Weapons Grade Uranium found in Iran

hey lyzel i fight for freedoms. i've taken hits for practicing my freedoms all i said was if all hell breaks loose i'd move. (example of all hell breaking loose: a government hungry on power decides that through the vails of war it's a good time to crack down on certain freedoms or just forget they are there for the masses)

Originally posted by Lyzel@Aug 29, 2003 @ 07:47 PM

But you're right in one thing, I don't want to discuss this. I already know we have a bunch of cowards in this forum.

I wouldn't say cowards. I would say rational.

YOU may think it's ok, but for those people in the military, how do you tell the families of the military people that the US is sending them to fight a war that we have no business fighting?

There's also the issue of funding. How does deficit spending work? Rather, do YOU know how deficit spending works?

When countries hold the power to destroy other countries, you don't call their bluff. Japan called ours, and how many people did we evaporate? (If it were any other culture other than Japan, arguably the war would've gone on longer) If anything, 9/11 and the continued losses we're sustaining in a supposed peaceful Iraq shows how vulnerable we are. And the continued acts of terrorism.

But, realistically, what does a show of force do? Has it ever convinced people to run and hide in fear? The main crux of terrorism IS fear. If 9/11 has demonstrated anything, a show of force only asks for more force. Another very easy example - the continual bombing of England by the Axis. Did they run? Did they succumb to the 'greater force'?

Finally, my last example, is one that every American born school child understands - the Revolutionary War. The British realistically outgunned and outpowered the US Military. But the British didn't count on one thing - fighting on your own ground, own territory. Soldiers are dying in Arabia not just because of hostile attacks, but not having been brought up in that area and forced to acclimate under heavy duress (the pneumonia like symptoms? apparently has to do with the constant inhalation of sand and smoke).

Technology is finite, as is the capacity to see outside of the box. You can label anyone a coward - I've labeled you naive. But it's easy to call people names behind a computer.

Actually, I will tell you straight out in person or otherwise the same thing. I'm not like you. I don't hide. That's how I am.

Thousand of people dies every day. Haven't you learned yet that life can come to and end at any time. I believe that if you have the power to relieve people of their suffering, that you should do something about it. Atleast when you die, you have atleast achieve something in this world. And it may be possible that your children, and grand children, great grand children, etc, etc will have a better life.

Oh well, that's just me.

Originally posted by MTXBlau@Aug 29, 2003 @ 07:18 PM

(If it were any other culture other than Japan, arguably the war would've gone on longer)

Another very easy example - the continual bombing of England by the Axis. Did they run? Did they succumb to the 'greater force'?

Don't you really mean if it were any other country the war would have ended quicker? Die-hards almost kept the war going in Japan. Some also tried to make sure the Emperor would never get his speech broadcast, luckily they failed. In Japan you had soldiers who wouldn't believe the option of surrender and wouldn't have obeyed it had it come from anyone other than the Emperor himself.

Britain almost fell to Hitler before the Blitz. One man ensured the Blitz would happen, Churchill. Half the government wanted to surrender so the war could end. Instead of bowing at Hitler's feet like the French government, he stood up against evil for the greater good of humanity, even if other people didn't realize it at the time, which included a pacifist American populace.

I don't hide.

You've done an excellent job of hiding from questions that actually require thought instead of heavily ornamented repetition of "I'm right and you're a defective human."

Thousand of people dies every day. Haven't you learned yet that life can come to and end at any time.

Are you so enlightened that life holds value only when you say it does? That your insight trumps that of the most earnest philosophers in human history? If so, I surely hope my skepticism in such incredible matters is within reasonable bounds, and you do not see fit to find my life without merit.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Aug 30, 2003 @ 11:18 PM

I don't hide.

You've done an excellent job of hiding from questions that actually require thought instead of heavily ornamented repetition of "I'm right and you're a defective human."

Thousand of people dies every day. Haven't you learned yet that life can come to and end at any time.

Are you so enlightened that life holds value only when you say it does? That your insight trumps that of the most earnest philosophers in human history? If so, I surely hope my skepticism in such incredible matters is within reasonable bounds, and you do not see fit to find my life without merit.

Ooo college-edcuated burn. Good point, but you can't try to reason with him. He seems fixed on his dogmatic principals and I doubt there is much you can do to turn him off that one-track way of thinking.

Don't you really mean if it were any other country the war would have ended quicker?

I meant, holding all things equal, other countries may have continued to fight,

and avenge such destruction. The culture of the Japanese dictated absolute reverence

of the Emperor, who had only a week prior ordered them to fight with sharpened poles if

needed.

I mean this is all dependent on the emperor / leader itself.

Half the government wanted to surrender so the war could end. Instead of bowing at Hitler's feet

like the French government, he stood up against evil for the greater good of humanity, even if other people

didn't realize it at the time, which included a pacifist American populace.

Which is exactly what I meant. They certainly COULD have surrendered, but didn't.

This was still a time when nations surrendered, signed and abided by peace treaties when they knew they couldn't win. They would avenge their defeats after a period of time passed and attempt a round two. That seems to be what should be a normal process.

But Britain wasn't dealt a show of force until after they resolved to continue the war.

Back