WANTED - SEGA SATURN PRE MODDED PLEASE HELP!

Hi there i'm new to this forum, i own a modded sega saturn (pal) which plays cdr backups and also has the region and speed switches on it, now i'm not a pirate before you start! i simply cannot afford the truly great games like radiant silvergun and pds etc, i still own many originals and continue to buy them, thing is - my saturn has become very unreliable and will only boot games (originals and cdrs) when it wants , which unfortunately isnt very often - so i need a pre-modded saturn which will do all of the above, i have scoured the net and cannot find them , only mod-chips but im useless with a soldering iron - so if anybody can help or if anybody wants to sell theirs please contact me with a price, thanks - you are my last hope!!!

;)

Finding a model 2 pal saturn is really easy... I'd advise doing that and then talking to Racketboy about getting a mod chip and a 4in1 cart from him.

The region and 50/60hz mod are difficult, but thats why you get the cart instead. No damn soldering with that.

As for the chip, it's REALLY easy to install. As many have said before, if you can pick up a soldering iron with out poking your own eye out you'll do just fine.

Thanks for the quick response! i don't even own a soldering iron so i have zero experience with one! can you be a little more descriptive of how easy it is? :)

saturn6.jpg

You see the blue wire? It is connected to solder pad A... all you do is solder the other end to solder pad B. Then the red cable you can tape or solder to the 5v on the power board. And of course plug it into the mainboard where it goes (you can see full directions elsewhere... but that is specifics on the amount of soldering you'd have to do).

It is dependant on what model Saturn you get though. You need a 21 pin Model 2 with 32pin IC. The Saturns that have round power buttons tend to be this set up.

I dunno man, i just had a look at racketboys site (at the installation guide) and its terrifying!!!! :blink: My offer still stands, i'll even purchase the saturn and chip and send it to somebody (trustworthy) if i must, thanks!

P.S. lordofduct has put forward thart it doesnt have to have the region switches on it so that part really isnt important , just the modchip !

Once you get the thing in hand and think about it a bit, it's really not too bad if you have a Model 2. Make sure you're looking at the Model 2 instructions.

There's not too much to screw up

Ok, i've brought myself a soldering iron and im going to order a couple of modchips, now all i need is a saturn to try it on - is ebay the best place?

ebay is decent... just make sure to look for the model 2s. They are the ones with round buttons.

If it has oval buttons DO NOT BUY... you have to be rather good at soldering to mod them.

Ask the sellers to look inside and see if the insides looks like the one in my Model 2 instructions.

Some round button Saturns are not Model 2s

Originally posted by lordofduct@Fri, 2005-12-23 @ 05:04 AM

ebay is decent... just make sure to look for the model 2s. They are the ones with round buttons.
[post=142749]Quoted post[/post]​

And made in Indonesia. Some are made in China and they are horrible to mod. If you buy on eBay just ask the seller a question and most will tell you. This way you don't need the seller to open them up.

Ok, thanks for all of your input thus far - i'm slowly learning, just gotta get a saturn , there's hardly any on ebay at the moment and the sellers seem to be quite ignorant , ive asked them all the questions but none have replied - do they not want to sell the damn things?!?!? :huh

I had the same problem, many sellers simply would not reply and half of those who did reply didnt understand what i was asking them to do. I found a 32-pin saturn in the end.

It's Xmas season and all so it might be a little hard right now.

Also it is true a lot of people aren't savy in this area... if they were they probably are Sega geeks already and had it modded.

Most the Saturn dealers you find on there are people who found it in there garage/attic or big seller/dealers who have a stock of them and don't have the time to look.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't keep contacting them, there are a lot of the unknowing type out there that are still willing to check for ya. Just be very specific in your email what you are looking for.

Yeah, sometimes sellers will go out of their way for you, the seller i bought my saturn off was really helpful. Although i did have to spell out how to take the top of the saturn and what to look for, and then how to put it back together.

yeah no problem... that's a fairly good price for a modded saturn that comes with controllers and hook ups, since it's modded it should play all region games, and if he want's to install a region switch for NTSC/PAL it's only a matter of soldering 3 wires and cutting one trace. Here are instructions:

http://users.skynet.be/DuNe/djoen.html

(go to Sega Modding -> Saturn - Model 2)

i was thinkin bout doin the region switch too but i havent tried it yet i have 4 more saturns sitting here waitin to be modded all model 2s and i was lucky they all happen to be 32 pin :)

Hi all, been away a couple with it being xmas and all, the guys did get back to me about the saturns in the end - guess they were busy too! but now i notice several people have put theres up for sale - i hope im not too late - ntsc saturns are not a problem and like i said before the 50hz/60hz switch is not a problem (as long as i can get a 4-in-1 cart!)

cheers!

I have a modded Japanese gray Saturn (20 pins) also has AR+4in1 and virtua gun plus some games. How much do you plan on spending?

Back