Grandia English Patch

Translating Grandia 1.1.1

Finally beat the Saturn version of Grandia phew it took a while I've been playing it since the translation work first began.
But I had no issues on the latest 0.9.6-RC
Is there anything left to do before calling it 1.0?

There's a minor bug I need to fix near the start of the game with an item getting set to having 255 in your inventory for some reason. Then there's one or two other things I want to do and then it should be ready to go to 1.0.

TrekkiesUnite118 updated Grandia English Patch with a new update entry:

1.0.0-Final

Here it is! The final 1.0.0 Patch for the Saturn Grandia English Translation. With this release I am declaring the project done. Save for any severe bugs that prevent the game from crashing, I do not intend to do any more development towards this project. It requires version 1.95 of the Sega Saturn Patcher. The version I used to make the patch is included.

The changes in this release are focused entirely on Disc 1. And I have just recently had confirmation from Jullemasa, the World Record...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Congrats on the milestone.
The splash screen was the right call. Save the splash-less one for the Saturn Mini, when Sega contact you to license your work. ;)

Let's go !!
Finally got the BizHawk emulator working correctly this week.
Going to test this out to see if it will work on my setup.
Again, thanks to the team for their tireless work on this project !

This is been a fun journey to be on with you, congrats on making it to the finish line!

Can't wait to see what's next!

Patch version: 1.0.1
Sega Saturn Patcher version: The one included with patch v1.0.1
Redump image patched: Grandia (Japan) (Disc 1) (4M)

Found a bug in disc 1 after leaving the Sult Ruins and returning to Parm. Load the attached save file and then:
  1. Leave Parm to go to the world map
  2. Press C button on 'Port Town of Parm'
  3. Game will crash and so you're unable to move the cursor
This bug occurs on Phoebe ODE and Mednafen v1.29.0 but does not occur with the unpatched game in Mednafen.

Attachments

• GRANDIA_001.zip
    2 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
It's been like 2 years since I last connected. I remember I registered only to show my respect for the project, and the last version I knew was 0.8.5 iirc, but I wanted to say that I'm happy to see how the project finally reached its final stage. It's just awesome how much effort you put into this, we cannot thank you enough for your hard work @TrekkiesUnite118. Hope you keep on developing for the best console ever made!

It's also fun to find that when I registered a SOTN translation seemed impossible, and now I've seen it's been done even with QoL improvements such as the shortcut for the map. Awesome stuff really, you guys are beasts.

I´m having problems with the Grandia Final translation 1.1.0 on the Sega Saturn MODE. I have patched Redump images 1M and 4M and I get the same issue on both. The game boots and the FMV in attract mode runs although a bit choppy but then I get a black screen. If i try to bypass the intro FMV and press start to get to the title screen I also get a black screen. Its frustrating because it was working great on the 0.9.6 patch, but I deleted my images when I patched to the latest.

I´m having problems with the Grandia Final translation 1.1.0 on the Sega Saturn MODE. I have patched Redump images 1M and 4M and I get the same issue on both. The game boots and the FMV in attract mode runs although a bit choppy but then I get a black screen. If i try to bypass the intro FMV and press start to get to the title screen I also get a black screen. Its frustrating because it was working great on the 0.9.6 patch, but I deleted my images when I patched to the latest.
I was adviced in the Terraonion MODE discord to clear the Saturns system memory, and it worked!!

Hey TrekkiesUnite118. First of all thank you for the translation, absolutely phenomenal work! I joined here years ago just for the purpose of following this project.

I have no idea how that patch works or what it's doing so the answer is probably no for the foreseeable future. There's just other things that are higher on the priority list at the moment.

For what it's worth, did the patch work fine after the intro without the widescreen hack?

Now that the project has reached an essentially complete state I wanted to ask if there's any chance you could revisit this and have a look at including a widescreen patch that would be compatible with your project? As well as using your translation on original hardware I also use it on some modern portable devices via emulation where it would be fantastic to take advantage of the widescreen displays.

From what I can gather so far, your patch and the widescreen patch both make edits to the same bin file(s) which causes issues. Here are the .BIN files that the widescreen patch looks like it edits for reference:

BATLE.BIN
CMDMN.BIN
CNFIG.BIN
FIELD.BIN
ITGET.BIN
SHOP.BIN
SVLD.BIN

The widescreen patch has too many quality issues that I don't want to incorporate it into the English patch. Grandia uses a mix of 2D and 3D assets, and many of the 2D assets were made for a 4:3 frame and do not look correct in widescreen. Going further, many scenes will have issues as the wider aspect ratio will result in 2D Backgrounds going beyond what's actually available in the asset, resulting in garbage being drawn on the sides of the screen.

The HD Remaster got around this by zooming in and vertically cropping the 2D assets to get around that particular issue. This still doesn't look as good and honestly I don't think it's worth while trying to implement on Saturn. The other issue is that again the game is programmed for 4:3. So in cutscenes when characters walk off screen, in 16:9 you'll see them just standing there on the side of the screen which you're not supposed to see. The HD remaster had this issue as well and they had to reprogram a lot of the cutscenes to fix it.

Finally if I did get those issues resolved, I would rather have the option be available in the options screen which again would be a bit of an undertaking. Personally I don't think the end result is worth the amount of effort it would require to get widescreen working correctly.

Hi, I looked at this superb translation and this crazy work.
Respect.

I would like to know if it will be possible to have information on the offset of the pointers. I would like to take this work to pass it in French, see Spanish.

Are pointers in BBG files as well? THANKS :)

Hi, I looked at this superb translation and this crazy work.
Respect.

I would like to know if it will be possible to have information on the offset of the pointers. I would like to take this work to pass it in French, see Spanish.

Are pointers in BBG files as well? THANKS :)
There's pointers in everything really. For the bulk of the text you're going to want to focus on the MDT files as those contain the bulk of the script and text. The BBG's contain all the attack, items, etc. text for in battles. Then the menu text is in a few different binary files. The M_DAT file contains all the enemy text, and the MG_DAT file I believe is where the compressed HUD data is. There's some other files that contain graphical data and the some assembly hacking will be needed as well, which you can see by looking at the English patch.

Some of my tools still need some polish but the bulk of what you need is in my git hub:

If either the PS1 or HD remaster French scripts are adequate, I'd recommend using those for your translated script as the tools I made more have that in mind. The same files mostly apply in the PSX and HD versions, just the MDT files are MDP files instead.

Back