What was your first 3D Accelerated Card?

Matrox Millennium 2, followed by a Matrox m3D (1st gen PowerVR), a Matrox G200 and a Matrox G550. Spot a trend?

I think it was an ATi Rage 3D, IIRC. That was in 1998; I was an Amiga user until I got that machine (had no choice, my Amiga blew up).

It was a Matrox Mystique for me too :D (the 2MB version)

I'm still using it in my second computer, and it works like a charm ...

well my first PC, the HP my parents bought came w/ a Nvidia Vanta LT 8meg, the first card I actually bought was a 9700 pro :).

Diamond Monster Fusion AGP 16MB (with the Voodoo Banshee chipset) on my first custom built PC.

Together with my Pentium II 412MHz, 128MB PC100 SDRAM, 17 inch Sony Trinitron monitor, and Altec Lansing ADA-305 Digital Powercube speakers, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time ran near perfect using the UltraHLE emulator. That was back in February of 1999, IIRC.

Fast-forward four and a half years later to July of 2003... my second videocard would be an ATI All-In-Wonder 9800 PRO 128MB in combo with my 21 inch flat display Sony Trinitron monitor. Spot a trend? ^^;

My first 3D accelerator was the Diamond Stealth 3 S540 32MB (AKA S3 Savage 4 Pro).. and I still have it today (somewhere). I loved that card :)

On the other hand, my first ever graphics card was an ATi Mach 32 with 2MB of RAM. :drool:

My first graphics card (i.e. non-integrated graphics) was a Diamond Stealth64 Video (S3 Trio64 chipset). I think my first 3D card was a Diamond Viper V770 (NVidia Riva TNT2). My current card is an ATI Radeon 8500, which I intend to keep until an AMD64 / PCI Express platform amounts to something other than an expensive open beta program (at which point I'll probably upgrade to whatever is on the peak of the price curve, adjusting for whatever has good Linux and X.Org support; this probably means whatever the budget retooling of the R400 family ends up being).

Matrox Millenium, though I forget exactly which iteration... I remember that it had a strange little slot that could be used to upgrade the memory I think.

It was in my Pentium II, the first PC I built myself! =)

~Krelian

P.S.: My P2 was also that last Intel I ever owned... :smash

You guys really remember this stuff? Damn, I sometimes can't remember exactly what kind of Geforce I have at the moment.

Actually my comment was more me being ambarassed to admit that the the 2 Geforce Ti4200's (each in different comps) are the first and only vid cards i have ever owned. I owned a few computers before this. two PCs that used onboard video. One of which was this junk old HP 75 mhz piece of crap which I used up until about early 2000. I learned a lot from that hunk a junk though! Before that I had a Tandy... I think that is onboard video. I don't know that was back when I was like 8 or something. Back when a Tandy computers where MADE!

Voodoo 1, 4Mb here. Cost a pretty penny at the time too. :)

Unfortunately I've got a Matrox Millenium rotting away in a headless firewall ATM. Such a waste... :/

My first non-integrated card was a Diamond Monster 3D II with 8MB. It kicked some serious ass with Quake II :D

Originally posted by ExCyber

...which I intend to keep until an AMD64 / PCI Express platform amounts to something other than an expensive open beta program...

It's painful to watch the slow trickle of boards. But there is a choice at this point. And it's kind of cool that you can get a semi-SLI board with a simple pencil modification on a NF4 Ultra board (something I assume nVidia will change in future revisions if they can).

I think most people that have been having problems at this stage are those that bought the ASUS SLI board. Then again I haven't really looked at the reviews for any of the other offerings. I'm just glad I have some time before I buy the bulk of my new rig.

Back