and you can pretty much figure it out from the context.

Heck even Working Designs released games back then with those kind of things remaining in Japanese. Magic Knight Rayearth for example has the characters shouting their special attacks in Japanese during gameplay, but then in English for the FMVs.

I think the level of translation on the dialogue is fantastic and there is no need to pain over it going any further.

I just finished the game and got to the epilogue: did you add in extra dialogue boxes while Sue is walking? Fantastic! Although, I did notice that "i've" isn't capitalised in "I wonder what Justin will say when he sees I've become such a beautiful lady." (I missed getting a screenshot - sorry).

Also, I may have missed it in the credits, but you didn't add your name, just "Sega Saturn Patch Courtesy of SegaXtreme" - it is up to you, of course, but it would be great for your name to be recognised after all this work.

I think the level of translation on the dialogue is fantastic and there is no need to pain over it going any further.

I just finished the game and got to the epilogue: did you add in extra dialogue boxes while Sue is walking? Fantastic! Although, I did notice that "i've" isn't capitalised in "I wonder what Justin will say when he sees I've become such a beautiful lady." (I missed getting a screenshot - sorry).

Also, I may have missed it in the credits, but you didn't add your name, just "Sega Saturn Patch Courtesy of SegaXtreme" - it is up to you, of course, but it would be great for your name to be recognised after all this work.

I thought I fixed that typo but if not I'll put it in the next update. As for the credits, there was only so much space I could use to keep things timed properly. And since there were a few others who helped with this putting a group credit as SegaXtreme seemed to be the most fair. Individual Credits can be found in the Readme file.

Okay, I have returned to Disk 1 and reached the first FMV (is there a way to get to them faster with a debug disk?). There are a few subtitle issues (this is based on comparing to the English FMV):
PXL_20210323_224601379.jpg

Should be "light of the Icarians"

PXL_20210323_203720084.jpg

Should be "lest all of the stars"

PXL_20210323_203739341.jpg

This one is a bit stranger: in the English FMV, Liete says a lot more: "the people unyoked themselves of the original restrictions and began to walk along the path of evolution." (if you want to keep it simple, you can keep it as is, otherwise you might need to split into two i.e. ...original restrictions/and began to walk...)

PXL_20210323_203753080.jpg

Slightly different in the English FMV: "The lights of the Icarians and that of the Spirit Stones are the symbols of peace in this world."

Those I changed because it was way too much text to cram into the small resolution of the FMVs. I'll see if I can fix the typo of the missing "of" and "less" though.

As for looking at them, just look for footage of the HD Remasters FMVs as that's where the subs were lifted from.

Last edited:
Those I changed because it was way too much text to cram into the small resolution of the FMVs. I'll see if I can fix the typo of the missing "of" and "less" though.

As for looking at them, just look for footage of the HD Remasters FMVs as that's where the subs were lifted from.
That makes sense - the meaning is still there so it is fair to keep the final two as is.

I used a Digital Museum save + the debug disk to skip ahead a bit and got to the Dom Ruins FMV. That one has no issues as far as I can see. Hopefully I can check Twin Towers tomorrow as I think that is the only other one with voiced parts. The other ones on Disk 2 (to and from Alent) were also fine.

Thanks for all the work on this!

I've got to the end of disc 1 and it kept crashing before it let me save so I can load disc 2. I've attached the screenshot of the state it crashes in. I am using retroarch/beetle/mednafen.

I managed to sort it in a roundabout fashion. I ended up having to extract and import the save using SS Backup RAM Parser, load up yabasanshiro (I tried several others to no avail), play the last part multiple times until it didn't crash, save and then re extract/import the save to mednafen. I'm guessing it's an emulator issue rather than a patch issue but I thought it best to mention it if only so that if others have the issue they can see how I got round it.

Attachments

• crash.PNG
    crash.PNG
    25.1 KB · Views: 211
That makes sense. Retroarch/beetle uses Mednafen 1.22.2 and the issue was fixed in 1.23. My fault for going for the easy option rather than the best option.

Found a minor bug, playing disc 2 (0.9.2) with real hardware. Thick Armor appears to have an extra character, and it bugs the item list. Its more evident in stash places. I can't provide a save, but I attached pictures showing the problem.

Attachments

• 20210408_234133.jpg
    20210408_234133.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 244
  • 20210408_234342.jpg
    20210408_234342.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 224
  • 20210408_234159.jpg
    20210408_234159.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 256
  • 20210408_234405.jpg
    20210408_234405.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 248
Hello,
I encounter a bug and i'm not able to determine if it is related to emulator or patch...
I'm on cd2 and i just arrived in Laine. It happen when Milda introduce team to Darlin, right after Rapp say "A talking bull ???".
There's like a black fade animation, and then screen stay black forever, while music continue playing.
I'm using mednafen 1.26.1 and patch 9.3. Any hint ?

Found a minor bug, playing disc 2 (0.9.2) with real hardware. Thick Armor appears to have an extra character, and it bugs the item list. Its more evident in stash places. I can't provide a save, but I attached pictures showing the problem.
Looks like it's a typo in the original translation. I'll try to fix it in the next patch.

Hello,
I encounter a bug and i'm not able to determine if it is related to emulator or patch...
I'm on cd2 and i just arrived in Laine. It happen when Milda introduce team to Darlin, right after Rapp say "A talking bull ???".
There's like a black fade animation, and then screen stay black forever, while music continue playing.

Can you please provide a save file.

Last edited:
Looks like it's a typo in the original translation. I'll try to fix it in the next patch.

Can you please provide a save file.
Yes ! As there are files in "b" folder and "sav" folder, i make a 7z of both and join them here.
Thanks for taking time watching this !
I have to add i encountered earlier a little bug on time spent in the game. In fact i spent a lot less than number of hours indicated in this save file... But until now i never encounter blocking bugs...

Attachments

• b.7z
    19.5 KB · Views: 176
  • sav.7z
    3 KB · Views: 146
So I have a fix for it, I'll try to get a new patch out soon for it. It comes back to the script correction demanded back here: Translating Grandia

Basically this part of the game the script sequence skips to other parts of the file quite a few times. Trying to increase the script size to accommodate that change threw everything off and caused it to crash. I've reverted that script change as I'm not sure how many other skips there are in that file as even though I fixed one, it only got a little further before another happened. I don't want to risk it still crashing in some other time you go talk to Darlin so I've just reverted it as reverting the script change made the game stable again in that spot. I wouldn't be surprised if this is why Sony did this with the PS1 script back in the 90s.

This is also why it's VERY important to provide saves when you report something. If you don't I'm effectively making blind changes and I have no easy way to test it. That leads to things like this happening. So thank you @Dalba for actually providing saves so I could test that.

Hello,

I know this is already fixed in 0.9.4, but last night I got to this exact dialogue with real hardware, using patch 0.9.2, and it didn't bug at all.

So, maybe, it was a bug that only happens with mednafen

Update: nevermind, seens like the script changes were made in 0.9.3

Back