win 98 and the 4 gig file restriction

i just installed a dvd burner in my pc for transfering home movies to dvd -- i had problems with the drive in windows xp so i downgraded to win98 and the drive works perfectly fine

now the problem i have is that i cant create files larger than 4gig

when i tried to back up my nephews dvds ( that he likes to throw around and stick into the vcr) -- i would get an error telling me the files are larger than 4 gig -- i tried making a disk to disk copy and the program would get an error close to the end

-- is there a work around for this - a hack mabey -- or is it just imposible to do in FAT32

my next alternative is to try win2000

The 4 gig limit is a limitation of Fat32 - I don't think there is any way around this. You really need NTFS (or a network attached linux box?) so I guess that means 2k or XP...

If you look on an actual DVD you'll notice the movie files are actually split up into 2gb chunks. This is also becuase the DVD file system has a similiar file size limitation to FAT32. You could always just rip the dvd to your HD using the many ripping tools out there, then burn those files as a DVD. I've never done it myself but that should work. (And when I say burn I mean use a proper DVD-Video authoring program to make a proper DVD-Video disc using those files.)

I always thought that the file size limitation in Win9x was 2 GB, not 4.

But anyway, why don't we determine what the problem accessing the DVD burner under WinXP is? Wanna elaborate on that, googlefest?
smile.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 22, 2003 @ 01:28 PM

But anyway, why don't we determine what the problem accessing the DVD burner under WinXP is? Wanna elaborate on that, googlefest?
smile.gif

its prolly xp sucking ass as usual for not having a built in aspi layer

Originally posted by Jurai+May 23, 2003 @ 07:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurai @ May 23, 2003 @ 07:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Taelon@May 22, 2003 @ 01:28 PM

smile.gif

its prolly xp sucking ass as usual for not having a built in aspi layer [/b][/quote]

yeah why is that

same with 2K.

although I have even more problems with ASPI layers than I do XP

2K and XP use something called IOCTL (I think) for simplified CD drive access vs. ASPI.

As for the ASPI layer itself, there's a right way of installing it and a wrong one. Download here:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/d...=aspi_471a2.exe

And make note of this:

For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors.

In other words, DON'T just doubleclick on ASPIINST.EXE, because that's the setup for 9x/ME systems. Does that solve your problem? I hope so.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 23, 2003 @ 05:20 PM

2K and XP use something called IOCTL (I think) for simplified CD drive access vs. ASPI.

As for the ASPI layer itself, there's a right way of installing it and a wrong one. Download here:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/d...=aspi_471a2.exe

And make note of this:

For Windows XP, select Start - Run from the menu, and then the Browse button. Locate the INSTALL.BAT file in the directory the files extracted to and select the OPEN button. In the command box, add a space and either XP32 for Pentium I/II/III/IV processors or XP64 for Itanium processors.

In other words, DON'T just doubleclick on ASPIINST.EXE, because that's the setup for 9x/ME systems. Does that solve your problem? I hope so.
smile.gif

I'll try it, but do I have to uninstall anything first for 2K?

Here's the problem I'm having:

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/p...6735&f=12009443

i was guessing it was an aspi thing - from reading the forums at cdrinfo -- people there seem to have the same problem -- thats why i temporariy switched back to win 98 ill try what you guys sugested

from what i read adaptec and MS are at odds with eachother regarding this thats why xp was set up the way it is -- dont know if it is true

also some people have solved thier problems with thier drives (not a GMA-4020B) by installing the service pack

thanks Taelon thats what i looked for before i got rid of xp and couldnt find it

i gues i was in too much of a hurry -- so now i have to find my missing xp disk

Yeah, aspi on XP (and 2k?) only needs a couple files copied some info. added to the registry (although it should work without, just might not be recognized by some programs). On Windows 98, aspi basically has to infect the whole system to be installed properly.

Originally posted by Zero 9@May 23, 2003 @ 05:45 PM

Yeah, aspi on XP (and 2k?) only needs a couple files copied some info. added to the registry (although it should work without, just might not be recognized by some programs). On Windows 98, aspi basically has to infect the whole system to be installed properly.

How dare thee bring forth such rubbish?

Hast thou no honor left in thy blood??

I can't speak for 2K/XP, but in Windows98, installing ASPI is a matter of adding/updating two - TWO - files in the Windows\System directory, then reboot. "Infect the whole system," my butt.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@May 23, 2003 @ 08:35 PM

How dare thee bring forth such rubbish?

Hast thou no honor left in thy blood??

I can't speak for 2K/XP, but in Windows98, installing ASPI is a matter of adding/updating two - TWO - files in the Windows\System directory, then reboot. "Infect the whole system," my butt.
tongue.gif

By infect he meant they're used by practically everything, not that the files go everywhere =)

this did solve my problem in xp -- thanks guys

i ended up buy the dvd again - i felt it was to damaged to back up and i didnt want my nephew singing and danceing to something that skips hes only 2 and i dodnt want him to get confused with the skiping

Back