What do you think the most overrated game(s) is?

Originally posted by Supergrom@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 03:39 PM

if des can go as broad to say that all FPS are overrated, i guess i can say i think all RPGs are overrated. there are much better ways to tell a compelling story that dont involve slow random turn based battles. blech.

[post=122178]Quoted post[/post]​

Now your catching on! :banana :banana If you want a good story, you RPG lovers, then READ a book! Games are for playing, not for reading! :banana :banana

Btw, I think most of you are just saying if a game is popular it's overated, regardless of how good it is. And for games which are not-popular (or "don't get the attention they deserve") then they are underrated, regardless of how good they are. You see, there is a difference between a good game, and a good game that is popular, but your putting them both in the same basket (called overrated).

All non-Japanese RPG games are horrible, and over-rated. I do not understand why "western" players are so obsessed with "freedom" and dislike stories.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:37 PM

All non-Japanese RPG games are horrible, and over-rated. I do not understand why "western" players are so obsessed with "freedom" and dislike stories.

[post=122206]Quoted post[/post]​

And all women should be in the kitchen cooking instead of making generalizations about videogames?

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:01 PM

And all women should be in the kitchen cooking instead of making generalizations about videogames?

Since that is a question - NO.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 03:41 AM

WHOA!

Oh hell no!

VF is one of the most UNDERRATED series.

VF is NOT overrated...

[post=122200]Quoted post[/post]​

Its overrated by you :thumbs-up:

That one was just to mess with ya.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 12:08 AM

Since that is a question - NO.

[post=122215]Quoted post[/post]​

Just to prove you wrong, I suggest you go play some Korean and Chinese RPG's, there are many that are great quality, better than the same churned out crap that Square pumps out that I'm sure you drool over. (Heroine Anthem k?) Also, many American developers put out great games.

Just because someone is white doesn't mean they make bad videogames, much as in the fact that just because you are a woman, doesn't qualify you to make my sammich (or....?) :smash

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey+Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkankinMonkey @ Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just to prove you wrong, I suggest you go play some Korean and Chinese RPG's, there are many that are great quality, better than the same churned out crap that Square pumps out that I'm sure you drool over. (Heroine Anthem k?) Also, many American developers put out great games.

[/b]

My mistake. Let me rephrase, All non-Asian RPGs are horrible and over-rated.

Great games? What? KOTOR? Morrowind? Fable? Neverwinter Nights?

<!--QuoteBegin-SkankinMonkey
@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:28 PM

Just because someone is white doesn't mean they make bad videogames, much as in the fact that just because you are a woman, doesn't qualify you to make my sammich (or....?) :smash

[/quote]

Sure, but I cannot predict the future. All current non-Asian RPGs are GTA clones with some action battle-system , stats and some dialogues.

If you're white (or born in a non asian country), I can only assume you're some kind of ultra-gaijin-otaku that thinks Japan and the rest of asia is perfect.

If you're asian, you probably subscribe to the pre-war japan ethos of racial purity and assimilation that led to the Japanese 'educating' all the other asian countries.

If you look at the games coming from Japan, the main storyline in these games have been the same for the past 15 years now. The basic interface hasn't changed since FF1 except for graphical improvements. The Japanese market is saturated with the same game with different sprites for the most part.

As for American games sucking and only being GTA clones with battle-action systems? These games are highly innovative and are striving to be different from the crap that square pumps out because they realize people are getting sick of playing the same rehashed crap. Sure, not all of it turns out great, but some of this stuff is ingenious.

To create a better product you have to experiment and take risks, the american market is doing that, the japanese market is not. They have found a mold that works and have stuck to it. This does not make it good, at all.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:45 PM

If you're white (or born in a non asian country), I can only assume you're some kind of ultra-gaijin-otaku that thinks Japan and the rest of asia is perfect.

If you're asian, you probably subscribe to the pre-war japan ethos of racial purity and assimilation that led to the Japanese 'educating' all the other asian countries.

If you look at the games coming from Japan, the main storyline in these games have been the same for the past 15 years now.  The basic interface hasn't changed since FF1 except for graphical improvements.  The Japanese market is saturated with the same game with different sprites for the most part.

As for American games sucking and only being GTA clones with battle-action systems?  These games are highly innovative and are striving to be different from the crap that square pumps out because they realize people are getting sick of playing the same rehashed crap.  Sure, not all of it turns out great, but some of this stuff is ingenious.

To create a better product you have to experiment and take risks, the american market is doing that, the japanese market is not.  They have found a mold that works and have stuck to it.  This does not make it good, at all.

*yawn*

Square is not the only Japanese development team, and Final Fantasy is not the only Japanese game series, just letting you know.

Let's experiment. Let's make games about going around "freely", killing people, mass-murder, Matrix effects, no story at all, big guns, big cars, explosions, rappers, horrible MTV-based soundtracks, and several other tools to help people do what they do not dare to do in real life.

Oh, and if we make a fighting game, let's make it the most disgusting a worthless thing ever created. But let's make it "controvertial".

Anyway, me liking Asian-only (some Western games are good, really good) games all of a sudden renders me into some kind of Nazi, simply amazing.

No, it makes you a close-minded ethnocentrist. And not every game is GTA, or mortal kombat, as you like to put it, but there are clones of them.

And when you try to question my knowledge about things, let's try not to overgeneralize. I never said you were a Nazi, I said that you subscribed to several of the key elements that japan did pre-ww2. And no, Japan was not a Nazi state. If you think so, I suggest you go and take history again and learn that Nazi's were in control of Germany, not Japan. Japan was an imperial state controlled by its army.

If you'd like a history lesson, I'd be glad to teach you one day, I am a East Asian history and cultural major, so I'm not just blowing steam when I talk about some things.

And no, Japan is not a magical land where everything is fine and dandy. And they don't like otaku either.

This discussion is pointless, because we all know that the greatest RPG ever, Fallout, was made by a western developer.

edit - just to key things up a bit more, why is it that the Japanese are so keen on Wizardry?

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 02:02 PM

And when you try to question my knowledge about things, let's try not to overgeneralize. I never said you were a Nazi, I said that you subscribed to several of the key elements that japan did pre-ww2. And no, Japan was not a Nazi state. If you think so, I suggest you go and take history again and learn that Nazi's were in control of Germany, not Japan. Japan was an imperial state controlled by its army.

If you'd like a history lesson, I'd be glad to teach you one day, I am a East Asian history and cultural major, so I'm not just blowing steam when I talk about some things.

And no, Japan is not a magical land where everything is fine and dandy. And they don't like otaku either.

No news to me.

The point is, this is not about being a "close minded ethnocentrist", this is about games, nothing else. If you want to take it to a higher level just to show that you have a cultural major, this is not the place or the time to do so, I am not interested in turning some stupid discussion into a battle about our own life ideals. You do not know me at all, you are just making some stupid assumptions you should keep to yourself.

Oh, and darling, I am Japanese, so stop with the "otaku" idiocy, please.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:15 AM

No news to me.

The point is, this is not about being a "close minded ethnocentrist", this is about games, nothing else. If you want to take it to a higher level just to show that you have a cultural major, this is not the place or the time to do so, I am not interested in turning some stupid discussion into a battle about our own life ideals. You do not know me at all, you are just making some stupid assumptions you should keep to yourself.

Oh, and darling, I am Japanese, so stop with the "otaku" idiocy, please.

[post=122251]Quoted post[/post]​

Ok, then you just proved my point. You refuse to debate any valid points other than 'japan's games are the best ^____^' and offer absolutely NO points to backup your claim.

And sorry for thinking you were a white japan-obsessed otaku! It's just that all the native born Japanese that I know are capable of intelligent point-based debates and are generally more humble and willing to concede legitimate points when they are wrong. :)

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey+Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 02:21 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SkankinMonkey @ Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 02:21 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok, then you just proved my point. You refuse to debate any valid points other than 'japan's games are the best ^____^' and offer absolutely NO points to backup your claim.

[/b]

"All current non-Asian RPGs are GTA clones with some action battle-system, stats and some dialogues."

"Let's experiment. Let's make games about going around "freely", killing people, mass-murder, Matrix effects, no story at all, big guns, big cars, explosions, rappers, horrible MTV-based soundtracks, and several other tools to help people do what they do not dare to do in real life.

Oh, and if we make a fighting game, let's make it the most disgusting a worthless thing ever created. But let's make it "controvertial"."

<!--QuoteBegin-SkankinMonkey
@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 02:21 PM

And sorry for thinking you were a white japan-obsessed otaku! It's just that all the native born Japanese that I know are capable of intelligent point-based debates and are generally more humble and willing to concede legitimate points when they are wrong. :)

[/quote]

Good job overgeneralizing :rolleyes:

In the other hand, I am not suprised by you, a male who is not "willing to concede legitimate points when he is wrong" just because he has a major.

Originally posted by SkankinMonkey@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:45 PM

They have found a mold that works and have stuck to it. This does not make it good, at all.

[post=122238]Quoted post[/post]​

For a series it's good. :devil

Back