32X on Early MegaDrive

Today I recieved a MegaDrive 1 and MegaCD 1... rather chuffed right now!

Anyway, next thing I need is the 32X... now I vagely remember reading at the time that some versions of the MegaDrive 1 were incompatible... namely the versions that did not have the 'Produced by or Under Licence from Sega Enterprises Ltd.' screen at the start.

Is this true, or just another false rumour? I'd really like to have the fully upgraded unit see!

For the record, I have a PAL MegaDrive 1, with 'High Definition Graphics, Stereo Sound' written on the top (which my other MegaDrive does not). It also does not display the aforementioned messege on startup.

Good to hear.

I kept hearing all these stories that the ones without the 'Produced by...' messege have no bios (yeah, sounds bloody insane doesn't it) and thus did not work. I was sceptical of that for obvious reasons, but I do remember reading about incompatibility issues in Sega Pro back in the day...

Yes, some early 32x models are incompatible with some first model megadrive.

This cause some Video Dis-synch after some minutes of play.

In europe, there was a stiker on the 32x box saying :

"Not compatible with MegaDrive 1".

However, i don't know how this was made for USA release.

I really dont know how you can tell. But I can verify that 1 of my 3 32X's does not work on my 1 of my model 1 Genny's. (just to clarify, i have 2 model 1 Gennys, 1 model 2 genny. And 3 32X's)

The one 32X will cause my older genny (has ext. port on back) to only show B+W sometimes, other times not work all together, and then if it does work it will go off sync after a little while and then finally freeze up.

And no its not the genny or the 32X being broken. Both work fine hooked up with any of the other systems.

Ah bugger, my MegaDrive is the one with the EXT port at the back.

Odd that it only happens on certain 32X's though... I simply assumed it was certain builds of MegaDrive that were the problem.

Well, if it doesn't work, you can always buy another MD for a bit of cash. Although the early model 1's are the best for playing Genesis games.

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov@Sat, 2005-01-15 @ 01:17 PM

Yes, some early 32x models are incompatible with some first model megadrive.

This cause some Video Dis-synch after some minutes of play.
[post=127821]Quoted post[/post]​

That's exactly what happens with my MD1 with no BIOS. I can play only for like 20 straight minutes, then the screen starts to shake more and more.

Originally posted by it290@Sun, 2005-01-16 @ 09:26 AM

Well, if it doesn't work, you can always buy another MD for a bit of cash. Although the early model 1's are the best for playing Genesis games.

[post=127836]Quoted post[/post]​

Right you are of course.

Well I just scored a 32X on EBay UK, suppose I'll find out for myself.

On a completely unrelated note, what actually used the 'EXT' serial port on the back of the early Genesis/MegaDrive?

From what I've heard, a modem and floppy drive were planned, but I don't know if they were ever released. Technically the port is the same as the controller ports though - they all have the serial mode.

The floppy drive was actually supposed to use the expansion connector that the Sega CD uses. The modem was released in Japan and I believe it was called the MegaModem. There were some Phantasy Star text adventures available for download or something like that.

Back