War of The Worlds.

The special effects & Tripod Robots looked amazing but it was quite disappointing the fact that the story was mainly focused on Tom Cruise & his kids, rather than the invasion it self.

Also it didn't make sense that the tripods were buried in the ground for million of years. They should have come from the sky inside asteroids like the original. Its hard to believe that people never came across one of those when digging to build their cities.

Also it never refers to Mars as their place of origin. It simply says that they were planning this for a long time.

I loved the part when the flaming train passes fast in front of the horrid citizens in that small town.

Reminded me of Metal Slug 2, Gun Force 2 or Contra ;)

But... about in the middle of the movie... it was nerve aching when the soldiers & tanks where charging up hill & the F-22s shooting rockets, but it never actually shows what they were firing at.

Instead Tom Cruise is trying to stop his retarded son from following the soldiers into battle...

It was shocking that he managed to survive in the end too! ;)

The so called drama experience, Spielberg is trying to spit out throughout the movie was hilarious imo.

The old classic 'War of The Worlds Movie" was much better than this imo.

Wasn't there supposed to be another 2 "War of The Worlds" movies coming out?

One was supposed to be a JPN Anime... I think?

Originally posted by ST Dragon@Tue, 2005-07-05 @ 10:17 PM

Wasn't there supposed to be another 2 "War of The Worlds" movies coming out?

One was supposed to be a JPN Anime... I think?

I don't know about two other movies, but there certainly is this one.

I read somewhere that it is a lot more faithful to the original story, but when you've got Cruise/Spielberg to compete with it's not suprising that it's going (gone?) straight to DVD.

[edit] yup, straight to DVD.

meh, not watching this tripe... The first blew, Spielberg is a dork, and Tom Cruise is NOT an actor. 3 things I hate.

I'll watch it for free when it is on DVD and one of my retarded friends who has no taste in quality film decides to buy it and leave it on the coffee table.

These are people who thought "I Robot" is amazing or Julia Roberts is a great actress who can tug at your heart... dramatically (not looks wise, though she fails at that too IMO)

NOW, after all that. Wasn't the first "movie" (I say movie because the radio show did follow a different route) have more of a dramatic story... love story... to it then it did about the invasion itself. As I recall it was stupid ships coming over hiding behind an asteroid, coming down and doing their annoying "Whir whoop whoop" sound effect, models melt, toy cars flip over, and people scream. The rest is a man and some girl attempting to survive the whole fiasco without going to deaf from the ear bleeding "whir whoop whoop" sound you hear every 2 seconds!!!!

I hated that movie... not... a... classic!

The only thing I give this supposed classic is the radio show was inventive and did pull a good show off for listeners to the point of mass panic. That is about it.

Directors today, especially dorks like Spielberg who are supposedly great legendary directors, should grow some balls and tap that inventive part of their feeble brains and make something ORIGINAL. Stop with the comic book movies (though Batman rules) stop with the video game movies, and stop with the remakes. AND if you are going to make a movie from a book; don't stuff it full of commercials and actually make a SLIGHT attempt at following the book... just a little bit please. (yes that is at you I Robot... I don't think EVERYONE is gonna be driving Audi's in the future.)

Oh and I said something about Julia Roberts earlier. I saw a movie recently that I actually really liked despite her being one of the main characters. Then again her character is meant to be hated, so me inherent hatred assisted in this.

The movie is called "Closer" and stars Jude Law who is just amazing all the time. He is a pansy version of the old Michael Kaine that I just have to love... shit I even liked it when he did a Michael Kaine remake "Alfie"!

Originally posted by lordofduct@Tue, 2005-07-05 @ 12:35 PM

meh, not watching this tripe... The first blew, Spielberg is a dork, and Tom Cruise is NOT an actor. 3 things I hate.

I'll watch it for free when it is on DVD and one of my retarded friends who has no taste in quality film decides to buy it and leave it on the coffee table.

These are people who thought "I Robot" is amazing or Julia Roberts is a great actress who can tug at your heart... dramatically (not looks wise, though she fails at that too IMO)

NOW, after all that. Wasn't the first "movie" (I say movie because the radio show did follow a different route) have more of a dramatic story... love story... to it then it did about the invasion itself. As I recall it was stupid ships coming over hiding behind an asteroid, coming down and doing their annoying "Whir whoop whoop" sound effect, models melt, toy cars flip over, and people scream. The rest is a man and some girl attempting to survive the whole fiasco without going to deaf from the ear bleeding "whir whoop whoop" sound you hear every 2 seconds!!!!

I hated that movie... not... a... classic!

The only thing I give this supposed classic is the radio show was inventive and did pull a good show off for listeners to the point of mass panic. That is about it.

Directors today, especially dorks like Spielberg who are supposedly great legendary directors, should grow some balls and tap that inventive part of their feeble brains and make something ORIGINAL. Stop with the comic book movies (though Batman rules) stop with the video game movies, and stop with the remakes. AND if you are going to make a movie from a book; don't stuff it full of commercials and actually make a SLIGHT attempt at following the book... just a little bit please. (yes that is at you I Robot... I don't think EVERYONE is gonna be driving Audi's in the future.)

Oh and I said something about Julia Roberts earlier. I saw a movie recently that I actually really liked despite her being one of the main characters. Then again her character is meant to be hated, so me inherent hatred assisted in this.

The movie is called "Closer" and stars Jude Law who is just amazing all the time. He is a pansy version of the old Michael Kaine that I just have to love... shit I even liked it when he did a Michael Kaine remake "Alfie"!

[post=136322]Quoted post[/post]​

"Closer" a good film? A story of four spoiled people who have absolutely no capacity to share anything with anyone, told in a prententious style? This has been done to death in Europe, and often much better. See "Intimacy" by Patrice Chereau. Much better, more honest, rougher story.

"Can't take my eeeeeyyyyeeess offa ye-ew........" :puke:

Yeah, not a big Jude Law fan myself, either. He doesn't seem to have more emotional range than Cruise.. it's just that his main attitude is 'snotty' rather vs. Cruise's 'preppy'. I thought 'Closer' was pretty bad, too.. tsumake's right, another decent (and funny) movie in that style would be Bunuel's 'Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie'.

As for 'War of the Worlds', I haven't seen it yet, and I might not, but the novel also concentrated on the experiences of the narrator and not the overall invasion, so that's hardly a point against it. I would have preferred it had they set the film in the 1800's as well. I did like the 1950's movie, especially the heavy religious overtones at the end (wonder if the Martian are religious?).

Got that cactus out of your arse yet Dyldo? ;)

I'm with you on this one - I think Closer is a great film, but then I've worked on the stage version of it before. It's even better with four people "live" in the same room as you.

The movie was so bad.

I hated it, and the ending was not my cup of tea.

Does anyone notice that when you go to the movies these days you can't really get into it because of all the idiots that occupy the seats around you? Over the past few years it seems the IQ of people in the theater has plummeted to nauseating new lows....

There was a time when I loved Speilberg. Movies such as Jaws, Close Encounters and E.T. were amazing. Also, the Indiana Jones series was real cool. Even some of his more dramatic peices were good; movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Shindlers List were amazing. Lately though, its turned into some decent movies with real crappy endings: A.I., Minority Report, and this movie.

Originally posted by schi0249@Tue, 2005-07-05 @ 11:36 AM

There was a time when I loved Speilberg. Movies such as Jaws, Close Encounters and E.T. were amazing. Also, the Indiana Jones series was real cool. Even some of his more dramatic peices were good; movies such as Saving Private Ryan and Shindlers List were amazing. Lately though, its turned into some decent movies with real crappy endings: A.I., Minority Report, and this movie.

[post=136343]Quoted post[/post]​

dont forget about Jurassic Park and The Lost World.

Originally posted by mal@Tue, 2005-07-05 @ 12:45 PM

Got that cactus out of your arse yet Dyldo? ;)

I'm with you on this one - I think Closer is a great film, but then I've worked on the stage version of it before. It's even better with four people "live" in the same room as you.

[post=136336]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah, cactus still there. :blink:

I just figured that there had to be something else behind your diatribe - they are only movies and as such are rather inconsequential...

well there kinda is, I didn't want to go on another rant though when I made that comment (as you can see I had edited that post because I began too...)

Meh, what does it matter though, they are just movies.

Are you the Zen master or something mal?

I am planning on seeing this movie later in the week, it looks good. Not that big a fan of Tom Cruise though, except maybe Days Of Thunder, Vanilla Sky & Eyes Wide Shut.

Originally posted by Zziggy00@Tue, 2005-07-05 @ 12:15 PM

The movie was so bad.

I hated it, and the ending was not my cup of tea.

Does anyone notice that when you go to the movies these days you can't really get into it because of all the idiots that occupy the seats around you? Over the past few years it seems the IQ of people in the theater has plummeted to nauseating new lows....

[post=136337]Quoted post[/post]​

so true...

One of the contributing factors to my decline in buying movies tickets. Personally, I usually would rather wait for the dvd and buy or rent it.

I get 10 free dvd rentals a week, so I often end up putting of going to the cinema with the knowledge I can see it for free in a few months. If it's something I've been waiting for then I'll just bite the bullet and spend the money at the cinema. It's getting more and more expensive though. >:E

I just saw this movie and thought it wasn't too bad. There are several parts that change it from the original storyline, and the director probably could have changed just a little bit around and made it a sequel, or a completely different movie with a completely different name.

Robbie going over the hill and surviving that huge explosion is so unrealistic. He really did die.. What you saw at the end was his clone :/

I believe that the main character in the original actually killed one of the aliens in the basement. In this one, he doesn't. Also, there wasn't any radio communications or anything, which is kinda what trademarked H. G. Wells radio show version. There just was no H. G. Wells in this movie...

If you can get through that, and you like scifi movies, then I don't see why no one would like this movie.

Also, there wasn't any radio communications or anything, which is kinda what trademarked H. G. Wells radio show version. There just was no H. G. Wells in this movie...

I think you mean 'Orson Welles'.

oops lol.. been awhile since I've seen the original movie or heard the radio show hehe

Originally posted by it290@Sat, 2005-07-09 @ 01:07 PM

I think you mean 'Orson Welles'.

[post=136510]Quoted post[/post]​

Back