backing up question also virus/spyware question

well long time no post for me but i have two questions.my friend is having a really bad time with their computer, viruses, and spyware. my question is if i back up all their info(like personal stuff not the os and sytem files) to a external hard drive and then connect it to my computer to scan the files with every anti virus program and spyware program i have, would i be taking any risk in getting the viruses on my computer? I'm not talking about opening the files i'm just talking about scanning the hard drive with the programs. i know that if i went and opened the files and stuff i'd take a chance in getting anything that might have infected them. 2nd question what would, in your opinion, be the best antivirus program and anti spyware program, and why? but i dont want this to be the main topic unless my first question is easily answered.thanks everyone in advance for the suggestions and help

If you don't open the files you should be fine ...

My antivirus / antispyware is NOD32, I'm very happy with it, although it's not free ...

Avast is widely used too, and is free ;)

As long as you're not executing files on the hard drive, you should be fine.

Though, it's far better to try running one of the cds that dibz suggested.

Finally, to be 100% safe and secure, I suggest acquiring Knoppix, a linux distro that runs purely from CD-Rom. As of version 4, clam anti virus is installed as default. You can boot up, connect the external hard drive, and go to town with the scanning so that you have an added step of not even touching your windows installation for an initial scan. Clam AV by all accounts is good but not great - if nothing is found with CAV, then definitely boot into Windows and start scanning again.

The boot cd suggestion is a failsafe from getting your install also totaled.

so with all these boot cds they come with antivirus programs on the boot cd? i should be able to just do the scan on the computer that's infected with one of the boot cds and it would work fine? i mean i want to make sure i understand exactly basically the boot cd would prevent the os from booting and hence loading all the viruses so it would actually be more effient in removing the viruses? i mean right now i'm planning on backing up all their personal data on an external and scanning it with my computer because i dont know if using their computer to scan for viruses on the external would work. then trying to remove all the viruses and spyware on their computer without reformating, but if reformating is the only option then i have the data backed up.

Pretty much, yeah. The ones I mention and the one MTXBlau mentioned all have virus scanners on them, and don't boot from the hard drive at all.

You could always visit the links provided, the sites do list how they work and whats on the discs.

eh i looked at the sites i'll try the linux boot cd and also ubcd i always ask questions before i read things i like to have an understanding before i start reading it's like how text books are set up they pose some questions in the first part of a chapter to get you heading in the right direction for your readings

i can't figure out how to scan all files using ubcd for viruses and i can't find the antivirus program on knoppix

Back