U.S. scientist calls for new calendar

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Originally posted by http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn6835

A physicist in the U.S. has devised a new calendar that will allow the same date to fall on the same day of the year, year after year. Our current calendar year with 365 days is synchronized with the length of the seasons and was instituted by Pope Gregory in 1582. Because 365 is not evenly divisible by 7, the same date in the year now falls on different days of the week and uses a 366-day Leap Year every four years. The new calendar has 364 days and exactly 52 weeks. Each month contains either 30 or 31 days. Christmas Day always falls on a Sunday in the new calendar. To adjust for the time takes to make a complete orbit around the sun, an extra week will be added every five or six years. It would be called "Newton Week" in honor of Sir Isaac Newton, the founder of physics.

Jan 30 days

Feb 30 days

Mar 31 days

Apr 30 days

May 30 days

Jun 31 days

Jul 30 days

Aug 30 days

Sep 31 days

Oct 30 days

Nov 30 days

Dec 31 days

364 days total

Newton Week: 7 days

What do you think? :lol:

Hmm. I like it. I've been thinking about a new calendar for a while, and this one sounds okay. However, I'd rather have 11 30-day months and 1 with 34... I'm one of those people that always has trouble remembering how many days are in a particular month.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Wed, 2005-01-05 @ 01:58 PM

Because that just is too complicated hahaha

Or are you just too stuborn? :p Whoops, that's why we're still often using "Standard" over Metric.

Even though that calendar sounds more logical, it will never happen. And as for metric time, thats just too damn silly. It has been difficult enough trying to get the west to adopt metric. Can you imagine getting the world to adopt a new calendar??

Originally posted by schi0249@Sat, 2005-01-08 @ 05:01 AM

It has been difficult enough trying to get the west to adopt metric.

[post=127285]Quoted post[/post]​

In Oz we almost exclusivly use the metric system.

Hey, the last time the calendar was changed wasn't all that long ago. All it needs is a bit of legislation.

Then that makes 2 holidays that always fall on sunday.. (Easter being the other). That would suck because most places dont seem to have holiday pay for easter due to the fact it falls on a sunday..

Of course the whole newton week could turn into a week of pure partying.. kinda like spring break for the entire world. :p

Back