What do you think the most overrated game(s) is?

Cloud121

Established Member
Locke and I debate nonstop all the time on this.

In my opinion, the single most overrated game would have to be Xenogears for PSX. I just can't see why this gets so much praise, despite boring the hell out of you with it's 20 minute plus conversations that have no point to 'em. Here's a little rant I did a few months ago at a different board:

Xenogears is the slowest, most boring, and repetitive RPG I've played. I did a little rant about this on another message board one time:

To Manifest and Negative4:

I took the time to read the conversations and everything. I KNOW it takes the dialogue to tell the story. I appreciate a great storyline! The storyline is the most important part of an RPG! Chrono Cross and Phantasy Star IV have the best plots of the RPGs I've played.

Why do I bash Xenogears in that regard? Because it takes 5 - 10 minutes of senseless drivel just to get to the point! That and the damn character portraits fill up 1/4 of the conversation window, just makes the text go on longer. Also, they go on and on about something for four - six sentences, when it really could've and (should've) been told in only about two or three. I can understand having to have the lengthy conversations midway through, or towards the end of the game (as that's where all the plot's at), but to throw the player into them early on, when there is little to nothing of interest, it's just ridiculous.

To quote Jeromec's Xenogears review:

Xenogears can be described as an anti-player game. You - the player - are not  allowed to interface with the game. Sure, now and again you use your joypad and see little people move. But the story is very linear and you never have an  opportunity to take a break and explore the world a bit. Even worse, every two minutes, there is a 30-minute cutscene you cannot skip or even accelerate.

To quote Psycho Penguin a few times:

Maybe SquareSoft should have decided to make a game instead of a book...

Call it The Xenogears Bug. I felt the story line was good, but how many 20-30 minute story scenes can you handle before you just pass out from total boredom?

I liked it early on in the game, like really early, before The Xenogears Bug kicks in. Actually, it kicks in right from the start, but I like the whole deal about your friend getting married, but once you get outside it all goes downhill from there.
I feel the same way in this regard.

However, I could not enjoy all of the stuff featured in the game as much as I expected to. Why is this? Well, it is because of the damn Xenogears bug. The story scenes in the game were way too numerous. It almost made the game feel like a book instead of an actual game. Every time you turned around you were thrust into another scene which usually meant nothing by the time you finished the game. After almost ever boss you would have to sit through a long scene.

To quote Wutchaduntame:

Fun 4/10 Well, basically what you do is talk for about an hour straight, fight a few guys, talk for another hour or so, fight a while, talk again, etc. It gets very repetitive and boring after a while. Then, when you finally think they're about to do something good, it turns out just to be another hour-long yak-a-thon, with a few fights in between.

Sure, it has the best battle system of any RPG I've ever played, and it has my preferred style of graphics. But when you factor the above in, the game just becomes a chore!

Xenogears is one of those games that you either love it, or you hate it.

Wow I agree with you both! Surprisingly my roommate LOVED xenogears, and he despises any RPG by face. I think it was because he gets to kill god or some shizzy.

But in my personal opinion, i would choose just about any squaresoft game in general. That and sonic 2... now wait, what did he just say. Not sonic 2. YES, sonic 2.

I like the game... but its overrated in my opinion. but im at work so im not gonna take an hour to describe why. ::everyone on SX soes, "thank god!"::

In the past I would have said Tomb Raider, but now most people see that for the crap it was.

Now I would say Gran Turismo which to me is boring a car collocting and tuning game for car obsessives only.

I would also say most RPG's are overrated. The 80+ hours of gameplay they boast is no good if more then half of that gamplay is spent in boring random battles against the same eniemies over and over again. FFX being a good example of this.

Myst? I haven't played it, but I do remember it being remarkably the "game of the year" in a lot of PC mags, when I think all it was (at the time) was just a game with impressive graphics? A friend tells me there isn't even anyone to talk to in the game, just a big baron world. I would definatly think this game would be the most overated game, if I'm correct, but I implore anyone who's played the game in detail to come and inform me.

Hmmm, well opinion is opinion. My bias is that its a good game... it had hard puzzles, a huge world, immersive sound effects, depth, story, graphics, and all made by two guys in a garage including the (maybe little) acting of what characters are in it.

- Final Fantasy VII

- Tomb Raider (All)

- Grand Theft Auto (All)

- Tekken (All)

- Soul Calibur

- Garou Mark of the Wolves

- All the 3D Mortal Kombat games

- Age of Empires (All)

- All FPS games

Well, hopefully not setting myself up for a flame, but I'd consider KOTOR one of the most overrated games of the last few years. I bought it when it first came out and beat it in like a day and a half. As much as I like the star wars movie series, I just really couldn't get into this game. I'm just glad it was short.

How in THE HELL can you say FFVII was overrated Des? That is one of the best FF rpg's besides VI aka 3. And it is probably one of my fav rpg's of all time.

I would probably say FF VIII, X or X-2. All were criticaly acclaimed. And all sucked in my opinion. Terrible stories. Slow gameplay. Bad design. I could go on and on. As for Xenogears. I will agree the gameplay was slow at times. The story is what really kept the game together.

Hmm, I'm going to go with Metroid. Don't get me wrong, it's a good game, but it's probably the worst game in its series.

Originally posted by Jaded God@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:25 AM

How in THE HELL can you say FFVII was overrated Des? That is one of the best FF rpg's besides VI aka 3. And it is probably one of my fav rpg's of all time.

[post=122160]Quoted post[/post]​

I believe I remember her saying, that while it is a very good game, everybody blew it out of proportion.

I agree. I'll always love FFVII, but it does seem a bit overrated.

Another game I think is overrated is Chrono Trigger. Great game, I loved it, but it's nowhere near as godlike as everyone says it is. The plot didn't get real interesting until the final 1/4 of the game, but it went at a brisk enough pace to keep you playing until then.

Everybody's gonna hate me, but I think FFVI was pretty blah as well. It just couldn't keep me interested enough to keep playing. FFIV on the other hand, now THAT'S a game!

Jet Set Radio was awesome... But I disliked that bs Xbox Jet Set Radio Future... You didn't even have to do anything to do awesome grinds and moves... just keep pressing different buttons and took out the raw fun of the original.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 05:58 AM

- Final Fantasy VII

- Tomb Raider (All)

- Grand Theft Auto (All)

- Tekken (All)

- Soul Calibur

- Age of Empires (All)

- All FPS games

[post=122145]Quoted post[/post]​

I agree with all of those. I'd add Xenogears, Xenosaga, Super Smash Bros, the list could be endless.

Originally posted by Des-ROW+Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 10:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 10:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>- Final Fantasy VII

- Tomb Raider (All)

- Grand Theft Auto (All)

- Tekken (All)

- Soul Calibur

- Age of Empires (All)

- All FPS games

[post=122145]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

I'll agree with all of those except for MOTW (it not very highly-rated). Also not ALL FPS are over-rated. And I never like any of the MK series

Originally posted by Jaded God@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 10:19 PM

Jet Set Radio was awesome... But I disliked that bs Xbox Jet Set Radio Future... You didn't even have to do anything to do awesome grinds and moves... just keep pressing different buttons and took out the raw fun of the original.

[post=122180]Quoted post[/post]​

I'll second that remark. the orignal JGR/JSR was one of the most underated games of the early 21st century, but the sequal's controls were made to be too easy. I think that was because a lot of people initially thought the original's controls were too tricky (before getting used to them).

<!--QuoteBegin-RolfWrenWalsh
@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 12:30 AM

Can't forget Super Smash Brothers. I HATE that game!

[post=122187]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

ditto

JGR I just never understood, frusterating as hell, covered in gloss, cool music but I still just didn't get it.

Doom, Half-Life....there just FPS...why does everyone wait eternity for these to come out?

FABLE...ach, good? meh....overated? YES!

GTA...good game, shouldn't get all the attention it deserves.

Series:

Virtua Fighter

Crazy Taxi

Resident Evil

Tomb Raider

Sonic

Ridge Racer

Final Fantasy

Shenmue

Titles:

Capcom vs SNK 2

Marvel vs Capcom

Marvel vs Crapcom 2

SNK vs Capcom ( Really overrated game its so bad, art so phukd, gameplay so corny I wonder why people wanted it for DC).

and so on..

Back