Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

I have a bug report! I got past the first two dungeons. I got the steamer pass and I'm trying to well, board the steamer, but the guard won't let me in. He just keeps saying "....".

I'm using Retroarch with the Beetle Saturn core, and I have a save file right next to the guard.

I'm using the latest version, 0.95. Also have a save state right next to the guard.
So none of the saves you included have a save file near that specific spot. I do however have save near that spot and he's letting me in. Can you try and get me a save closer to that point?

uNuJeMf.png

18oJ7EZ.png

AMCHT2n.png

G1XCDy3.png

How did you get the game into this state?! You're not in the right maps at all. I need a step by step breakdown of exactly what you did. Did you cheat or something?

You should have loaded into an early morning variant of the Town of Parm after leaving the house, instead your in the daytime versions of the stages. If I go back to the house with your save and exit it loads the correct maps. Your scenario map also matches the one from my save which is behaving correctly. So really what did you do?

I didn't cheat. I think I accidentally went outside of Parm (to the overworld screen) and came back, while I was trying to get to the dock. :) I get lost on 3D maps rather easily.

TrekkiesUnite118 updated Grandia English Patch with a new update entry:

Version 0.9.6 Final Release Candidate

v0.9.6-RC (5/20/2021):
- Fixed a bug where the wrong Parm map was being loaded in certain circumstances.

Read the rest of this update entry...

I just want to emphasize that while this fix shouldn't impact other maps and how they load, they should still be heavily tested. The Maps that are affected by this are Parm, New Parm, Dight, and Gumbo. These are the maps that had to be split into multiple files due to the English script being Larger. Parm was having the issue because it already had a Night Time and Early Morning variant that you could access the Map screen from and I overlooked that while adding the code to pick the right maps from the map screen. I don't believe the others have this, as I don't think you can leave Gumbo's Night time Variant.

Basically while those other maps shouldn't be impacted, if people have saves around those maps at different points in the story it would be a big help to make sure the right versions are loading in. If the wrong version loads in, you'll get behavior like what @DennyThray was seeing where people are saying "..."

I'm not sure if this is in the right place but I am having a major problem. I'm attempting to run the patched game on original hardware using a boot disc. The boot disc is 1st party so I've been trying to convert the header and run just like I always do. On the first burn I forgot to convert to 1st party so I got the "disc not suitable" error message. After I modified the image there is no error message but instead of the Saturn "ready to run" symbol I get the CD+G option.

I've never had a problem running anything before, I have a Pro Action Replay and for games like Panzer Saga that ask me to remove it I just convert the header to JP and good to go. I should mention I am on a grey Japanese Saturn. I have already successfully run things like Dragon Force II and Policenauts translated with no issues.

As far as Grandia goes, I began by DL'ing an already translated BIN - CUE and then modified the header to 1st party. After that didn't take I DL'ed an unmodded image and patched is as instructed and then modified to 1st party again as is necessary. Still no go.

Any thoughts?

When patching, I always use my original JP discs in my DVDROM drive and spit out a .CCD image for output.
What exactly are you modifying in the header?

EDIT: NEVERMIND. THE PROBLEM WAS WITH THE EMULATOR.

PSA: The beetle saturn core for Retroarch, as of this writing, freezes at the end of Disc 1. Mednafen, however, (which is far ahead of the Retroarch core) works. What I did was I copied my saved game from my Retroarch directory to Mednafen. It takes some renaming and figuring out how that works, but I eventually got it working, and it got past the frozen screen.

Got another bug. This one occurs at the end of Disc 1.

Got past pirate island, have the convo with Feena. The ship goes off into the sunset, fade to black and...

I see a very faded window telling me to hit any button to save the game and then insert disc 2, however nothing responds. It's as if the game freezes as it tries to show me that window.

Was using the Beetle Saturn core on Retroarch.

Included is a save file on the ship, but also a savestate right before the ship takes off.

Attachments

• Saves.zip
    2.2 MB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Just started a playthru on 0.9.6. Loving it, thanks for the work!

Just one thing I noticed (that you probably can't even fix) is in the Sult Ruins, right before you meet Liete, you hear her voice say something in Japanese that's not subtitled. I assume it didn't have subs and you can't add them, but if you could it would be a minor QOL improvement (I have no idea what she said).

FYI, playing on a Saturn and I have no way to upload saves.

Just one thing I noticed (that you probably can't even fix) is in the Sult Ruins, right before you meet Liete, you hear her voice say something in Japanese that's not subtitled. I assume it didn't have subs and you can't add them, but if you could it would be a minor QOL improvement (I have no idea what she said).

Maybe he can add subtitles like he did with Leen's speech on the 2nd disc, who knows.

I didn't really bother with that one as it's repeated less than a few seconds later with a text box. I don't think the HD Remaster did anything with it either.

Hi all, I just finished a playthrough using patch 9.1. I played on a real Saturn using a Satiator (not sure if that matters). For some reason, the FMVs just wouldn't play for me. The screen would go black for a couple seconds, then just move on to the next scene.

As for the translation itself, I didn't notice any issues until the after credits scene. When Sue is at the port, she says "suprised" instead of "surprised". I couldn't get a picture of it, as the text was changing automatically in that scene. Beyond that, I didn't notice anything all game. Great job!

I assume you mean 0.9.1? The patch is now on 0.9.6 so the FMVs should be working on that one. As for the typo I'll see if it still needs fixed and if so I'll fix it in the next patch.

I assume you mean 0.9.1? The patch is now on 0.9.6 so the FMVs should be working on that one. As for the typo I'll see if it still needs fixed and if so I'll fix it in the next patch.

Yep 0.9.1. I saw when I logged on there had been update patches since I started playing, but wanted to let you know what I saw from my playthrough. Thanks again.

I found some half-transparency codes in RAM for checkpoint pyramid in location on the screenshot below. Maybe it will be useful.
Code:
060DE9A4    62
060DE9B0    62
060DE9BC    62
060DE9C8    62
060DE9D4    62
060DE9E0    62
060DE9EC    62
060DE9F8    62
060DEA04    62
060DEA10    62
060DEA1C    62
060DEA28    62
060DEA34    62
060DEA40    62
060DEA4C    62
060DEA58    62

Location.png
Piramid.png

I found some half-transparency codes in RAM for checkpoint pyramid in location on the screenshot below. Maybe it will be useful.
Code:
060DE9A4    62
060DE9B0    62
060DE9BC    62
060DE9C8    62
060DE9D4    62
060DE9E0    62
060DE9EC    62
060DE9F8    62
060DEA04    62
060DEA10    62
060DEA1C    62
060DEA28    62
060DEA34    62
060DEA40    62
060DEA4C    62
060DEA58    62

View attachment 6373View attachment 6375

I've been meaning to ask you about that. One in particular I'd like to figure out is in the map of Gumbo on Disc 1. They use a lot of solid color shadows in that map that just look odd, and I was thinking it might look better if I could change them to either half transparencies or even meshes. While I can make the change in a debugger, trying to trace it back to change in the actual files is a bit more complicated from what I tried previously.

Last edited:
I've been meaning to ask you about that. One in particular I'd like to figure out is in the map of Gumbo on Disc 1. They use a lot of solid color shadows in that map that just look odd, and I was thinking it might look better if I could change them to either half transparencies or even meshes. While I can make the change in a debugger, trying to trace it back to change in the actual files is a bit more complicated from what I tried previously.
I believe that changes in the file will require unpacking it and then packing it back (for example, for * .MDT files). This is the reason for the difficulties in changing the data.
Do you have a save file so I can look at the place you mentioned? And a screenshot would also come in handy.

Back