Ulala sues Sega

It says that she played the role at the Tokyo Game Show, not that she was modeled after her.

Keep in mind, Dee-lite's get-up preceded Ulala's by a great number of years. Another issue is that if Ulala was modeled after the person in the link, it wasn't for her look (I'm assuming that this person had a greater role than that of the model at a game show).

EDIT: I probably should add this. Losses don't just mean how much Dee-Lite 'lost' because someone stole her schtik, but also whatever Sega gained by 'stealing it'.

It all really depends on which side the judge sees more. Dee-lite could argue she due royalties, and Sega could argue she hasn't done anything recently nor would anyone associate her with Ulala. The only issues of contention is Sega's 'history' in this, and Dee-Lite's claim.

So this isn't about the actual dance steps, then? Good, 'cause I couldn't see how that could be a legal matter. Whatever dance steps Ms. Kier used at the height of her career are hardly copyrighted to her I would think. We're not exactly talking MJ's Moonwalk here, right?
wink.gif
Pretty much anybody (given practice/the right body) can do these dance steps.

I still maintain satire is a freedom of speech. Just like a paradoy of a politician or president, pop stars are open game for imitation in the effort of comedy entertainment.

(by the way, I just got an optical mouse by microsoft, and the stupid light stays on! even when the computer in in standby mode... all night! I just bought an unwanted nightlight!)

It's more of a trademark issue than anything related to free speech. If Sega ideed tried to license her for the game it shows pretty clearly that the character was designed with her in mind, and when they didn't get the license they went ahead and used her anyway. The character or the game aren't parodies either, so that's not a valid defense.

Utter ridiculousness!!!!

Deeelite?!!! They were nothing of the sort in the 80's and I never heard much of them to begin with. I remember driving my '88 Fiero and hearing that crap on the radio and changing it very quickly to a new wave channel!!

Sega just gets shit on once again!!! :bs

Back