Which has better picture, PAL 60Hz or NTSC 60 Hz?

I applaud ExCyber for nicely and efficiently answering 007's question. I was wondering, is DVI also straight RGB, and if so, why did they make it? I know there are DVI -> VGA adapters, which leads me to think it was a largely worthless development, or is it?

As for Jurai, I have no idea why (sarcasm), but you always come off as an a-hole. Can anyone else help me figure out why that is?

Originally posted by Alexvrb@May 11, 2003 @ 12:07 PM

I applaud ExCyber for nicely and efficiently answering 007's question. I was wondering, is DVI also straight RGB, and if so, why did they make it? I know there are DVI -> VGA adapters, which leads me to think it was a largely worthless development, or is it?

As for Jurai, I have no idea why (sarcasm), but you always come off as an a-hole. Can anyone else help me figure out why that is?

DVI is a purely digital interface. It's meant for LCD monitors and avoids the digital-analog-digital conversion that would normally be done by them with standard VGA signals.

There are actually 3 kinds of DVI connections: DVI-A carries analog RGB/VGA, DVI-D carries digital RGB, and DVI-I carries both the DVI-A and DVI-D signals. Generally speaking, video cards have DVI-I outputs, and display devices have either DVI-A or DVI-D depending on which works better for them. This (in principle) makes it feasible to produce widely compatible video cards without requiring two different connectors. The DVI to VGA adapters simply take the DVI-A signal and make it available on a VGA connector, while LCD and other digital-friendly displays use the DVI-D signal.

*yadda yadda DVI explaination already answered*

As for Pal 60, it doesn't call for NTSC resolution. However, PAL60 TV's will play NTSC sync video with PAL color, and that's what DVD players call "PAL60 support". Never the less game consoles on selected games will output true PAL60.

Originally posted by ExCyber@May 11, 2003 @ 06:20 PM

There are actually 3 kinds of DVI connections: DVI-A carries analog RGB/VGA, DVI-D carries digital RGB, and DVI-I carries both the DVI-A and DVI-D signals. Generally speaking, video cards have DVI-I outputs, and display devices have either DVI-A or DVI-D depending on which works better for them.

Ah, well that is good. If it was purely digital it would make the transition harder.

if I recall correctly ancient EGA video cards used digital RGB too... talk about a step back
tongue.gif

Wow Antipasta, you're actually right. Good memory!

But then it's not really a step back when you consider that EGA provided all of 8 colors which were simply combinations of the three RGB colors - each one was either on or off. I think you could have 16 colors by repeating the same 8 at half the brightness, too - I don't recall exactly.

But the point is things were MUCH simpler then. Today's digital DVI uses 24 bits for the RGB colors instead of just 3, AND you have much higher resolutions, etc...

Originally posted by Alexvrb@May 11, 2003 @ 05:07 PM

Jurai doesn't know how to make friends, that's all there is to it
wink.gif

ohmy.gif
all the sudden the topic that topic that I started has gone to the point where I can no longer keep up with the conversationm what are you guys talking about?
huh.gif

blink.gif

Originally posted by 007@May 13, 2003 @ 01:37 AM

ohmy.gif
all the sudden the topic that topic that I started has gone to the point where I can no longer keep up with the conversationm what are you guys talking about?
huh.gif

blink.gif

buttsex with racketboy

Heh... It's not that Jurai doesn't know how to make friends - he DOES know how to make enemies, that's the problem.
smile.gif

Thanks, Jurai, for illustrating my point in advance.
rolleyes.gif

Back