Windows XP Clean Install Issue

schi0249

Mid Boss
After moving I decided it was the right time for a clean XP Pro install. Everything was working fine before. My XP disk has some minor surface scratches (and it is a bulk license.... no support). The disk boots fine and the install appears to go through. However once I boot up into XP I can tell something is wrong. In the control panel, many of the applications create errors and can not open. Also, even after installing ATI's drive the video is all F'd up. I tried using ISO buster to ripthee files and burn a new CD. (Yes I use a legit cd and key.) However, I still experience the same problem. I have used this CD many times on my PC since XP first came out. Any ideas? MS told me I needed to buy a new copy or CD. And no guarantees that would solve it. Thanks.

Update.... So I tried installing a different OS. And I had the same problems. I haven't tried a different HDD yet. The one I'm currently using is a PATA Maxtor.

Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem & needs to close. App: mshta.exe AppVer: 6.0.2600.0 ModName: unknown ModVer:0.0.0.0 Offset f3410098

This is the exact error message I get when try to access the user menu. I also get similar message when trying to access System, Add/remove programs, and many other control panel applications. I tried installing Win 98 SE and Win ME and ran into similar problems. Also ran into the same problem when I striped it the machine down to 1 stick of memory, an old PCI gfx card., CDRW, and PATA hdd.

At this point I am sure it is hardware, but what? I eliminated it to system board, processor, or both stciks of memory. Can anyone recommend a good barebones builder? With school I so don't have time to screw around with a PC much.

Probably a dumb question, but out of curiosity -- have you installed all the windows updates yet?

I was able to install through SP2. IE crashes upon opening so I can't install any further. Ice, I know you work on PC's? Any help would be great. If I had money I would take it in to a shop or order some new parts. But I quit my job to go back to school full time.

You should try doing a disk scan. If the disk looks good then try reformatting it and starting over again.

Is the computer connected to the internet all the time? As in, while you are installing windows and applying patches? Do you have any kind of firewall in place?

I'm guessing your PC is getting attacked while it's in an unpatched state, corrupting various programs before you get a chance to plug the holes. If you can, get copies of SP2 and all the latest patches on CD, and build the PC up offline.

Check your hard drive for bad sectors through the hdd manufacturers tools.

Also use memtest+ to check your memory for errors.

Sounds like a hardware problem.

The install is taking place before I connect to my router. I did a scandisk and it found nothing, and I have reformat maybe a dozen times. Ice, I will try checking both of those things. If they come up good, should I replace both the system board and processor? I currently have an nforce 2 board with an xp 1800+ in it.

It does sound like a corrupt file problem, although not necessarily bad hardware. You're install disc may be bad, that's happened to me on occasion.

I had all sorts of problems with an XP install a while back and it was all down to a bad stick of RAM.

As Ice said, memtest86+ is the way to go.

I am in the process of running memtest, and it is all going well so far. I also have the diagnostic software for my hdd which i will run afterwards. Does anyone have a suggestion for a diagnostic software i can run to test my system board/processor? I have an nforce 2 board w/ athlon xp 1800+. I am looking for a free option that is bootable from either cd/dvd or floppy.

So I ran memtest for about 24 hours and it reported no errors. Then I ran the HDD tools and they reported no errors. The other strange thing I noticed is intermittently my PC does not detect the devices on my primary IDE controller. With that all, I am leaning to think my system board is bad. My question is this, if memtest didn't find errors, am I safe reusing my memory? Being unemployeed I am gonna be doing this on the cheap.

Back