Windows evil

I dont remember if you can or not in 2k, but comparing it to win95 makes no sense, 2k is based on the NT core. Win95 isn't.

In 2K it's probably in admin tools somewhere...

Thanks for the explanation gameboy900. :thumbs-up:

BTW you should keep the initial and max at the same amount if you're putting the swap file on a partition that has other files on it. But like in my case where it's the only file on the partition fragmentation is not a problem. The main reason for keeping the initial size smaller than the max and letting it expand as needed is that until it does expand you have less swap file fragmentation (internally). This means it uses the swap file more efficiently.

My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Performance Options.../Change...

Set the pagefile size to your largest working set, anything more is wasted.

Originally posted by gameboy900@Nov 4, 2003 @ 07:25 AM

BTW you should keep the initial and max at the same amount if you're putting the swap file on a partition that has other files on it. But like in my case where it's the only file on the partition fragmentation is not a problem. The main reason for keeping the initial size smaller than the max and letting it expand as needed is that until it does expand you have less swap file fragmentation (internally). This means it uses the swap file more efficiently.

so if I have it on a separate partition, I shouldn't keep it a constant size?

I've read otherwise

If it's on it's own partition you can just set the max size to the size of that partition and the initial size to the amount of ram you have. Those settings should be good enough.

Back