Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I missed something, but in response to:

"Can Play MP3s?"

Yes, it can. It can rip/encode your CD into MP3's and play them back. Some games have the option to play the MP3's on the drive, instead of the normal soundtrack. No special software is needed. It cannot, afaik, play MP3's off a CD out of the box, though.

I made my decision:

I will buy a Xbox!

Xbox will have Metal Gear too!

And like MTXBlau said, I want to play good games!

Sega made good games and are supporting the Xbox with a lot of games!

I don't like M$, but they made a great console...

i wouldn't buy a ps2 for one simple reason its the same price as an xbox, and how outdated is the hardware. I mean it has like nothin for ram it only has a wierd 266mhz processor and i have played games on it and i have played psx games the gfx detail on ps2 din't even go up all that much the only diff is the games are more complex. but i want a big black box since there are a few games on it i like and the fact that atleast some of the hardware is upgradable and the whole homebrew scene.

Originally posted by sonik@July 23 2002, 8:52 pm

I made my decision:

I will buy a Xbox!

And like MTXBlau said, I want to play good games!

Sega made good games and are supporting the Xbox with a lot of games!

I don't like M$, but they made a great console...

You're making a big mistake ???

Sega is by far supporting the PS2 the most this year, in fact more Sega games are coming to the PS2 then GC & Xbox combined...

If you mean Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance, then, that is making its way to the PS2, as well. I'm not sure if it will have any extra features or not (as compared to the XBox) since it is coming out later. Actually, the game is simply Metal Gear Solid 2 with mini games and you'll be able to play through the game as other characters (the ninja, for example). I plan to buy Metal Gear Solid 2 when Substance comes out because the price should drop (and the game just isn't worth $50 to me).

I mean it has like nothin for ram it only has a wierd 266mhz processor and i have played games on it and i have played psx games the gfx detail on ps2 din't even go up all that much the only diff is the games are more complex

295Mhz processor, actually. Which barely matters. The PS2 doesn't use PC architecture like the XBox. It is designed for running PS2 games (in particular) as fast as possible. I read in a gaming magazine (I'll find proof of this later) that after the unique architecture of the PS2 is taken into consideration, the console is basically running at the equivalent of 912 MHz.

"Can Play MP3s?"

Yes, it can. It can rip/encode your CD into MP3's and play them back.

no, it can't. they are WMA files, not mp3.

after the unique architecture of the PS2 is taken into consideration, the console is basically running at the equivalent of 912 MHz.

that's plain bullshit.

it's along the same line as "ps2 can display 30 billion polygons at once".. sure, if they are 1 pixel big, completely untextured and without effects.

ps2 is way too expensive for its age. the hardware is outdated, to use a HD you need to buy it for alot of money, to use netplay you need to buy additional stuff.

mind you, I own both a ps2 and xbox, and both have their advantages.. but right now, the xbox offers MUCH more for the money.

Alright, Arakon. I'm really starting to agree with your "Asshole" custom member title. Can mine be "Arakon's Bitch"? You keep making me look dumb. Anywho. I'll find that damn article. Just watch, damn it. How about I just make a comment and you refute it?

I was thinking that PS2 was supposed to be able to display a lot more polygons than 30 million per second. Something like 100 million and XBox was 110 million or something along those lines. Once your numbers get that high, I doubt a few million here and there really matter anymore. ::Shrugs::

-EDIT- 100 million on PS2, not 10

Originally posted by Arakon@July 23 2002, 10:07 pm

ps2 is way too expensive for its age. the hardware is outdated, to use a HD you need to buy it for alot of money, to use netplay you need to buy additional stuff.

mind you, I own both a ps2 and xbox, and both have their advantages.. but right now, the xbox offers MUCH more for the money.

By who, you?Yeah to play games online(with the PS2) you have to buy the network adapter,($40 ooh big deal) so what?When you take into account the fact that with Xbox Live or whatever, you have to pay $50 for it,(for the first year) and then $10 a month after that first year, in addition to the price for broadband internet service,($40-$50 a month) its alot more!Most PS2 games will be free to play online,(yeah, i know a few will be broadband only) plus it at least gives you the choice to play games online with either 56k or broadband...

Originally posted by Michaias@July 24 2002, 1:16 pm

Alright, Arakon. I'm really starting to agree with your "Asshole" custom member title. Can mine be "Arakon's Bitch"?

Be careful what you wish for.
biggrin.gif

ahh the sony fan boys hehehe, oh well i would love to have any of em and since i don't do net play with any of my games i guess i'd still go with xbox
tongue.gif
if i had to pick between the three consoles even if it was gc vs ps2 i'd go with gc. i dunno i really like smash bros. melee.
biggrin.gif
oh oh and another thing xbox is prolly got the jam to emulate ps2 so hehehe why get both consoles. ???

Yeah....I know absolutely shit about emulation, but I am going to learn this shit and then emulate the XBox on the PS2....Thereby, abolishing any need for the XBox. Yes, it will all be part of my master plan to take down Microsoft (one of the few things that still motivates me).

And, yeah, I have to agree with the Smash Bros. Melee comment. I'm addicted to that game like crack.

Originally posted by Arakon@July 22 2002, 10:07 pm

"Can Play MP3s?"

Yes, it can. It can rip/encode your CD into MP3's and play them back.

no, it can't. they are WMA files, not mp3.

Whoops, it appears you're right. I thought I had read somewhere that they were in fact in MP3 format, but upon further investigation, and your pointing it out, I was wrong.

Sorry, my mistake...

Originally posted by Michaias@July 23 2002, 2:32 am

Yeah....I know absolutely shit about emulation, but I am going to learn this shit and then emulate the XBox on the PS2...

You'd have to rewrite the Xbox games to run on the PS2. And that is no small task.

I hate to say it, but the PS2 is as grainy as the PSX(!!!); games like Panzer Dragoon Orta wouldn't be able to run on a PS2... just by looking you can tell the PS2 doesn't have enough horsepower (if it does, how come no one has seen it yet?).

Besides, from what I read, the PS2 requires some funky coding to get anything to work, whereas the XBox's is pretty straightforward, as it is a PC... I think that's one of the reasons why Oddworld jumped ship way back when.

Fanboys tend to not notice the positive effect of having multiple consoles to choose from: it means less garbage titles. When the PSX had no real competition, titles like Army Men vol. 1 billion kept coming out. Competition forces mediocrity to the wayside.

Ah, another Xbox thread, gotta love it. Xbox is in fact a better system graphically than the Ps2. Ps2 may have more games but thats only because it has been out for what 2 years now? Xbox was only released in november here. Xbox has the BIG sega titles being released for it (panzer orta, toejam & earl etc.) For the most part people on here that slander the system are in fact sony boosters and havent actually played the box, and if they have only played it for 15 minutes and ONLY played halo. I personally own a box, and I'm quite impressed. The only thing that I didnt like about the sytem is that if the system isnt modded, you cant make ripped cd's into soundtracks. The only audio cd's that the system will read and copy to soundtracks are real pressed audio cd's that you have to buy from a store. Plus xbox already has a HDD broadband and internet service coming shortly. Think of all that as a cost, XB Live will be 50 for the entire year I believe is what they had on their webpage. Sony will most likely charge for internet access monthly at a ridiculous rate, you have to buy the HDD and modem or broadband adapter. Main issue is cost here, Sony has to keep "the machine" running and milk the consumer for what they are worth. I still think xbox is by far the more superior system in the fact the graphics are better, you get more bang for your buck and it has some really great quality games on the way.

Oh and for the most part the shitty games that are available for the box are also made for the Ps2, so keep that in mind.

Just some of my thoughts.

Are you saying that the Xbox is just going to magically have as many games as the PS2 soon?Panzer Dragoon Orta and ToeJam & Earl the big titles?!!Panzer Dragoon will be good, so now the Xbox will have 1 good game.(not enough to buy a system for)Problem is most people havent heard of Panzer Dragoon, im real curious as to how Segas going to market it to the casual gamer...Toejam & Earl?!! am i the only one here who didnt care for that series?!!(*shrugs* more Xbox owners desperate for quality software)Online gaming is free on the PS2, with the exception of certain games having a monthly charge.

Not true! ! !

I'm on the edge of buying an X-Box cause of Panzer Dragoon Orta! Online game is free for PS2 cause it doesn't exist yet.
biggrin.gif

*changes his mind*

No. I must wait for the Shining Force before buying a console!

I was thinking that PS2 was supposed to be able to display a lot more polygons than 30 million per second. Something like 100 million and XBox was 110 million or something along those lines. Once your numbers get that high, I doubt a few million here and there really matter anymore. ::Shrugs::

The PS2 is getting up to around 5 million on it's latest games... the XBox and GC are up to 13million + in a game

Sega is by far supporting the PS2 the most this year, in fact more Sega games are coming to the PS2 then GC & Xbox combined...

Yep, but a lot of them are DC ports due to the similar GFX capabillities of the systems

I wouldn't buy a ps2 for one simple reason its the same price as an xbox, and how outdated is the hardware.

Sony were going to drop the price, but after a couple of months the XBox didn't seem like a threat to them anywhere but the US

let's put it this way..

you buy an xbox and get: *lists emulators and some ported games*

They are all on DC too (Well, 80%)... and a lot of them are fast, some just need some tweaking to SH4 ASM and we'll start to see some really good speed.... better thing about a DC is that it doesn't need a chip either
wink.gif

lets put it another way...

if you have a computer, you have no reason to own a Xbox...

Thats just plain ignorant..... "Hey, if you have a DC, theres no reason to buy a PS2!"
tongue.gif

Damn it, man! 40 Gig HDD....coming out....for....PS2....Do same stuff (emulators and such) as XBox....5 times as much space....Linux....More stable OS....Ah....

Linux is coming to XBox.... and people don't like coding for the PS2 unless they want a challenge.... most XBox stuff just requires you to re-code the GUI and hit "compile"

Yeah, I now own all 3.... I'm currently enjoying my GC because I like the Nintendo style of game, but XBox is now in 2nd and my PS2 is hardly used now I have a dedicated DVD player
smile.gif

Panzer Dragoon will be good, so now the Xbox will have 1 good game.

Yep, much like the PS2s 9 or so good games with a huge time advantage and on inferior hardware

Oh, and for those that wish to play quality XBox games on your PC at some point, there is a glimmer of hope, this program takes an XBox executable and makes it Win32.... there is a version out so you can see it working, but there is no visual as there is no Kernal emulation yet, but it's a start!
smile.gif

http://www.caustik.com/cxbx/

Damn lazy programmers....CODE FOR THE PS2, BITCHES! Because I don't have $200 to go toward any other console....Hhmm....Gamecube, $150....I can maybe wing that....::Shrugs::....Soul Reaver 2 always looked "graphically impressive" to me. Am I just sadly mistaken or did we finally get programmers who weren't so damn lazy? Of course, Crystal Dynamics was also responsible for Soul Reaver 1....And it had horrible controls and camera angles (on Dreamcast, at least). But that was a port....Damn it! The contradictions go on and on! Someone, give me an opinion to hold!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back