Ulala sues Sega

I've played plenty of Space Channel and never ONCE was reminded of Deee-Lite ...

In regard to the photo... well, why's she wearing a one-piece dress and not the Ulala kind of sports bra and really-skimpy-miniskirt thingie? Where are the two big pony tails? The headphone set and the laser gun?

Some resemblance, sure, but not much. Definitely not enough to confuse "consumers," which I would almost take as a personal insult, thankyouverymuch Mr. Jackass Lawyer.
tongue.gif

More like, early 90s, i'd say.

You should at least remember maybe perhaps their only hit, "Groove is in the heart" It sounds like something that should've been in Jet Grind Radio... to me anyway.

Originally posted by MTXBlau+May 1, 2003 @ 02:18 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MTXBlau @ May 1, 2003 @ 02:18 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-jeff-20@Apr 30, 2003 @ 10:27 AM

I think she just ran out of money and figured it was worth a shot.

If she ran out of money, suing a large company isn't exactly the best way to make money. Lawyer's fees are pretty expensive, especially against large corporations.

[/b][/quote]

Or media attention... she hasn't been popular for a LONG time. Maybe she is trying to jump start her career. Whether she wins or loses, she still gets press.

Also, her image belongs to the pop culture. Nothing she did/wore was unavailble to the general public. Her image was just the trend of the moment.

I'm beginning to wonder why we didn't hear (or see) Deee-Lite in one of the Austin Powers movies.
tongue.gif

Yeah. She shoulda sued Mike Myers for making whole movies so obviously influenced by her and not giving her credit.
rolleyes.gif

Hah, your so correct Taelon... I never though of that...

If anything she should be suing Austin Powers films before SEGA... Way more resemblance there.

Originally posted by Jaded God@May 1, 2003 @ 09:44 PM

If anything she should be suing Austin Powers films before SEGA... Way more resemblance there.

I'm sure the producers of Austin Powers didn't come to this person, then proceed to rip off their look with only slight modifications after not receiving this person's permission.

I think the lawsuit is frivolous, don't get my wrong. But, Sega committed a grevious mistake by approaching her first.

I agree, I mean they got away with it any way, but it would have gone off smoother if they hadn't come to her in the first place.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@May 2, 2003 @ 09:20 PM

I think the lawsuit is frivolous, don't get my wrong. But, Sega committed a grevious mistake by approaching her first.

Do we know this for a fact?

I may have missed it.

I was going to say the same thing. All the article said was that she said (or her lawyer(s) said) Sega had approached her first...

Simply put, the prosecution simply has to bring up that this isn't an isolated incident, and refer to Sega v. Nike (or whatever the offiical court case was, I don't have access to WestLaw).

It is completely plausible that they did ask her and then decided to go ahead and do it anyway, seeing as how the NBA 2K commercial was a mirror image of the Nike commercial.

Back