which guitar should i get

I have a Digitech RP7-Valve mutli-effects processor. Ironically my effects processor has a real vacuum tube in it while my amp does not (transtube). It's a stereo effects processor, so I have two identical amps. That's why I picked an amp that had the good, deep clean-through sound, so that it would accurately reproduce the effects. I don't like the sound of the stock distortion on any amp I've tried, even expensive marshall's and mesa boogies. Maybe it sounds different when you plug it into a huge stack and crank it. But I prefer to retain my sense of hearing.

The RP7 has pretty good cabinet emulation, and sounds pretty good plugged straight into a receiver or computer or mixer. But a real amp is definitely needed to give it that "punch". I haven't tried out the new Digitech GNX series. If you believe the pamphlets they claim real good amp modelling. But until then I turn the cabinet emulation off and let my Peavey's do the rest.

I don't like over-processed sounds. I don't like the way line-6 stuff sounds at all (except for high-sustain solo). And I don't like chorus effect, or anything that bends the notes out of tune (unless I"m purposefully doing something whacky with a flanger or phaser), because it just makes the guitar sound out of tune and starts to lose its color.

I was practicing some Tony MacAlpine-style tremolo work (not that he's particularly known for it, but I love how he uses it in some solos to let the notes flow through each other) as well as trying to get my pull-up and -down accuracy up to par with Steve Vai. I think it was the aformentioned problem of re-hitting the bridge at the neutral point over several years that weakened it at the point where it touched the cap.

I got to see G3 last fall with Malmsteen, Vai, and Satriani. And for quite the suprise, MacAlpine was the keys and backing guitar #2 for Vai! The whole show was amazing. Definitely glad I had strong earplugs though. The sound crew must be completly deaf or something. It was so loud that the sound was cracked and distorted (more than intended) from being pumped out past the speakers/amps recommended threshold. But the earplugs filtered out the cracking so it sounded like it should sound. I was reading reviews, and everyone who did not wear earplugs was complaining about the horrible sound quality and the cracking and distortion and muddling together of notes. But everyone who wore eatplugs got to hear it much better and thought the sound was great. I really don't know what it is with the pursuit of hearing loss by the majority of musicians and concert afficionados.

On a semi-related topic:

Does anyone know a company that will paint my guitar like Eddie Van Halen's if I send it in?

If you live in a metropolitan area, any custom/repair shop would probably do it. But be aware that it will cost you! A good proffesionally done custom paint job and finish is very labor and time intensive.

If you just want an exact replica, grab some spray paint and tape and go to town. That's what EVH did.

Back