Virtua Fighter 2 PS2 update

The news has been around that a PS2 remake of VF2 is in development in Japan. There has been a lot of talk about what changes will be made and what it will look like. Most of the Public is complaining from what I hear. This however I found interesting.

Sega Voice

For those who don't know Japanese, like myself, I had a friend give me the rundown of what it said.

VF2 PS2 is running on emulation NOT a port. They couldn't do a straight port because they don't have all of the original data from the arcade game in raw form...Wow.

I mean, I can run emulated Fighting Vipers on my PC, but it doesn't run nearly as good as VF2 does.

Screw being disappointed in this game. The fact that they got a Model 2 emulator running that well on the PS2 is a pretty impressive technical feat.

People need to just stop complaining.

Emulation eh? That's interesting.

I've been follow the port fairly closely, and the part that REALLY gets me, is when people say "You can switch between 2.0 and a new 2.1 version."

YOU CAN SWITCH BETWEEN THE TWO IN THE SATURN VERSION!

I'd post all the differences between the two, but it's late, and I can't remember all that right now.

it seems that Sega is indeed sticking close to the arcade version -- very close.  The game will feature the bare minimum of modes, with plans for an arcade mode, versus mode and the arcade version's hidden ranking mode (this latter mode is available from the start without inputting special commands).  You won't even be able to set the game's time limit to infinity!  One change, which we welcome, is the option for the arranged music that was originally used in Saturn version of the title

I love setting the life bar and timer to the max for a nice long fight! Dammit! We better be able to change button configurations....

Due to framerate issues and crap via the emulation, I'll never get an arcade perfect VF2...

That is until I get every VF arcade machine... :p :thumbs-up:

I think they're using a High Level Emulation, because there's no way Model 2 could run full speed on PS2 using low level emulation. I suppose that since they own the code, they should be able to "fake" the emulation better than anyone else. So they're using HLE. The possibility of error creaps in quite a bit. (like Sonic CD not being able to be fully emulated)

They could have also used Dynamic Recompilation, but unless Eric Traut (of Virtual Game Station fame) works for Sega now, I'd highly doubt it.

HAHA, one name comes to mind when I think of that actually: Steve Snake :looney

Originally posted by Pearl Jammzz@Oct 16, 2004 @ 05:36 PM

good ol' steve snake, what is he up to now adays? He workin on anything?

[post=121149]Quoted post[/post]​

No clue, but let's hope not.

I should add that I also find it horribly ironic that a lot of the people whining about PS2 VF2 hold Fighters Megamix in high regard... which is, in my opinion, the most lazy and sloppy work AM2 has ever done. It was made in 5 months and it shows in the gimmicky extras and the horrible play imbalance. Definitely one of AM2's lesser titles.

Darsh: You don't think Sega is incapable of writing a Dynamic Binary Translator for the i960-KB (if they even had to), do you? The Model 2 isn't THAT bad, unless VF2 ran on a later derivative.

PJammzz: http://kega.eidolons-inn.net/

Kega Fusion. For great justice.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Oct 16, 2004 @ 05:47 PM

Darsh: You don't think Sega is incapable of writing a Dynamic Binary Translator for the i960-KB (if they even had to), do you? The Model 2 isn't THAT bad, unless VF2 ran on a later derivative.

Naw Sega would go to the lengths to do what they need to, and I have faith they can do it, but a lot of the original data was lost (this seemed to happen with a whole bunch of sega games from around that time, Rayearth had a similar issue). Plus it's a 2500 yen game, and the time invested to make it perfect would have not give best returns from the price point I think.

Just wondering since we're on the talk of Emulation, is the new Sonic Mega collection for PS2 going to finally have Sonic CD on it? Cuz I remember them not being fully able to emulate it 100% and thus why it didn't make it on the GC version.

Perhaps it wasn't purely because they couldn't, but maybe that they couldn't to their satisfaction within their time constraints. That still doesn't sound very convincing to me, but oh well. It'd be easier to get it running on an Xbox, but that is not likely to happen.

Originally posted by PenPen@Oct 17, 2004 @ 12:03 PM

This makes me think that the Dragon Force port would be like crap too. :(

[post=121217]Quoted post[/post]​

Well as I said before and then some. It's a 2500 yen game.

It's a 10 year old title that's basically selling on nostalgia - there's already a good Saturn port and a killer PC version out there.

I can't find any problems at all with the gameplay - from what I can tell people are upset about the framedrop that was done to keep it consistent with the M2 original's refresh rate. Also there's no training mode from what I hear, but to me that's not a big deal.

(I suppose what truly amazes me is that people are getting their panties in a bunch over a 10-year-old title that was basically re-released for nostalgia purposes. I mean, seriously, I find the thing near impossible to play after the advancements seen in FV2 and VF4. Why'd I buy it? Memories of being 9, when arcades actually existed here.)

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Oct 20, 2004 @ 05:33 PM

Please tell me your joking!

Fighting Vipers 2 was HORRIBLE!

[post=121390]Quoted post[/post]​

It depends how you look at it. It's not the best game but it still is a great one with how it was made. Dispite the horrible way it was put together port wise.

Originally posted by Darsh@Oct 17, 2004 @ 08:53 AM

Just wondering since we're on the talk of Emulation, is the new Sonic Mega collection for PS2 going to finally have Sonic CD on it? Cuz I remember them not being fully able to emulate it 100% and thus why it didn't make it on the GC version.

[post=121167]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah it's not going to be on there. It's essentially the same as the GameCube game, but with some of the GameGear games (only some, not all, believe it or not) that were also seen on SADX. Very disappointing really, not really deserving of the name 'Sonic Mega Collection Plus'.

(Wouldn't it have been better to use SMS's versions of the titles if they were avaliable anyway? But I digress...).

Also, I actually read in an interview with some Sega exec (who's name has slipped my mind), that Sonic CD never made it into the GameCube Sonic Mega Collection because of 'political' issues. I'll try and find the link for the interview later.

Sega always seems to get dragged down by internal politics, and it really effects them commercially. I know more than a few people who would have bought the Mega Collection purely for Sonic CD.

Getting back to VF2... well I'm as sceptical as everyone else about the quality of the emulation, but we shall see... I would actually buy the game just to see a decent attempt at Saturn emulation in action actually.

Saturn? Err, they're not trying to pull off a miracle here. They're emulating the Model 2 arcade hardware.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Oct 22, 2004 @ 12:11 PM

Saturn? Err, they're not trying to pull off a miracle here. They're emulating the Model 2 arcade hardware.

[post=121433]Quoted post[/post]​

...y'know, for some reason I totally misread the article. That makes a little more sense, I thought Saturn emulation sounded a little bit much...

Well if Sega full it off properly, it'll be more arcade perfect than a port could ever be... cool.

That's kinda interesting actually, Virtua Fighter 2 was one of the Model 2 games emu authors never managed to emulate on the PC (unlike later games like STCC which were), because it used some strange custom Fujitsu part for 3D. Naturally this was never going to effect Sega, but it does make it a little more interesting to see what this is like, for me at least.

Originally posted by Shakey Jake33@Oct 22, 2004 @ 08:16 PM

That's kinda interesting actually, Virtua Fighter 2 was one of the Model 2 games emu authors never managed to emulate on the PC (unlike later games like STCC which were), because it used some strange custom Fujitsu part for 3D.  Naturally this was never going to effect Sega, but it does make it a little more interesting to see what this is like, for me at least.

[post=121443]Quoted post[/post]​

Not so much strange as undocumented.

Back