Windows Updates

Originally posted by cherok@May 26, 2003 @ 08:55 PM

Personally I use Winamp 2 and GDivX (global divx)

Both are very RAM friendly, plus are easy to use and accomodating to many different file types.

Neither have a slew of ads like real media or WM have either.

Since when does WMP have adds?

Originally posted by DBOY@May 22, 2003 @ 07:23 PM

I use Windows XP, not Linux. I use it because I like playing games -- which I couldn't under Linux. I use it because every office I ever worked at uses Microsoft Office -- which under Linux I couldn't.

Microsoft isn't evil, but I think this upgrade is currently a buggy pile of shit. I'll wait till at least two fixes are out before I try it again.

It was not fun reformating my computer so I could get WMP8 and DirectX8 since Microsoft doesn't give you the option of downgrafing back to your old version. And being able to play Royal Blood II, Heroine Anthem, Xian Xian Jian Qizia Chuan, You Cheng Huan Jian Li, and Magna Carta are infinitly more important than being able to say "I have the latest DirectX libraries -- which nothing uses yet."

And if all you need are the new Windows Media Player 9 codecs, you can download them off their website and use them in your current WMP. There's really no reason to upgrade it. Unless you're just DYING to try one of the new skins (yeah right).

So I guess you never heard of a little feature called a restore point. I'm not 100% sure but I believe DX9 makes one when it installs. And if it doesn't you should do it yourself.

For me installing DX9 actually FIXED problems I was having with DirectX games flickering a purple screen at me.

I think he was referring to WMP9, not DX9.

I had no problemo with DX9. Also I saw no difference whatsoever. But, no game uses it yet, anyway, and if they did, they'd prolly refuse to run on my GF2, since it has no magic pixel and vertex shaders.

It's a set of drivers that run on background, so it doesn't bothers me. I only had problems with DX stuff when I installed DX8.1 in my dad's computer (windows98), and only AFTER install it said the video card drivers were not 8.1 certified, and deactivated ALL direct3D AND Directdraw support. Not even Gens would run anymore, because it would crash when trying to create a DD window.

And the M$ support page simply told me I was f*cked and could do NOTHING else other than fresh-reinstall my windows.

Thanks god I found an unofficial tool that allows you to remove DirectX.

BTW, before anyone says "why didn't you get newer drivers?". Well the card's manufacturer decided not to make 8.1 versions of their drivers.

I use WMP9 and I have no problems with it...I have to keep the crappy visualisations off, they slowed me down like hell, even with my 2GHz processor
blink.gif

Back